Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

i think its clutch issue and dont know how to search it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think its clutch issue and dont know how to search it.

i am known for jumping on my car here and there when with friends or just in a good mood. i bought this car less than a week ago, all the fluids are up to level, clutch fluid is dirty and the car has no drips and is not burning fluids. when i jump on it the car feels good until the rpms are up top i'd say 5000+ the car feels like its not as powerful as it should be and the pedal starts shaking like crazy and the car almost makes a whining chattering noise, i really cant explain it. like i said the pedal shakes like crazy. anyone have this problem? and also when i stop i'm pretty sure that wonderful smell is clutch so i'm figuring its my clutch slipping but this is my second stick car so i don't know what it is, my first was just a 305 t-5 92 trans am with a fresh centerforce. i've floored it in 5th and the rpms didnt spike or anything thats why i don't know if its slipping or not. please help this noob lol.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
wrencher

Stock clutches can cause all kinds of problems, your may be done.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not sure if its a stock replacement or an aftermarket one but i guess i have to assume its stock since so is the rest of the car. i just got done driving my girl home and noticed the pedal always has a very slight vibration while driving that gets worse as the rpms go up, is this normal? (that is what i meant by pedal vibration when getting on it just really paid attention to it) i didn't notice any strange noise but i did a mash it in first and bang second and had to stop short but when i hit second my low traction light came on and when i stopped i smelt that wonderful smell(i beleive burnt clutch) i shifted at 5500tops but it was like a fast normal shift(gas off clutch on 1-2 clutch off gas floored) from what i hear speed shifting is switching gears without letting out the gas and thats not something im gonna do in my daily driver just yet. does it sound like i just have a clutch thats on its way out?
by the way i am VERY paranoid about different feelings and noises when i dont know what they are. and i have been able to find out about most of the squeeks and all and since i know what they are and they dont hurt i deal with them its just when i have no clue what it is or how it can affect the car is when it bothers me. sorry for the long post lol.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

its the clutch slipping, at high rpm is where your car is trying to make maximum hp, the chattering your feeling is the clutch slipping, now it may not be the clutch itself, could be the pressure plate just being wore out. but when u do change the clutch (which it needs) go ahead and get you a new slave cylinder also and new pilot bushing or bearing which ever you prefer
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm pretty sure im gettin the clutch flywheel, slave cylinder, throwout bearing but now what is better pilot bearing or pilot bushing?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Would a bad slave cylinder cause what's happening? My friend got in and said the pedal feels a little crunchy. He said it feels like a bad slave cylinder or throw out bearing.

Last edited by chevrunner21; 04-09-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

well your throw out bearing is on the slave cylinder so you'll be changing both of them, my clutch smoked its self because it would not fully disengage which was a bad slave, as far as the bushing and bearing question it really dont matter which ever one you prefer i have a bearing in mine i know people who have bushings in theres, run about the same if you ask me
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

thank you for helping me out. i'm going to bring the car to rpm as soon as i can get up a little more cash.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would first start by changing out the dirty fluid.

there are many ways to test for clutch slippage.

what you're describing at RPM sounds more liek a misfire.

Quick Reply: i think its clutch issue and dont know how to search it.