Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem with bleeding clutch, Unique situation, experts inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Problem with bleeding clutch, Unique situation, experts inside.

Ok here is the deal.

A friend and I were bleeding our clutches. We were doing this via the Slave cyl. We did my friend's car 1st with no issues. we undid the fitting on the side of the tranny, push down the clutch, then retighten the fitting. Pull the clutch up and do it twice. The refill from the top and re do it. We did it about 10 times that way. Then I would have the clutch pushed down(no pumping), then it would loosen and finally bottom out. We did that about 6 times. Finally filled the resavoir for the final time. Went out for a ride and he said it felt better then it was brand new.

His car had the Spec 3+, Mclod non adjustible clutch master, newer GM slave. The clutch maybe had 5-6k on it. The symptoms before was the pedal would just crash on start up.

So any ways, his swap went great. The fluid was clearly black then you saw it flushed out clear.

My car was next. I have a BONE stock clutch/tranny, never touched. I am the second owner and I know where the car came from. The fitting for the bleeder is off centered, its resting against the transmission, not the bell housing. How the heck does this happen. We cant get the socket on there to bleed the clutch. Its more or less resting against the housing.

How the heck do I fix this!!

I honestly figure I gotta pull the tranny, and at the same time do a clutch and notch the transmission case so the fitting clears equally all around.

I have never read or seen this happen before. I have worked on 3-4 m6 cars and never seen this. What do you think I should do???
Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds to me like that slave has been touched before. check and see if your line going into the slave is also up against the housing. if so, id be willing to bet your slave has been out before and has spun due to either not being bolted down, or the previous owner had work done under there and somebody broke the bolts off. they are two fairly small bolts that dont have to be extremely tight. if its just your bleeder valve, im gonna guess somebodys bled that system or had the slave out before and must have used to wrong tools or bent it. do you feel any vibrations from your pedal when you first engage the clutch?

but in either case your best bet would be to go ahead and pull the trans. if its a pre '01, just upgrade to the new slave and be done with it.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

Maybe it has been I PM'ed the previous owner. its a 02 so it has the updated hydraulics. I figure I am going to just replace it with new stuff and do a spec 3+ clutch. I know exactly what you mean about the 2 small bolts, I have removed the clutch and I can picture it in my mind.

I just think it sucks that its like that.

There is no vibration in the pedal either.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

hmm odd situation... good luck tho..
Old 08-10-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah those little bolts only need like 10-12 ft-lbs of torque. They would break pretty easily.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

The bolts for the slave dont need much force, I just hope nothing is damaged when it comes apart. The car drives fine, a lil soft on the pedal after a HARD run. I was just trying to give it, it's best shot in the mean time. Oh well.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM
wrencher

The bleeder for the slave is long. It could have gotten tweeked during the trans install. Bent just enough to keep you from getting to it???
Old 08-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Well this is what I can say. The trans may have been out, I am the 2nd owner since 30k miles and it has 36 now, I got it in Nov. I was told it was bleed once. It may have been fucked up. I think WHen I put a new one into it it should just line up. I may take a dremel to it with a carbide bit and notch it so incase when it lines up I dont have to **** with the tranny x2.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
8 second mod

im thinking the spec car had the spacer from spec moving the slave a tad further forward making it easier to get to.
that tranny was NEVER touched.
it wasnt bled, i just changed the fluid in the can. i suck it out, wipe the burt fluid and top it back off. no need to bleed it.
i did that a couple times, but that tranny has never been out that i know of.

i will ask tonight, but im 99.9% sure its untouched.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Thanks for the insight Brad, let me know!