Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping?

Well lets start with what all I have done.

New master cylinder
New slave cylinder
New fluid in trans.
Wrapped clutch line to trans.
LS7 clutch installed about 9 months ago maybe 5k miles on it with a new flywheel

Ok no on to what it is doing. Seems to only do this in the morning or when the car has sat and cooled off. When im stopped and try to get the car moving it feels like the clutch is slipping. Basically the whole car kinda shakes when i slowly let the clutch out.... well at least the shifter wiggles a lot. It wont do it at any other time. My guess is maybe the flywheel is glazed over or the clutch is. Any thoughts would be great
Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like chatter...though this is less common on organic materials like those used in stock clutches. That being said, slippage would be evident by increased RPM's but no resultant power to the wheels. I don't think you are seeing slippage at all. What flywheel is being used? Was it new when installed?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I had a new flywheel installed due to the old one was toast. It wasa stock flywheel replacement. I thought it felt like chatter myself. Could I have a oil leak on the flywheel that once it is hot enough to burn the oil off it stops? Can the flywheel get glazed over like a break rotor?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Contamination is possible but with an organic disc it wouldn't burn off completely and you really would see slippage. As for glazing, the disc is what would glaze and this is possible. If you want to pull it and post some pics I will be happy to let you know what I see. Thanks!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I do not have access to a lift atm, nor the funds to have someone pull the tranny. I just wanted to verify what I was thinking was going on. Im guessing I must of glazed the disc over and need to replace it. The problem isnt all that bad its just some cold startups it will chatter on me.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

If the problem goes away after the car warms up then it is unlikely related to glazing. A glazed disc will be glazed when cold or hot. This sounds like chatter, which can in fact be worse when cold then when hot. If the car shifts fine and all works well otherwise the continue driving it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah well it has been doing it for about 3 months now. But there is no drivablilty issue, just a shaking when i let the clutch out in 1st, when cold, sometimes LOL. Thanks for your input
Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright so I started to swap out the clutch fluid for synthetic. Im not sure if I made the chatter worse, but it is. I was just going to every couple days drain the overflow and replace it with synthetic. Should i do a complete bleed on the system?