Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird Tranny Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Tranny Issue...

Every so often my T56 transmission will only shift into 1st, 4th and reverse. But after driving it a bit or after I stop the car and start it up I can shift flawlessly through every gear. Is there any specific issue that causes this?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A sticky/faulty skip-shift solenoid ? Are 5th and 6th also locked out until you drive it a bit?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Does the skip shift solenoid sensor need to be attached? I have it disconnected right now...
Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

The solenoid is disconnected? Do you have a resistor bypass, or does your ECM have a service code? (I'm not aware of any "sensor" for the CAGS)

If the solenoid is unhooked and you have an eliminator resistor for the ECM, then no, it shouldn't be extended out to block the 2/3 shifts.. (What about my 5,6 question?)

Have you changed the fluid recently? If not, you may want to drain/inspect the fluid, and try a fresh fill of DexIII. Do you have an aftermarket shifter? If so, verify that no shifter stops are interfering with the shifts.

(Re)bleed the hydraulics, and check the clutch for full (dis)engagement. If nothing helps, start thinking/planning/saving for a rebuild..
Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Here is a pic of what I have disconnected. I just have the sensor disconnected, not the whole solenoid. I can hit 1st, 4th, 6th and reverse. For some reason I can't find the part of the harness that connects to the reverse lockout solenoid. Either the prior owner removed it or it was cut somewhere for whatever reason. Is there a replacement part number for that part of the harness with a pigtail?

Old 10-11-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

what your pic shows is you have the Rev lockout solenoid disconnected, but not the skip shift solenoid. (shown on that same pic)

If you disconnect the skip shift solenoid, you should throw a code, but you should be able to test if it fixes your problem.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
what your pic shows is you have the Rev lockout solenoid disconnected, but not the skip shift solenoid. (shown on that same pic)

If you disconnect the skip shift solenoid, you should throw a code, but you should be able to test if it fixes your problem.
P0803 is still turned on in his pcm (and not active) and the skip shift feature is disabled...
Did you ever get you speedo fixed Halloran?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Speedo is hooked up but jumps all over the place. I think it's time for a new sensor.

What I've noticed though is that at idle the car will not go into 2nd, 3rd or 6th. However... if I jump the throttle above 3,500 or so it shifts flawlessly. Once I'm in 2nd I can go from 2nd to neutral as many times as I want but as soon as I shift from 2nd to 1st I cannot get it back into second. I'm not sure wtf could be causing this problem. Any ideas???
Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Teching In

I've had a problem similar in my Trans am. On occasion while cruising and i come to a stop and I try to go from 3rd to 1st gear it won't wanna work with me or I struggle too get it into the desired gear. Its only happened twice in 3 months but I simply don't understand why it does that. Transmission solenoids stuck in place in our tranny's?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

I think mine is definitively speedo sensor related. Mine works "most" of the time but sometimes it will bounce or go straight to zero. When it reads zero or isn't functioning that's when I seem to have the problem. I'm going to replace the speedo sensor and diagnose from there.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Did you ever unplug the CAGS like originally suggested?