Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aluminum Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aluminum Flywheel

I have a 2002 Camaro SS and just got my new centerforce clutch and wanted to know if anybody has a aluminum flywheel? I hear they unlock like 20 extra horse power because they only weigh 10 LBS. So any advice will help.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

the fidanza is the lightest i've seen and thats about 13lbs....compared to stock which is 28 i think.

you'll see more power to the ground that's for sure.

the trade off is slightly less driveability.

i've got the fidanza in my car...although i think alot of my trouble is with the Spec 4 solid disc clutch that has no forgiveness upon engagement.

but doing slow manuvers like parking lots and traffic, the engine bogs down quickly and even after 3 yrs i still stall it regularly (some of that is due to the poor tune with the cam).

you definately have to rev a bit higher to keep from bogging in normal 1st gear starts on the street.

but it does rev QUICK for rev matching, and it seems to liven up the motor when really rowing the gears.

if its a drag only car...a heavier FW is generally recommended. but for a fun daily driver, weekend car you should enjoy the light FW.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teke184
the fidanza is the lightest i've seen and thats about 13lbs....compared to stock which is 28 i think.

you'll see more power to the ground that's for sure.

the trade off is slightly less driveability.

i've got the fidanza in my car...although i think alot of my trouble is with the Spec 4 solid disc clutch that has no forgiveness upon engagement.

but doing slow manuvers like parking lots and traffic, the engine bogs down quickly and even after 3 yrs i still stall it regularly (some of that is due to the poor tune with the cam).

you definately have to rev a bit higher to keep from bogging in normal 1st gear starts on the street.

but it does rev QUICK for rev matching, and it seems to liven up the motor when really rowing the gears.

if its a drag only car...a heavier FW is generally recommended. but for a fun daily driver, weekend car you should enjoy the light FW.
Yea I think the reason you bog down is because of the stage 4 Spec. Have you had any problems with your flywheel? any vibration. and thanks for the advice.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to do a search on this subject. The question gets asked all the time, and answered just as many times.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

i picked up a very gentle vibration after installing the clutch.

whether that was from the disc/PP or the light flywheel i don't know.

i'd guess its from the FW, just due to having less mass to soak up the small vibration.

but its not a big deal, its a high freq vibration, and it doesn't seem to get any worse at higher speeds.

at the same time you ahve to realize i have poly motor mounts, and poly trans and torque arm bushings.

the bogging is a combination of the light mass of the FW allowing the rpms to drop quickly, and the on/off nature of the race clutch.

i'd really like to see what the car puts to the wheels. granted other things hvave changed since the first dyno, but those things are relatively known constants for power.
meaning if it dynos 420rwhp now, compared to the 382rwhp....i know only 1/2 of that is the mods i installed, and half is the flywheel.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

As a point of reference...we suggest (and this is listed in the Install Info for LS applications provided with each of our clutch kits) that you balance the clutch and flywheel together before install. Even if you are using a resurface stock flywheel it is always best to check the balance before installing the kit. That being said, this vibration is likely a result of a slight outage in balance.

As for bogging...this is commonly associated with using an aluminum flywheel. The clutch itself can't really cause the car to bog...and to be honest the bog is actually a result of a lack revs applied when leaving from a stop. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
As a point of reference...we suggest (and this is listed in the Install Info for LS applications provided with each of our clutch kits) that you balance the clutch and flywheel together before install. Even if you are using a resurface stock flywheel it is always best to check the balance before installing the kit. That being said, this vibration is likely a result of a slight outage in balance.

As for bogging...this is commonly associated with using an aluminum flywheel. The clutch itself can't really cause the car to bog...and to be honest the bog is actually a result of a lack revs applied when leaving from a stop. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
I was looking at the RAMS Aluminum Flywheel and they come balanced already.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

They very well do...as do ours...but a minor outage (like what is mentioned above can come from not balancing the assembly together). This is why I suggest!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Does that mean that a spec flywheel should be balanced?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Banned

i Got The Fidanza For The Past Two Weeks, And Let Me Tell You It Feels Really Nice...my Shifts Are Really Quick And I Dont Put Effort. The Revs And The Launching Is Amazing...but Yes I Do Get Those Boggin Moments And Are Really Annoying.....but Could It Be Because Of The New Spec Clutch Also???
Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
They very well do...as do ours...but a minor outage (like what is mentioned above can come from not balancing the assembly together). This is why I suggest!
So even if I buy the RAMS Flywheel which comes balance I still got to get it balance with the new centerforce clutch? If I do where do I go to get them balanced?Thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Unless the car is road raced, stick with a quality billet, try to shave weight elsewhere.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

If you buy one of our kits with a flywheel at the same time they will be balanced together at the time of build. If you have a used flywheel and clutch bought seperately, even if they come from the same manufacture it is always best to have the balance checked...this can be done by any reputibale machine shop.

If the flywheel is new then it should be balanced appropriately by the manufacture. I hope this clarifies things. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

I have the fidanza Aluminum flywheel and with no vibration at all.And with it starts wearing out i can just replace the friction disk.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Our Aluminum flywheel have offered a replaceble friction surface for years too...this really is the way to do. It allows you to ultimately reuse a single flywheel indefintely...and replaceable friction surfaces are considerably less than new flywheel...there really is no way to go wrong with flywheels that utilize this design.