Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission winding noise at high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission winding noise at high rpms

Hey guys, I got about 80k miles on my camaro now. I notice that around 1200 miles ago, my transmission has started to omit a sort of 'winding' noise when its in 1,2,3 at around >3k rpms. The clutch and flywheel as well as pressure plate were all replace around 5k miles ago, and were working great, so im fairly sure its in my transmission. The sound seems to go away or at least be less noticeable if i hold onto the shift level at those high rpms... However this may just be a misnomer. I've tightened the bolts on the shifter and made sure that the shifter cap is on tightly.

Has anyone had something similar to this? Or does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Again, the noise is almost like the sound of gears that are not oiled properly rubbing when they contact. I checked the fluid level on my trans and it started to leak out a bit even before the plug was out all the way, so it seems filled to the brim. The fluid was also changed when i replaced my clutch 5000 or so miles ago.

Thanks in advance!

-Erik
Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should try the transmission section. Im sure you will get a response there.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

when they change the oil on the trans did they put the correct lubricant back in the T-56. Hopefully they did not put gear lube in it.My buddy use to work For GM and he said that they had this wierd mixing ratio thing were you had to get two types of lubricant and mix together in order for the tranny to shift and work properly. Not to sure but I think It was DEXRON lll and very low viscosity gear lube.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Moving to Manual Trans section....
Old 08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I took it to a shop to have them take it for a test drive. They said it was most likely a bearing in the trans, but they couldnt tell for sure. Once i get some money saved, i think ill just take it in and have em fix it. Can someone mabey recommend a reputable transmission shop here in the chicagoland area?

-Erik
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by circut
I took it to a shop to have them take it for a test drive. They said it was most likely a bearing in the trans, but they couldnt tell for sure. Once i get some money saved, i think ill just take it in and have em fix it. Can someone mabey recommend a reputable transmission shop here in the chicagoland area?

-Erik
That sounds like them trying to get a rebuild from you.

I also have a high pitched whining in my T56 in the lower gears. I don't know how full my tranny fluid is, but it has been doing it for awhile and so far, no problems.

It could be very little things like mis-alignment of gears because of slightly worn parts. Or if the input shaft is not going perfectly straight into the tranny, it might make more noise.

But I have 130K on my T56, and it doesn't exactly shift smooth, but I think that is clutch related.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Teching In

So something else to add to this. Occassionally there will be an awful winding sound when the car is sitting idling. However, when i push the clutch in the sound will go away..

Does this sound like bearings still?

-Erik
Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Teching In

anyone?

Quick Reply: transmission winding noise at high rpms