Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Anyone here a car salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here a car salesman?

Is anyone on this board a car salesman for certified dealer like GM, Chrysler, Ford, etc.? I love cars and I know a ton about them. I am 19 right now and in school, but I've already changed my major twice. The more I go to school the more I hate it because I am frustrated and can't figure out what I want to do. I 4.0ed high school and graduated 8th in my class. I am just curious as to how hard it is to start up working for a dealership. Most jobs I see online require no experience; however, I don't want to do it if I am not going to make ****. What are some base salaries out there, how does your commission work, etc? Anything you can tell me about being a car salesman, i'd like to know. I have a ton of energy and excellent people skills. I think I'd enjoy it. Is this a bad alternative to going to school? I am only 19, I can try it out for a few years and then go back to school if I hate it. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

x2 on hating school and not knowing what u want to do. im lookin for a part time job at a dealership
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

all the jobs i am comin across are full time. I am contemplating finishing this semester, getting a full time position in the summer and then going from there...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know a guy who started at a Ford dealership right otta HS.

I think he makes $100,000+

Drives an 04 Cobra
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

good god man...is he a member on here? my dad makes 100+ now and he never went to school, but he's been with his company for over 25 years...I don't wanna wait that long, lol...100g a year these days doesn't seem like that much thanks to the cost of living...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get used to doing lots of coke...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

why do u say that?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

100k a year is a very good amount of money, no matter what anyone says.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
100k a year is a very good amount of money, no matter what anyone says.
i'm not doubting it, but I am just seeing it from my perspective. I think its mainly because my parents don't buy a lot of nice things for themselves. I mean, they have a bad *** Yukon, but they aren't very materialistic. They are very family oriented, so the money usually goes towards vacations, nice dinners, etc. I think thats why i don't realize how much we truely have sometimes. I respect it though and appreciate it greatly. I am not spoiled in any way. I buy all my own cars, etc. However, if I am in a financial bind, they help me out as best as possible.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
why do u say that?
Most salesmen are coke heads.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

wouldn't touch the ****, lol...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Teching In

I used to be a salesman. I'm 20. I made eh like 300 bucks a week for a GM stealer for about 70 hours worth of work. That was during my 6 month training thing. I never made it past that, the dealer had a strict rule on not being able to serve any of anyone else's clients. Well me and the other new guy were kinda SOL coming into a dealership that is basically all repeat business customers. It was fun while it lasted but to survive in the car business you have to be able to find your own prospects and get them into the dealership. Depending on where you are there might not be much lot traffic. Anyways about commissions and stuff, it just depends on where you are at. Ours went something like we had to sell at least 5 cars a month, on the 6th car you got a certain bonus and every car up to 12 a month you got more. It was kinda nice with being paid the base salary too. After the base period is up we could choose to stay on base + small commission or go strictly commission only. There were some weeks when my 300 check absolutely killed one of the other guys, he made like 34 dollars. Although there were a few weeks when he was bringin home 5 or 6 thousand. He was a seller. His pay just depended on the schedule of his clients. Hopefully that helps. If you have anything else you wanna know just pm me or somethin.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for the info man, definitely helps, especially since were close in age. so was that 300 in addition to base salary or in general? what was the base salary?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with cocaine?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your gonna sell cars, I would say go apply at a honda or toyota dealer. I hate to say it but they see more business than a ford or Gm stealer!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'd stick to school if i were you. until youre absolutely sure you know what you want. i'm not saying dont get a dealership job at all. you can still do that, but at least try to keep one school class while youre doing that. once youre out of school, its really really hard to come back. you may never even come back at all and may regret it.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

I am going on my third year selling for a chevy dealership. Do you make good money yes unless you do not have the proper training. Can you make over 100,000 a year yes but it is hard and you have to talk to a lot of people. Most people quit in less than a year. Your first year if you stick it out you will make around 35,000-45,000. I work at the most 53 hours a week. I went to Purdue and make a lot more than my friends who finished school. It does matter what brand you sell. Like me I love chevy's so that is where I work. You will find out that it is a pain to deal with people or rude people everyday. If you get with the right dealership they will treat you well and train you well. Yes you do have to work 12 hour days but its not like I bust my ***! My best advise would say try it. If you do not like it then go back to school. I know a lot of people would say don't do it but I know some that say they love it. You get what you put into it. I love to take vettes out and have a little fun! perks of the job i hope this helps you a little. If you need more advise let me know. Pay plans change place to place but figure you will get at least 25% of the gross profit.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
my dad makes 100+ now and he never went to school, but he's been with his company for over 25 years...I don't wanna wait that long, lol...100g a year these days doesn't seem like that much thanks to the cost of living...
Unless you live a very expensive lifestyle, or have some kids, $100k is plenty to live a happy life in today's dollars and in this region.

My wife and I together only make $85k, with me as the primary/higher earner, and we're doing fine. All our needs are met, and we both have most of the things we want. My garage is full of cars and our closets are PACKED with her clothes. No credit card debt, no car payments, and plenty in the bank. But then again, we don't have any interest in big, expensive vacations; or overpriced restaurants/bars. Also, we don't have any kids.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not always about how much you make, but more about what you do with it. Manage your money well, keep some safe investments in reserve, and you can go pretty far making a high 5-figure/low 6-figure income.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt D
What's wrong with cocaine?
He said coke not cocaine,I prefer pepsi myself though.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
i know a guy who started at a Ford dealership right otta HS.

I think he makes $100,000+

Drives an 04 Cobra

If selling cars were that easy then everyone would be doing it?
I don't think anyone wakes up one morning and says "I'm going to sell cars for a living."

Quick Reply: Anyone here a car salesman?