Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What Clutch for 650rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Clutch for 650rwhp?

Help,

I will pushing about 550rwhp in a C6 Z06 soon and may hit it with a 100 shot in the near future as well.

Does a clutch exist that drives like a stocker but can handle 650 with a little room to grow? This will be mostly street driven so I am looking for something with no chatter and has a decent street engagement.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN
Help,

I will pushing about 550rwhp in a C6 Z06 soon and may hit it with a 100 shot in the near future as well.

Does a clutch exist that drives like a stocker but can handle 650 with a little room to grow? This will be mostly street driven so I am looking for something with no chatter and has a decent street engagement.
If you want something with some sort of reliability and a little more streetability, you will probably want to look at a twin disk setup of some sort. Textralia, McLeod, Spec, and Ram all have twin disk offerings.

Honestly, with that much power, it is difficult to have your cake and eat it too. Chatter and harsher engagements kinda go along with a high performance clutch. I have yet to drive one that didn't require some relearning on the street.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, granted I am not making the power for the clutch I run but I do have the Ram Twin. I make right at 430rwhp N/A so it is a good size shot at this clutch, but it can take so much more. 550 is nothing for it to handle either.It has the best driveability out of all the aftermarket clutches I have owned and driven. It is rated to hold about 900 off the crank so pretty much anything you can throw at it. At that point you will be replacing other parts anyway though.
Engagement can only be described as "silk" if you ask me.

Ram Twin Disc does handle like a stocker, but grabs like a schoolgirl on her first date.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

+1 on twin disc. My c6z is dynoed at 562 rwhp, and I've got an exedy twin disc which is very streetable.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry, just noticed 2 posts in nearly 2 years!! Hah thats impressive. I have to struggle to not reply on every thread i read
Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well, granted I am not making the power for the clutch I run but I do have the Ram Twin. I make right at 430rwhp N/A so it is a good size shot at this clutch, but it can take so much more. 550 is nothing for it to handle either.It has the best driveability out of all the aftermarket clutches I have owned and driven. It is rated to hold about 900 off the crank so pretty much anything you can throw at it. At that point you will be replacing other parts anyway though.

Ram Twin Disc does handle like a stocker, but grabs like a school boy on his first date.
fixed
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hahaha
Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you want something with some sort of reliability and a little more streetability, you will probably want to look at a twin disk setup of some sort. Textralia, McLeod, Spec, and Ram all have twin disk offerings.

Honestly, with that much power, it is difficult to have your cake and eat it too. Chatter and harsher engagements kinda go along with a high performance clutch. I have yet to drive one that didn't require some relearning on the street.
I realize that there is a trade off, but I'm looking for the smallest amount. This car will see day to day driving and traffic.

Which McLeod should I be looking at?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by orangeapeel

Ram Twin Disc does handle like a stocker, but grabs like a schoolgirl on her first date.
So are you saying the Ram Twin has a nice soft (close to stock feel) pedal and soft engagement?

How is the chatter on that setup?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever twin disk you look at, make sure the friction material is some sort of organic/kevlar compound instead of sintered iron pucks or the like. That should help with the streetability. I wish I could comment on pedal pressure, but I've never been in a car with a multi-disk setup (and why you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt).
Old 08-17-2007, 07:23 AM

Byun Speed is having a good sale on the mcloed RST and RST street twins right now. You should check them out.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeenis
Sorry, just noticed 2 posts in nearly 2 years!! Hah thats impressive. I have to struggle to not reply on every thread i read
I've looked at the Exedy Twin's and can't find anything bad about them. Do they chatter and are they the typical on/off engagement? They are a little pricey too.

Oh, been a lurker here for awhile and haven't posted due to keeping all my cars stock, until now.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lneemup
Byun Speed is having a good sale on the mcloed RST and RST street twins right now. You should check them out.
Linkie?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I realize that there is a trade off, but I'm looking for the smallest amount. This car will see day to day driving and traffic.

Which McLeod should I be looking at?
I have tried the McLeod and don't waste your money. I have about 10 passes at the track before it started slipping. Can't get another clutch from them and no return calls!!!!

Jack

Does anyone have a High hp 06Z with a clutch that works???
Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

I've looked at the Exedy Twin's and can't find anything bad about them. Do they chatter and are they the typical on/off engagement?
no chatter at all (of course, i've got full exhaust that drones over anything i could hear anyways). i'm liking the exedy pretty well. it's not a great drag clutch tho, i had it slip quite a bit when heated at the track last week. i'll give more input after tonights runs. as far as the street, it took one day learning curve (stalling about 10x), but once you learn it, its a breeze
Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO it seems the Ram is doing pretty damn good. maybe it's the lack of people who have them because they are so new but I haven't seen any complaints about them yet. I ordered mine from TSP but still waiting for it to get here but I won't get into that. like MeentSS02 said look for a organic/kevlar compound (stock looking clutch style) rather than a puck style (6 pucks), that will help with the streetability. IMO u cannot go wrong with a twin disc but PLEASE stay away from puck twin discs...they will chatter, they are ment to hold more HP that u will ever throw at it.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jscraftmasters
I have tried the McLeod and don't waste your money. I have about 10 passes at the track before it started slipping. Can't get another clutch from them and no return calls!!!!

Jack

Does anyone have a High hp 06Z with a clutch that works???
I have a C5 383 full mod car that puts over 550/520 to the wheels (Mustang Dyno) and the Mcleod street twin is the best clutch I ever had in my vette. No chatter, no slippage and that baby grabs like a mother.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by david vericker
I have a C5 383 full mod car that puts over 550/520 to the wheels (Mustang Dyno) and the Mcleod street twin is the best clutch I ever had in my vette. No chatter, no slippage and that baby grabs like a mother.

My C6Z is at about 725 at the wheels. Had to have the master cylinder modded to adjustable to even get the thing to work and after about 10 passes at the track it started to slip. I don't mean just a little slip either. Basically I can not even drive it right now cuz it is so bad! Sure do need an answer to this cuz I have tried everything!

Jack
Old 08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jscraftmasters
My C6Z is at about 725 at the wheels. Had to have the master cylinder modded to adjustable to even get the thing to work and after about 10 passes at the track it started to slip. I don't mean just a little slip either. Basically I can not even drive it right now cuz it is so bad! Sure do need an answer to this cuz I have tried everything!

Jack
The street twin comes with a fully adjustable master cylinder....I don't understand when you say that your master cylinder was modded to adjustable? It sounds like you were using the OEM master cylinder with a Mcleod clutch....is this the street twin that you a referring too?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jeenis
no chatter at all (of course, i've got full exhaust that drones over anything i could hear anyways). i'm liking the exedy pretty well. it's not a great drag clutch tho, i had it slip quite a bit when heated at the track last week. i'll give more input after tonights runs. as far as the street, it took one day learning curve (stalling about 10x), but once you learn it, its a breeze
You "feel" chatter....it's a feed back not a sound!