Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me out here...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me out here...what do you think?

My tranny rebuild was complete so I had my SPEC Stage 1 clutch installed yesterday. After everything was done the mechanic took it out for a spin. 6 miles to be exact. Later during the day, I pass by the shop to see how its going. I start the car put it in 1st and let go of the clutch without giving any gas and the clutch is chattering like crazy. The car was shaking badly, mainly the rear. My mechanics decided that the clutch is the cause of this so they dropped the tranny and removed the clutch to look at it. This is what they found:

The mechanic said theres no way that type of chatter is going away after 450 miles. I dont know what to do. I called spec and they said that they didnt see anything abnormal in the pictures I sent them. They also said I could send it back to them for inspection and if there is nothing wrong with it they will send me back the same clutch. The shop where my car is at is saying the hell with that SPEC clutch and for me to get a Z06 one. The problem is I dont have that type of cash on me especially since so much needed to be rebuilt in my tranny. In parts and labor this thing is nearing 1750$, now I need another what...450$ more for the Z06, I cant do it.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know spec's have clutch chatter but I didn't know a stage 1 was that bad. If you can't handle that type of chatter maybe going with a Z06 would be better.

Did you use a stock Flywheel and if so was it remachined? Looks like it in the pictures but there is a glare on the photo.

Amber
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Yes, the flywheel was resurfaced. I dont know if it is the factory flywheel since the previous owner of my car had already replaced the clutch on my car before.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely factory. I don't see anything going on either but Spec's do have chatter. Shouldn't be that bad with a stage 1.

Amber
Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

i know my spec chattered real bad at first.

i would just give it a few more miles and see what happens.

i would think if it doesn't chatter bad, or vibrate at other shifts 1-2, 2-3...it would mean it just needs break in.

good luck
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 AM
FormerVendor

Paul, I can certainly appreciate your interest in other perspectives. As i mentioned yesterday on the phone stage 1 can chatter. Of course, there are no pictures of the flywheel provided (there weren't any in the email you sent either. As long as the flywheel is truly flat you should put the kit back in and drive it through the break-in period. I attempted to talk with you mechanic...he was not exactly interested in anything I had to say and to be honest...his inability to listen to anything I suggested was a bit frustrating. You were on the phone too so you know where I am coming from when I say this. At any rate, if you want me to check it out I will be more than happy to. Or if you want to put some more miles on it and keep in touch with me as you do that is fine too. No worries! Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my younger brother was in the exact same boat. took out the 90k stock gm clutch, resurfaced the stock flywheel and put in a stage 1 SPEC. that thing chattered sooo bad and shook the car to the point where it was unbearable. i suggested he do a break in period, but after 500 miles he had enough, took it out, and inspected it, it looked just like yours in the picture. there were some hot spots but nothing out of the norm. he junked the P.O.S. and put in the LS7 package and its been great ever since. the only mod he had was full exhaust. now on the other hand i put a stage 3 in my car, 400rwhp, no chatter or shaking, the thing was perfect. now im at 463rwhp and 440rwtq and the clutch wont hold the power. note: this clucth only has 3800miles on it, so im currently in the market for a set up that will hold and be streetable and not a PITA to drive
Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned

Another two Spec clutches with "happy" customers.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Im going with the Z06 clutch
Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, I forgot to say. There is pictures of the flywheel posted. They are the 1st two photos.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Teching In

My car is running awesome now, drill mod, new slave, LS6 clutch kit that does not chatter at all...tranny goes through gears like butter. I couldnt be happier with my new setup. And as far as SPEC Anyone want to buy that clutch I have in the pictures? Its a 299.00 clutch Ill take 180+ shipping for it. It has 6 miles, good deal for someone that can deal with 450 miles of chatterbox "break in".

Quick Reply: Help me out here...what do you think?