Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Calling all Marines...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling all Marines...

Hey Guys,

OK, I am getting so much different info. I was going into the NAVY, but they disapproved me due to having too many traffic tickets. Air Force?? No way

I am not doing bad. Financially I am fine, I have a wife and baby. I have always been pro military and now I finally got the ***** to join. at 22 I am still young.

Anywho, since the Navy said no I have Army and Marines. I feel I should have chose the marines first, but having many friends in the Navy, I chose that. I like the military bearing they poses and I want to tear **** up,lol

I have people telling me Marines and such, others saying they will brain wash me, I'll get a divorce, they are more apt to die,etc etc.

I scored a 59. My GT was 116 MM was 119. I was thinking Field Artillary. Yea anyone can do that, but for some reason, I want that excitement and such, and maybe I'll switch MOS's after my 1st term.

So I need the opinions of people who are actually in NOW, and there thoughs on this.

Are the Marines ok with family? Am I going to be deployed too much? Blah blah blah.

Also..boot camp..really. I know its going to be a big mind ****, but c'mon. The full metal jacket days are over correct? I mean no ones going to be beat by the drill instructor and so on?

Any MArines in here happily married? Are they going to dis own me in my battalion because I'm not out getting crazy and shyt with them?

This is just different flak I've heard from people.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive been in for 9 years now. I wouldnt change it for anything. Sometimes it can be hard on the family, but thats with any branch. Brainwashing or dying first....LOL. We have less people in Iraq and Afgh than the Army so of course our casualties are less....but I would be willing to be they are also less per capita.

Nobody gets brainwashed in the Marines. However some people do find out they bleed green and their blood type is Marine Corps+.

Feel free to ask me any questions, as Im a recruiter.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

I just got out in november, I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. The comradery and doing **** you cant do anywhere else is tops.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Also..boot camp..really. I know its going to be a big mind ****, but c'mon. The full metal jacket days are over correct? I mean no ones going to be beat by the drill instructor and so on?

Guess you'll have to go to find out! BTW, that kind of stuff is a violation of the SOP and we never violate the SOP.

Good luck,
Marc
GySgt, USMC (ret.)
DI, Parris Island
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are if the Navy disqualified you for too many tickets, the Corps will too. You can always try to apply for a waiver but it's not guaranteed.

TopFig
Old 04-24-2009, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by topfig1
Chances are if the Navy disqualified you for too many tickets, the Corps will too. You can always try to apply for a waiver but it's not guaranteed.

TopFig

It depends on what kind of tickets they are and whats actually on your record. Minor traffic violations dont really mean **** to the Marines.

But wreckless and DUIs can be a problem.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
It depends on what kind of tickets they are and whats actually on your record. Minor traffic violations dont really mean **** to the Marines.

But wreckless and DUIs can be a problem.
I had a handful of applicants disqualified for excessive traffic violations in 1st District. Unless something has changed it can be a disqualifier.

TopFig
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

I was in 5 years. Looking back boot camp was funny. I got married on boot leave to my high school sweet heart. She stayed with me through the whole tour. We now have been married for over 11 years and had our first kid after I got out. I would really, REALLY sit down with your wife and ask her if she can handle being a single mom. Especially field artillery, you will spend a lot of time in the field. You will go to Japan for a year unaccompanied, your wife and kid won't be able to go. You will go on floats for 6 to 9 months, you will go to Iraq or Afghanistan for a at least a year. Your wife has got to be a strong woman. We were lucky in not having any kids so my wife just enjoyed the time when I was gone.

A 59 ASVAB score is not bad but I would study and take it again. Get a job dealing with aircraft. I was with Marine Air Controls Squadron 1 and the grunts would say "swing with the wing" When we went to the field we had A/C Heaters, playstations, satellite TVs, telephones. We were comm so we had lots of room to pack personal stuff.

