Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help trans wont downshift and im out of ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help trans wont downshift and im out of ideas!!!

Okay guys im making a post cuz im extremely frustrated and want a variety of ideas to try and figure this out once and for all. I have a rebuilt t-56 from sixspeedsinc and a spec 3 clutch. My first problem was it kept popping out of reverse so i sent the trans back to sixspeeds just to make sure everything was ok, and this time i put the shim behind the slave and it fixed the reverse problem.

Now the damn thing won't down shift from 6th to 5th and I have had numerous calls with amber and joe at sixspeeds and jeremy at spec and it just keeps going back and forth saying its got to be the clutch and the other says it cant be the clutch. Also please remember I have had this clutch in for awhile and before the rebuild it shifted up and down perfect even w/o the shim.

It will downshift in every other gear except 6th to 5th just fine and I can up shift to 5th but it feels like something is hanging when i do go to put it into 5th. Also I have adjust the bump stops so that they are not touching just to make sure and have a new master and slave in the car and the drill mod has been done as well. The fluid is clean and like i said every other gear and shift combination is fine. In order for me to get it into 5th I have to push the clutch in and keep it pressed and slide it into 3rd then take it back out of third and THEN it will go into 5th. It doesn't grind i just physically cant put the SOB into 5th its like theres something there just holding me back. I really hope some of you guys can help me figure this out its really bothering me
Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough call... A common point with your orig symptoms and the current ones, is the 5/6/R shift rail. These pieces rarely fail, so I can see an anomaly getting over-looked during a rebuild, if there is one.

What condition (damage/mileage/etc.) was your trans when you sent it in for the current rebuild?

mike
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Tough call... A common point with your orig symptoms and the current ones, is the 5/6/R shift rail. These pieces rarely fail, so I can see an anomaly getting over-looked during a rebuild, if there is one.

What condition (damage/mileage/etc.) was your trans when you sent it in for the current rebuild?

mike
Well the reason I had to send it in is b/c i had mechanically overreved the car. It shattered 2nd and ruined the bearings so i had the 1a package plus the extra parts to fix the gear and bearings installed from sixspeedinc. Before the rebuild the trans proble had 90k on it and now after the rebuild has proble 3500. Also when i got the trans back the first time i installed it w/o the shim and and w/o replacing my slave and it down shifted fine from 6th to 5th but kept popping out of reverse. So i sent it back got a shim and new updated slave and they tested the trans and all went well when they got it. So i got it back installed everything and now I have this problem and before I tear it apart again i want to be sure of the problem cuz im tired of pulling my trans.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

come on guys i need some input on this is there anyone with some ideas?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we can rule out the possibility of it being a clutch/hydraulic problem and definitively say it's a transmission issue. The problem only exists in 5/6, so it's safe to say that it's not caused by bump stops; you attest that it's physically obstructed from going into gear and it isn't grinding so you've addressed and ruled out disengagement issues so clutch/hydraulic/synchros are out of the picture. I agree with mike, it's most likely an issue with the 5/6 shift rail.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda looking like i get to make another phone call to amber and get the details setup to return the trans, she's gonna hate me pretty soon

edit: my question is if thats the problem why can I upshift to 5th and if i put it into 3rd then go into 5th with the clutch pressed the entire time it will go into 5th?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by miller456
edit: my question is if thats the problem why can I upshift to 5th and if i put it into 3rd then go into 5th with the clutch pressed the entire time it will go into 5th?
The shifter controls a little selecting pin inside the transmission, in the neutral position the pin can either go in a sweeping side to side motion through the grooves in the shift forks to select the proper fork, or in a forward and back motion, that slides the fork against a synchro to put it in gear or releasing the pressure off the synchro and towards the neutral position. If there's a problem with the linkage, it's possible that the orientation of the pin coming from the 3/4 direction allows it to go into gear, but it's impeded from traveling properly from the 6th direction. Can you make the shift from low speeds and or stopped?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that was a good explanation, to answer the question yes I can shift when theres no load at a stop from 6th to 5th fine and i can also downshift from 6th to 5th as im comin up to a stop as the load decreases any ideas?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

i have nothing against six speeds inc..but i went with tick performance and i will post up when i get my trans back..but i would discuss with amber in detail exactly whats going on...etc...
Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miller456
Well that was a good explanation, to answer the question yes I can shift when theres no load at a stop from 6th to 5th fine and i can also downshift from 6th to 5th as im comin up to a stop as the load decreases any ideas?
If it's load dependent, you're back to having a clutch/hyd/synchro-blocker issue.

Though not definitive (as your Rev issue showed), since it only happens to one gear, I'm more inclined to blame the 5/6 synchro.

mike
Old 08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i have nothing against six speeds inc..but i went with tick performance and i will post up when i get my trans back..but i would discuss with amber in detail exactly whats going on...etc...
You must have missed this part in my original post.....

I have had numerous calls with amber and joe at sixspeeds and jeremy at spec
I guess it seems like all i can really do is send it back to amber go over our discussion and have them inspect it again.

Quick Reply: Help trans wont downshift and im out of ideas!!!