Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Funny warranty story.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Funny warranty story.

So i brought my ws6 into Gatway Chevrolet on Milwaukee and Central in Chicago a couple days ago.

I have an after market "bumper to bumper" warranty on the car. I was bored and thought id bring in my car to see if i could get some free stuff. I said my trans mount was bad, iac motor, and both windor motors and regulators were bad.

They sent an adjuster out to inspect the car. He poped the hood and laughed, said they wouldnt cover anything due to the mods.

The funny part is that he denied the window claim because he saw my MSD window switch for the spray and said that i was using it to boost the voltage to the window motors and i ruined them.

The tech tried to explain to him what it did but he didnt believe him and cancled the whole warranty. I had a good run with the warranty and their refunding my money on it. Sorry for the long post.

Alex
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long was it after you bought your car that they refunded the warranty? Sounds tempting to try.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

I bought the car in June of 2003. Their not giving me all back, just prorating it. But i have about 4 years left so ill get more than half. Not bad for them allready doin 2 grand in work. Only thing is all the parts they replaced under warrany i replaced later with high performance stuff. Go figure.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Actually, boosting voltage to the window motors for better performance isn't such a bad idea. Kinda like the hot wire kit for your fuel pump. I mean, the damn window motors are so slow even when new that anything would be an improvement.

PS. You should have tried to get the trans replaced under warranty. Tell 'em that you used to have to shift the gears yourself but now the car seems to be doing that on it's own. And that the clutch pedal vanished since you bought the car.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Thats funny you said that, Mark had mentioned i should say my tail shaft seal was leaking. The only problem with that is if they look up parts according to the vin it wouldnt apply. The complaint line for the iac motor was, " customer states rough idle." I was actually scared they were going to replaced the cam to fix that.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
The complaint line for the iac motor was, " customer states rough idle." I was actually scared they were going to replaced the cam to fix that.
HAHA!! Good point!

Another good RO.......

"Customer complains that the rear tires wear too quickly"....

Result.....

"Diagnostics show that engine is making excessive power. Remove/Replace aftermarket camshaft and cylinder heads. Power returned to factory levels."

Man that would suck.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

The way my car has been acting i think it has less that factory power levels. Think its time to clean the old K&N. Then maybe it will start faster
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Pretty funny. I once took my Formula in for a recall. I had some good laughs with the techs.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Yea the tech that looked at the car came up to me when i went to pick it up. He said he had noticed i disconnected the relay for the n20 and took the msd pills out. He proceeded to tell me he had some msd pills in his box. Good thing its been raining for days or id have an empty bottle.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been into Gateway a number a times and have a buddy that worked there as a salesman. That place is the biggest joke in Chicagoland, period.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Import Patrol

I was going to take my scrap into the dealer for the window motors too. And wanted to see what they said, with the mods and cage and all. I am assuming they would of probably said the same ****.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Gateway is a dump. I know the service manager and he always trys to hook me up.. This time he said he couldnt do anything.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have driven by there a few times.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
JUICED96Z

I remember when elevensecondv6 over on firebird v6 went to the dealer to get his water pump replaced (guess it was to cold outside).

The guy asked him if the car had been modified in any way and he said "yeah it has an airfilter" and laughed, the guy just looked at him funny and took the keys.

From what he said they pulled it into the bay creating a lot of attention (open exhaust on headers). Got it up on the lift and noticed all the tubular suspension parts money could by on top of that.

Tech said "air filter ehh?"

I have heard of 03-04 Cobra guys loosing the warrenty for having basic bolt-ons.

Most dealerships just see stuff and assume the car had been abused.

A lot of them will not work on highly modified cars off warrenty because "the techs are only familiar with stock stuff" Had a GM tech tell me that.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm under warranty but want to go with a new TB, ls6 manifold and full exhaust. Think I could run into any issues with being serviced under the warranty or does it mostly vary by each dealership on warranty coverage policy?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:46 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by MjMaro
I'm under warranty but want to go with a new TB, ls6 manifold and full exhaust. Think I could run into any issues with being serviced under the warranty or does it mostly vary by each dealership on warranty coverage policy?

As far as I know everything on the LS6 intake looks the same as a LS1 intake so they would not notice a change.
If its a ported TB they may or may not notice

On the exhaust if you pull the cats most shops and I think 99% if not all dealerships will not touch it.

You then have to find shops that will look past that. As in you drop your car off with no plate and they then see it as a non street legal race car and not s street car so they get around th epossilbe fines. It has worked for at least on eperson I know.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i might try to do the same they voided mine too and now i have a busted *** rear end with no mnoey right now to fix it sucks
Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm trying to get a weiand ls6 so I can keep the egr, lil dif looks than the stock one, but i think if I just do the manifold and TB ontop of what I have already done, I could just swap out the manifold and TB if I needed something serviced under the warranty.