Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

needa clutch, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question needa clutch, please help

its time to replace my wore out clutch in my 99 ss. i dont know a whole lot about clutches. so, what should i look for?? i dont ever see my engine makin much over 425 engine horsepower for a while so what should i go for? what makes some clutches better than others? any one have any info on clutches they've had really good luck with? or bad luck?? any help would be great! thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

damn no one can help me out??
Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Teching In

go with the LS7 one, or spec 2 or spec 2+. I am trying to find a clutch for my car right now and i feel your pain since i don't know that much either.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

LS7 should be fine for your application. Do all hydraulics while your in there too.

Good stock feel, strong enough for what you have and will last you a while.

I say stay away from SPEC, I haven't had much luck with them.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by w02ramair
LS7 should be fine for your application. Do all hydraulics while your in there too.

Good stock feel, strong enough for what you have and will last you a while.

I say stay away from SPEC, I haven't had much luck with them.
Agreed 100%. LS7 sounds perfect for you (unless you plan on dumping the clutch at like 6000 RPM a lot). I, too, would stay away from Spec, but that's just a personal opinion. A similar clutch to the LS7 if you go with Spec would be the Stage 2. They last a long time from what I've seen and will hold that kind of power without an issue.

Also replace the master and slave. You can do the pilot bearing, as well. Do the drill mod, and if you fee like it, wrap the line to protect from heat.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I here to bro, I just lost my clutch when i put on some DR, no more power than you. Funny how the LS7 is preferable compared to aftermarket ones.(I know what it is hooked up to too.)
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

On the flip side, I went to order a LS7 clutch for my car (400 rwhp) and the sales person suggested that it would be pushing it with my car and said I would need to go with something else. I've had a Spec, Ram, Textralia and now trying the Spec 3+. The Textralia was the best but cost twice as much. The RAM Powergrip by far the worst, spring blew out with 9k on it. The Textralia's pedal was soft and there was virtually no chatter. Now that I think about it I should have spent twice the amount and it would save me one less trans pull every other year, not to mention slave replacement and flywheel resurfacing. Remember, you pay for what you get but don't always get what you pay for.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
On the flip side, I went to order a LS7 clutch for my car (400 rwhp) and the sales person suggested that it would be pushing it with my car and said I would need to go with something else. I've had a Spec, Ram, Textralia and now trying the Spec 3+. The Textralia was the best but cost twice as much. The RAM Powergrip by far the worst, spring blew out with 9k on it. The Textralia's pedal was soft and there was virtually no chatter. Now that I think about it I should have spent twice the amount and it would save me one less trans pull every other year, not to mention slave replacement and flywheel resurfacing. Remember, you pay for what you get but don't always get what you pay for.
I don't see how 400rwhp would be pushing it, on an LS7 clutch. Considering, an LS7 makes more power than that stock and a lot of modded C6Z's are still running the stock clutch without problems.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

My bad Spence.... getting all confused with the different types. That was for the LS6 clutch. This was in August 07 or so. I was looking for something different from all the other failures I had.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

wow thanks alot for the input fellas. i think i'll just go a head and run the ls7 clutch. but if anyone has any the wanna add, please feel free. i wanna know as much as i can before i spend the money.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

I'm jumping on the ls7 bandwagon next time mine starts slipping

Quick Reply: needa clutch, please help