Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Pendleton Marines got a few??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pendleton Marines got a few??

Hey All!

I am thinking of PCS'ing to Pendleton(from Camp Lejeune). How does the CA emissions thing work? Ive got all 4 of my vehicles(3 cars and a harley) registered in NC, will I be able to keep my NC tags? what kind if any of inspection will I have to pass? The camaro has all the emissions stuff but I am sure it wont pass a sniffer with the motor setup. The other 2 cars are stock so I shouldnt have any issue with that. My Harley is loud as ****, thats the other one I am concerned about.

I have heard awesome things about CA, compared to Lej. What is base housing like, and does anyone have any pics of E-5 housing W/dep or atleast what I can expect to get?

Ill have some more q's and Ill post them up as I think about it. Thanks!!

Jon
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer your questions but thanks for what you do from a fellow E5 service member
Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

you will still have to pass ca smog to register on base. other than that youll be ok and you will definitatly love it here
Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What all does CA smog include? I assume sniffer? cuz I doubt it will pass the sniffer.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sniffer and a very **** visual inspection
Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got a friend and his wife that are at Camp Lejeune. He's a prison guard or something like that or at least he was.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

i hope your car can run on 91 octane thats all you will find out here in the pumps bro
Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man Im going to have to sell my car, or store it if I end up out there........
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM
9 Second Club

you can all ways find a way around anything if you look hard LOL
i need my **** smog when i get back LOL
its alot of fun there all kinds of car **** to do
Old 12-26-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

here's how you work the system out in CA, so to say... I am at Pendleton myself... get your car registered at your home of record. The reason for this is you can probably do it all through the mail, and even if your state has smog rules, how the hell are they going to inspect it? Then ask around and try and find a "good smog guy" (translation: pay a little cash... ahem). Get it to pass smog (in CA), then you are good until your base stickersexpire. Play dumb if you get pulled over in Cali, and say "it is legal in my state.." For example, I only have to follow Illinois rules, not Cali rules, since I am not a Cali resident. Illinois has no emissions standards on car models 1995 and earlier, and I have a 95. I have only been given a hard time once, then he saw I had IL plates and left me alone. My car wouldn't pass smog now, but it did when I first bought it. I don't have to worry about it till late 2011 or 2012 (sorry, in Iraq right now, I haven't seen my car in 6 months...). I am going to have a pain in my *** when it comes 2011 and I have to pass smog again...
Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

danny how do you think i fell LOL
Old 12-27-2008, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

damn jon you going to leave this piece of heaven? lol. good luck with the smog ****, i'm thinking i might now be that far behind you heading out that way. i think it's time for me to leave this place in light of whats going on. i need some new scenery. LOL
Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tomz28
danny how do you think i fell LOL

I think you feel like you are going to get it in the pooper from CA or have to pay someone a BIG CHUNK of change to get it to pass. Either way, it is going to hurt. After I put my blower and cam and have the TD installed, I am going to be in a similar boat.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Utah has pretty strict emissions and safety laws, whereas OK doesn't. I'm a resident of UT technically, but not because my HOR is Oklahoma, so I have OK tags on both my vehicles and I can tell 'em to shove it if I don't have their inspection crap done, because it's not required. You're military, you're allowed to have your vehicle registered wherever you please. Though, I don't know if CA would make you do emissions still or not. Just giving you my side of it heh...
Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep in mind too, if you keep your car, theres no 1/4 mile around. Just the 1/8th in the parking lot of Qualcom.......and everything out there is expensive. There are some good points too, nice weather all the time, few good people going to Pizza Port all the time, and the cruises as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Launching!

haha. the smog testing was a joke out at 29. i got mine smogged when it was still bone stock, passed perfectly fine, then got the paper i needed to get my decals. i was disappointed. i could have typed up something that looked about as real as that. needless to say, it's been scanned for a friend, though never got around to changing the info on it for a mustang.

not sure how Pendleton works, but at 29, they just look at the paper, and if it says PASSED on there, they hand it back and proceed to do the rest. i'll be home around the end of march, and although i'm out at 29, if anyone out there needs a copy of the paperwork, let me know.

i'm anti-smog regs, and therefore anti-everything-in-cali regs. i'll support the cause. and is it true that you don't have to follow the car laws for california if you're registered in another? i'm registered in OK (which doesn't do inspections by the way ) and they still told me i had to smog test it for base.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Launching!

lt1 hawk, where are you right now in iraq? there's only one pendleton unit that i know of out here where i am,
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

I was some place else till very recently, but right now I am in Al Asad.

Here is how the rules go, as far as I understand them... If you are a CA resident and only hold "temporary domicile" there you are good, and do not have to follow thier rules. I am an IL resident even though I have lived in CA since 05 (well, Iraq too... should have bought a house here a couple years back... lol) I am NOT A RESIDENT OF CA. If you are active duty military, it is where you enlisted, unless you go through the process to change your home of record. Here is where CA tries to do an end run around our sweet little loophole... if you want to drive on base, you have to pass CA smog testing. It is something silly like "the Marines own the base, but CA owns the road..." or some bullshit like that. Either that or it was just a deal so CA could force you to do it. So if you live off base and never plan on taking the car on base, then you don't have to worry.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Launching!

wouldn't happen to be with RCT would you?

i'm not worried beacuse i got my paperwork for when my car was stock. that's all i'll ever need.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just recently got stuck here at 29 stumps and am also in the same boat. My 240sx has a head and cammed LS1 that I'm trying to bring out here. As far as what I have gathered:

We are military and are exempt from having to register our cars under CA state tags, while civilians have 10 days since the vehicle enters the state and you are a resident of CA. Saying that, our cars are exepmt from CA SMOG testing. That is, if you keep your car registered under your HOR, then you have to comply with your HOR smog rules. MI doesnt have any

The CA bases will try to loophole your loophole. To get on base stickers to have to have a safety inspection and SMOG test! They say since we are military we have to abide by CA regulations. I think its a crock.

So now I have to get ahold of my SSGT who owns a LS1 swapped tempest to see what he did or *cough* who he paid *cough* to pass smog. Wtomlinson, is that your black Camaro with the black zr1 wheels? Also, do you mind hooking me up with the paperwork? lol. I'm a PFC MCCES student, hoping your not an officer lol. Thanks for the help guys... -Alex

Quick Reply: Pendleton Marines got a few??