Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 break-in question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls7 break-in question

Just got ls7 clutch installed today, the shop couldn't get the hydraulics bled down rite, so I drove it home having to syncronize shift without the clutch. That was fun. I'm going to get a mityvac tomorrow and see if I can do it myself. Well, to the question. With the ls7 clutch kit, should I still do a 500 mile breakin, or is it good to go. I've seen some posts on here with people saying they were running it hard right after they installed it. I don't know if they just didn't know any better to break it in, or if they know something I don't. Let me know.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why couldn't they bleed the system? You may have a problem with the hydraulic system then. I hope you didn't pay full price for that, if I ever had to drive my car home like that there would be problems.

As far as break-in; I would at least take the first 500 easy. Some clutches have wacky break-in procedures but seeing that it's a stock(GM) clutch I would just take the 500 mile route.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt bother breaking in a stock type clutch at all. Well maybe drive it some before you do clutch dumps.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Teching In

They said that they were bleeding it for about an hour and still nothing. They were about to close for the weekend so I told them that I would take the car home. It wasn't that bad, just had to start the car in 1st and work my way through the gears. They were just doing the regular pump, pump, bleed. They might have just not done it long enough. But I have to leave to go back to work offshore Monday, so thats why I needed the car and said screw it. It was done at a local shop anyway, all the performance shops around here were backed up. So, since it's not a factory clutch, for the Camaro, there is no warranty, which really didn't bother me too much.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Launching!

i had the same exact problem i finnally figured it out after pumping for like 3 hours. after u open the bleeder with the pedal down u close the bleeder and pump the pedal alone for a good 20 times u should have pressure one thing i never thought of bc i a;lways work on brakes and feel pedal changes in stiffness instantyly
Old 10-06-2007, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

You know how I broke my clutch in?? I installed it..backed it out of the garage and did a 1st through 3rd burnout down the street..turned around did the same thing back parked it..got something to eat then went out and drove it. It lastest over a year of daily abuse and when I pulled it out when taking the motor out it was still perfect.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do have to pump the clutch pedal a lot longer than a brake pedal. They may have not been pumping enough like stated above.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Finally got it bled, I think. I went buy the mityvac this morning and I pulled a lot of air out of the system. The clutch grabs really low, pretty much the very bottom of the press. It took awhile, at first I could get it into 1-6th, but not reverse, so I put the mityvac back on for awhile and cut my grass while it held a suction. After I finished cutting grass I pumped the pedal for a little while, then took off the Mityvac and now I could put it into reverse too. But, like I said the clutch grabs really really low, but I've been reading that this is normal until it breaks in some.