Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights??

just curious... do any of you just drive with your driving lights / foglights on?? Because i know they make lights that are bright enough to not have to use the headlights. My main concern is the cops harassing me im not sure if theres some law against not having "headlights" If theres anybody who does this let me know i just dont want to get rid of my headlights then get cops all over me I already have tint and exhaust they love me enough.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

anyone know laws in IN??? or anywhere on this subject?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Well, there is a big technicality that applies to many states across the country. Modifying a vehicle in any way, shape, or form that is not approved by the manufacturer is considered to fall under "Improper/Unsafe Equipment", which is a non-moving violation that can earn you 2 points on your Driver's License if not taken care of in 30 days. The ticket itself is also roughly $70.

From a safety issue, why take out your headlights? Driving during the day is no problem, but driving at night is a whole different story.

Here is the 2007 FL State Statute regarding Headlights

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.220 Headlamps on motor vehicles.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter, and shall show a white light. An object, material, or covering that alters the headlamp's light color may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a headlamp.

(2) Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in s. 316.217. This means your foglights are too low to classify as actual headlights.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I'd like to take my headlights out.... for 2 reasons... one because my headlight motors went out again and second reason weight of course.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If a cop notices it in Indiana, they are more likely to pull you over and give you a ticket. Most aren't strick but your better off keeping them in.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Are there any cheap alternatives to the pop up headlights??? I like them but I'm sick of changing motors............ And there has to be some weight to the headlight assembly especially right there on the nose...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kezy219
Are there any cheap alternatives to the pop up headlights??? I like them but I'm sick of changing motors............ And there has to be some weight to the headlight assembly especially right there on the nose...
Yea, but its not cheap. If you could find a way to mold the C6 headlights into the firebird would be cool.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

i drive in my neighborhood at night sometimes with just the foglights on so i dont shine my lights in peoples houses and they def. arent bright enough to c well, and sure doesnt seem safe on a main road
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS184
i drive in my neighborhood at night sometimes with just the foglights on so i dont shine my lights in peoples houses and they def. arent bright enough to c well, and sure doesnt seem safe on a main road
I roll with my brights on in my neighborhood, because you never know when someone/something is going to run infront of you. But i do kill the light once i get to the house.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
I roll with my brights on in my neighborhood, because you never know when someone/something is going to run infront of you. But i do kill the light once i get to the house.
If i was in the ghetto i would have my brights on too,.!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
ya well u nvr know whn ur gnna get car jacked out there haha
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Well im not in the ghetto and as to fog lights not being bright enough maybe not the stock ones... but they have driving lights that are brighter than my headlights to begin with
Old 06-24-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

I believe they sell aftermarket Firebird headlights that do not require them to flip up. Taking your headlights out is only going to save you at BEST 5LBS.

Trust me, just keep them in.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

i've never been pulled over for cruisin with just the fogs on, but i have hid foglights. but i don't think i would take your headlights out completely, their are those times when u don't want to draw any attention to yourself

Quick Reply: Headlights??