Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Engagment Issues...let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Location: Grand Rapids, MI : Milford, MI: Flint, MI depending on the time of the year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engagment Issues...let me know what you think

I just did a manual trans swap over labor day weekend. I put in a new clutch and the 21,000 miles old hydraulics and transmission. I got the setup from a wrecked car. Now my problems started one week after the swap. My car would not go into gear on one random morning. After pumping the clutch a few times and a few ignition cycles the car started working again. So that evening (a few days ago) I decided to try and bleed the clutch again. After bleeding again, my car would not go into gear again this morning. After lettting the car sit for a few hours I pumped the clutch pedal and it made a squishing noise. The pedal has pressure but does not come all the way back up. It stays down about an inch. As of now the car shifts but only with some force and perfect rev matching. Do you think I need to bleed the clutch more??? Can an air bubble cause this? or is it more likely a faulty slave or master?

I plan to take it to a dealership tonight because I am 200 miles from home. If you can offer any thoughts I would appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've still got air in the master cylinder. Might try a mityvac and see if you get any bubbles out, I no longer even attempt to bleed without one.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

The dealer is most likely going to just charge you 184 bucks to bleed it. Sounds like you just need to bleed it more.

What process are you using to bleed?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Location: Grand Rapids, MI : Milford, MI: Flint, MI depending on the time of the year

Thanks for the info guys. I will try to bleed with the rear of the car up because I have done it twice with the front of the car in the air. I used a mitty vac to bleed the master and then I hooked the master back up and tried to bleed the system using the pedal to the floor, open then close, let the pedal back up.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zdb350ci
Thanks for the info guys. I will try to bleed with the rear of the car up because I have done it twice with the front of the car in the air. I used a mitty vac to bleed the master and then I hooked the master back up and tried to bleed the system using the pedal to the floor, open then close, let the pedal back up.
You need to open the bleeder, then pedal to the floor, then close, then full the pedal back up.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Teching In

Yeah that is how I started bleeding the system and then after doing that for about 6-7 times I started doing the pedal on the floor stuff. I will try again. This bleeding shiz can get frustrating. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zdb350ci
Yeah that is how I started bleeding the system and then after doing that for about 6-7 times I started doing the pedal on the floor stuff. I will try again. This bleeding shiz can get frustrating. Thanks for the help.
Tell me about it!

I've gotten other vehicles right, but mine is still fuxxed. No shifts over 6k for me. I'll be getting a new master soon, hope it helps.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any chance you may have left the bleeder cracked open, or have a small hole in the line somewhere? Just seems weird to me that air would be getting into the system without there being some damage to the line somewhere or a small brain fart like not having the bleeder real tight.

Not accusing, just thinking outside the box.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Teching In

After bleeding again with mity vac I am confident the system has no air in it. However, my issue still presists. When I go out to my car in the morning the pedal has sunk down and is hovering about an inch off the floor. I think it seems obvious that I have a leak but is there a way to know if it is the master or the slave. I checked the resivor (fluid level appeared fine) and for puddles under the car and both came up negative. And yes the bleeder screw is very tight.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Teching In

For the record. I had to replace all of my hydraulics and now the transmission bleeds easy and works flawlessy. My slave was BAD! Thanks.