Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 To M6 6 Swap Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 To M6 6 Swap Parts

Hey Guys, I started collecting Parts For my m6 swap about 2 and a half weeks ago and I wanted to let everyone know what Ive got so far. Let me know if im overlooking anything even down to the smallest little part, Im wanting to try and get all the parts right the first time. bolts and little misc. stuff too.

Heres what I have so far.

Shifter, Lower Shift Boot, Console Shift Plate with Leather Boot, Flywheel, Clutch and Pressure Plate, 01-02 Style Master with U bolt and nuts, T56 Crossmember, T56 Torque Arm Mount, T56 Exhaust Mount with bolts, Pedal Assembly, Pig Tails for reverse lights and reverse lockout.

Not a bad start, I guess

So Far I have Spent $529.56

I know I still need to Buy

-Slave
-Inspection Cover
-Pilot Bearing
-Clutch alignment tool
-T56 Transmission and Bellhousing (going to wait and buy last, im poor)

Also I know I need to get Flywheel Bolts, Pressure plate to flywheel bolts

But what else do I need to add to my list??

I would Like to say thanks everyone thats helped me out so far and everyone thats sold me parts I really Like this board alot, everyone has been really cool.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

fluids, wire with proper tools for pigtails, safety start switch for the clutch, cruise shut off switch for the clutch (not needed but HIGHLY recommended),

and all the proper tools, torque wrench, lots of long extensions, rtv for shifter, loctite, etc. etc.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey thanks for the reply, the clutch pedal assembly i got came with all 4 switches, yeah I do need loctite for the PP and Flywheel bolts, better to be safe than sorry. The blue kind right? I forgot I need to get an M6 tune I wonder if my local gm dealer would do it?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only imagine the dealer royally ripping you off for that, even if they could.

My 4l60e inspection cover worked fine on my t56.

I was told that I needed longer bolts for my 6speed, but they were the exact same as the ones I took off of my flexplate, so I used the factory ones.

Dont forget a tranny mount (i was told my 4l60e one would work, but when I took it off it was broken)
Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys, Yeh I figure if i take my car to the dealer they will act like they dont know what im talking about or say it cant be done or something like that. Im sure it could get pricey. Glad i dont have to try and find an inspection cover. I have a T56 tranny mount just didnt know if I needed it, I dont have any bolts for it though. This might be a stupid ? but since i have the 01-02 master do I need to get the 01-02 style slave?? Or the upgraded slave that everyone talks about. what did they do to change it from past years??
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Hey dude im thinking about doin this and wonderin what was the console shift plate and what is the inspection cover and we cant reuse the torque arm from the auto and can we use the bellhousing bolts from the auto?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You most certainly can use the same torque arm. Bellhousing bolt to the block are the same, reuse them. Pretty much all bolts can be reused actually. I would hesitate to use locktite on the PP and flywheel bolts, even the blue kind. They seize easily as it is and break. Pilot bearing can be had a napa for like $6. Here is something easily missed: You need the clip for the clutch master cylinder rod so it doesn't slide off the pedal. This is imperative. I didn't have one so I used safety wire. Also, make sure you have the hydraulic reservoir for the master.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AznObsession
Hey dude im thinking about doin this and wonderin what was the console shift plate and what is the inspection cover and we cant reuse the torque arm from the auto and can we use the bellhousing bolts from the auto?
Yeah Like Arc00TA said. you can use your A4 Torque Arm you just have to get the T56 Torque Arm Mount. The console shift plate is just the top part of the console where you automatic shifter and ashtray and cupholder is, you will need to get one out of an M6 car, including the lower shift boot. I was told by someone yesterday that you could use the A4 inspection cover for the T56. Arc00TA explains the rest.

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
You most certainly can use the same torque arm. Bellhousing bolt to the block are the same, reuse them. Pretty much all bolts can be reused actually. I would hesitate to use locktite on the PP and flywheel bolts, even the blue kind. They seize easily as it is and break. Pilot bearing can be had a napa for like $6. Here is something easily missed: You need the clip for the clutch master cylinder rod so it doesn't slide off the pedal. This is imperative. I didn't have one so I used safety wire. Also, make sure you have the hydraulic reservoir for the master.
Hey man thanks alot for the great info, Just wondering, I talked to someone yesterday and they said I needed the T56 torque arm mount BOLTS, is it true that the ones from the A4 will not work, because i have the mount just not the bolts. Also I have been Looking for the Clip for the Master, Do you know if GM would have this? or you would'nt know the part number would you? I did got a complete master with reservoir, and I have a set of clutch pedals with all the switches on the way. Havent bought a slave yet though, what about the bolts for it?

My torque wrench is junk too, I need to buy a decent one before i attempt the swap.

Thanks Again
Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

One bolt it already connected to the mount, you can reuse one of the A4 bolts for the other long one, the short top one I didn't have but it only took about 5 minutes in a bucket of spare bolts to find one that fit. Its about 2.5" long and the same thread as the big ones. I don't know where to get that clip, honestly. The slave only have 2 bolts I believe but my trans came with a new slave put on it already so I didn't have to find those. I would also suggest, to save time, use 2 bolts with a nut and lockwasher for the master cyl. I used M8 bolts they fit perfectly and took next to no time to install because you can line them up separately. Another tip, take the shifter off and fill the tranny from there, soooooo much easier than trying to use a pump thru the hole in the side.

Lets see, one other thing I can remember is that the flywheel studs for the PP don't seem to fit until you start to torque it down, most manuals are like that but some people don't know (like the guy that was helping me) and try stupid **** like beating them with hammers.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Hey sorry so what is the inspection cover
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

It is a little plastic cover below the starter. Its how you take your converter bolts off.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i will buy the clutch reservoir from you ASAP PM ME PLEASE.

Quick Reply: A4 To M6 6 Swap Parts