Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Why is it Hard to shift on Hard Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Why is it Hard to shift on Hard Acceleration?

Just as title says. Under normal driving conditions shifts fine, but 5500 to 6000 rpms diffrent story. I did drill mod, new slave cylinder, new cluth about 12,000 miles on it. New tranny fluid dextron. I cannot figure it out? any advice would help thanks. Car has 71,300 miles on it
Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you insulate the hydraulic line to protect it from the heat of your headers?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Give the clutch test a shot to see if it's disengaging properly.

- Dead stop on a flat, level surface with nothing in front of you
- Clutch pedal to the floor
- Shifter in first gear with clutch pedal still to the floor
- Rev up your car to about 6000 and see if it starts moving forward at all

If it starts moving at all, then your clutch is not disengaging properly. I'm going through the same issue right now, only Spec and the tranny shop I've been speaking with have no idea what it could possibly be because I've already replaced everything they told me to and even installed an adjustable master. I'm probably going to end up pulling it out and buying a new clutch, most likely a Textralia or something like that if I can't figure it out soon. Don't want to miss out on any racing this year.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach

If it starts moving at all, then your clutch is not disengaging properly. I'm going through the same issue right now, only Spec and the tranny shop I've been speaking with have no idea what it could possibly be because I've already replaced everything they told me to and even installed an adjustable master. I'm probably going to end up pulling it out and buying a new clutch, most likely a Textralia or something like that if I can't figure it out soon. Don't want to miss out on any racing this year.
All right I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by corvet786c
All right I'll give it a shot.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Allright
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Just as title says. Under normal driving conditions shifts fine, but 5500 to 6000 rpms diffrent story. I did drill mod, new slave cylinder, new cluth about 12,000 miles on it. New tranny fluid dextron. I cannot figure it out? any advice would help thanks. Car has 71,300 miles on it
It may be time to rebuild the tranny. It is possible that the blocker rings are worn down to the point that they cant handle the higher RPM shifts. They stockers are paper thin to begin with and since you have already replaced the hydraylics and drill mod thats what I would bet on.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach

Well I just did the clutch test and Yes the car moves, I also smelled something start burning, was that the clutch too.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

hot hydros
Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

i have the sam problem i am in the prosces of replacing the clutch and flywheel and throw out bearing or release ill see if mine does it afterwards
Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what does it mean. When that test fails. Supposed to be a new clutch, slave, master cylinder.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

So What do I do? What does it mean when u do this clutch test and car moves?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flush your clutch fluid since it has gotten hot and it might be breaking down. Since your car has long tubes, make sure that the steel braided line is behind the heat shield for as long as possible there should be one that follows the floor board as it turns into the firewall. Since you have longtubes I would recomend that you also wrap the steel braided line to protect it from the extra heat generated by the headers. If that doesn't work try a 01+ master cylinder or shim the throw out bearing/slave assembly. That should fix your clutch problem as far as disengaging goes.

As far as hard shifts obviously your clutch problem is causing this and IS hurting your transmission I recommend that you dont beat on it until the clutch is working properly or your syncros and shiftforks are going to be toast! Also go down to the GM dealership and buy some GM syncromesh that stuff is awesome and will make a transmission with worn sycros shift like it is new. With 71k miles it is very possible that the syncros and shift forks are worn especially if it has been driven hard. You might look into having it freshened up now while it is still cheap. If you dont have the money the syncromesh will give you a little more life and a lot less iritation from missed shifts, but plan on having it worked on.

Last edited by Preston99WS6; 02-25-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our spec was like that. Installing an adjustible master fixed all of our problems..... For a little while.

We have a Spec 2+ and it slipped on hard launches.....Looking at getting it replaced now. Unfortunately at this point it is hard for me to recomend Spec at this time...
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

So you have the shim installed behind the slave cylinder? If not this could easily lead to your issues. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Guys for all input.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
So you have the shim installed behind the slave cylinder? If not this could easily lead to your issues. Let me know. Thanks!
Im having the same problem, and I don't have that shim. Where can I get it from?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the shim?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

The shim is included in all of our kits (it is shipped inside the plastic bag with the warranty and break-in information). It is used to raise the engagement/release point and should be installed on all F-body cars. If you haven't installed it then this is likely your problem.

Without the shim the engagement/release point will be low as a result of improper bearing spacing. The shim is bolted in behind the slave-cylinder and it effectively lengthens the bearing's throw. If you need these they are available for purchase through any of our dealers (though the part will likely drop-ship from us). Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well this morning I saw that the master cylinder lines were not behind the aluminum cover. It was protruding out. So I forced it back behind the aluminum cover. Hope this helps from the heat.