Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My M6 swap saga.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My M6 swap saga.

I'm going to be doing an M6 swap on 5/9/2008. I'm very excited about this, and personally can't wait to see it completed. I will update this thread after it's complete with my impressions.

Here's the parts list that I'm working with.

M6 Upper Console with Shifter Boot
Lower Shifter Boot
M6 cross member
M6 TQ Arm Mount
LS2 Flywheel + LS7 Clutch
New flywheel, and pressure plate bolts (GM Stock)
New Master+U-bolt and Slave Cylinder (Both stock GM)
Bronze Pilot Bushing
M12 T56 transmission
MN6 shifter cup for GTO tranny in an F-body
Hurst Billet Plus Shifter
M6 Pedal assembly with sensors, and new clips for cylinder rods (brake and Master)
Pigtails for Reverse Lockout and Reverse Light
Original size, type, and color combination wiring to match the factory harness in areas that need to be changed

Hopefully it all goes in easy and smooth.
Will be doing the drill mod and heat wrapping the MC to SC line as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lucky you. you got the mn12, i wonder how much different that would feel compared to the mn6. looks like you got all the parts you need, good luck on the swap it was alot of fun for me.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

couple things. imo dont do the bronze bushing, get an actual bearing. and u def want to buy the slave line extension bleeder. u do not want to bleed that thing without it. and id recommend getting a vacuum bleeder to as it makes life so much easier. also double check the driveshaft length because it will likely be diff. its been a little bit since ive looked into that. then set aside another few hundrd dollars for misc expenses because there will be some.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
couple things. imo dont do the bronze bushing, get an actual bearing. and u def want to buy the slave line extension bleeder. u do not want to bleed that thing without it. and id recommend getting a vacuum bleeder to as it makes life so much easier. also double check the driveshaft length because it will likely be diff. its been a little bit since ive looked into that. then set aside another few hundrd dollars for misc expenses because there will be some.
Roy will be doing the bleeding, so I'm not worried about any of that. The drive shaft is the same length for both trannys. The bearing/bushing seems to be an opinion matter mostly, sixspeedsinc recommends the bronze so that's what I ended up with.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by melchoir
Roy will be doing the bleeding, so I'm not worried about any of that. The drive shaft is the same length for both trannys. The bearing/bushing seems to be an opinion matter mostly, sixspeedsinc recommends the bronze so that's what I ended up with.
it will need to be bled again at some point. trust me u want that thing.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

All done!

We had some hiccups along the way, finding out that 04+ LS motors use a smaller starter, and as such the old starter wont' fit in a newer bellhousing.

Wiring seems to be perfect, I did not test cruise control, but reverse lockout, clutch depressed for start, the hatch, VSS, and reverse lights work perfectly.

I changed my tune over myself, and it seems to work really well. No SES lights, and no F'in CAGS. The LS7 clutch does grab EXCEPTIONALLY low, but has already started to move up slightly. The car also seems louder, which is probably because it has a load on it in the lower RPM range now.

My impressions are few, as I've probably put 60 miles on it so far, but if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

glad to hear you got your swap done. I finished mine tonight. I had the same problem as you with the starter. I ordered one and it came in today, had to go to GM and buy another long bolt cause the LS2 starters use 2 long instead of 1 short and 1 long. Other than that bolted up fine and works like a charm.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

I'll add that cruise control still does work fine on my 98, I did not wire to the clutch so it requires shutoff by brake pedal, or on the stalk itself.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

u can always shim the slave if the pedal doesnt come up high enough for ur liking.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

It's already started to come up on it's own, and if it never gets any higher, I'll probably just get used to it. We'll see how the next few hundred miles go.