It was a great 5 years, I did everything I could. I would go on SAR flights, rode in a Russian HIP helicopter, CH 53. I was a HAZMAT coordinator for the squadron, and a martial arts instructor.

Looking back now, I got paid to do all the stuff I don't have time to do now..ie go shooting, PT, training.

Good luck
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I've been in for over 10 years and I would not change anything if I had to do it over again. I am happily married and have been for over 6 years. Granted my wife has had to raise our two kids on her own while I have been deployed but because of that she stays home to raise our kids. So although I may have missed that first step or word she has seen it all for both of my kids. If you want to "tear **** up", I would think you would want to be in the Infantry. Brainwashed lol yeah okay, and divorced well that can happen anytime, your wife has to understand and be strong enough to be without you for a deployment, independent, and have trust in one another. Die??? That as well can happen if you’re in any other branch or at home. If you want to play it safe and never worry then join the Peace Corps. I bet you ask all these ppl that said we are brainwashed or what not and they will say they thought about joining the corps but didn't. There is a reason why It's the Few and The Proud. It's what you make of it and all my friends that have gotten out and that I still talk to say they miss the camaraderie and are still proud they served our beloved corps. Your life, your choice but of course you still have to qualify to even get in. Good luck
Old 04-25-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by topfig1

TopFig
Agreed. It is worth a try to talk to the recruiters and find out what you can work out, if anything. But I am guessing that since we are already ahead of schedule on the enlisted side for the expansion of the force, and they are going back to boatspaces for reenlistments that they are going to be less willing to bend over backwards to get guys in....
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nytmare1

Guess you'll have to go to find out! BTW, that kind of stuff is a violation of the SOP and we never violate the SOP.

Good luck,
Marc
GySgt, USMC (ret.)
DI, Parris Island
pfft... no comment

Originally Posted by 97ssmokem
I would really, REALLY sit down with your wife and ask her if she can handle being a single mom. Especially field artillery, you will spend a lot of time in the field. you will go to Iraq or Afghanistan for a at least a year. Your wife has got to be a strong woman. We were lucky in not having any kids so my wife just enjoyed the time when I was gone.

Looking back now, I got paid to do all the stuff I don't have time to do now..ie go shooting, PT, training.

Good luck
you wife being home pretty much being a single mom is a reality for her but so is it for all the other spouses out there.....you definately need a strong spouse to be in the military...

Iraq and Afghanistan for a year???? Of all the tours I have done they have never been longer than 8 months tops...

I'll agree with getting paid to do stuff you won't get paid to do anywhere else

Originally Posted by Pro52R

Are the Marines ok with family? Am I going to be deployed too much? Blah blah blah.

the marine corps is a family....a disfunctional one but family none the less..
being deployed and all that other crap you are wondering about will come with the MOS you pick and teh unit you are with....it just depends
If you are older (not 18-20) it will be a decisive difference than what you are used to.... being on you own you know the freedoms in life not living under mommy and daddy's roof. Being in Boot Camp puts you back in that situation...loosely.
There are a ton of ins and outs of the military in general, so post ? you feel like you need anwsers to....then we can anwser them. Much easier than telling you everything we can possibly think of.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Teching In

I can appreciate your desire to enlist in the Marine Corps, but for the record, it isn't the only branch you'll have the opportunity to "tear **** up" in. There are hardheaded Marines that sit at a Computer Help Desk all day, and even more amazingly, Air Force guys that man Miniguns in an 1151 turret with Green Beret ODA's.

Don't let a bias or a stereotype coerce you into one service/job or another. I'd be a little more discerning about what you want out of the military, and where you plan to be after it's all said and done. There is, afterall, life after the service. Consider the fact that being an expert in field artillery doesn't necessarily translate into a lucrative post-service career in the civilian 120mm cannon industry.

My advice is to reverse-engineer. Look at where you want to be in 10 years, or 20, and draw the flow chart backwards. Choose your MOS based on that, and then consider which branch will allow you to do exactly that while still providing other perks and quality of life. That considered, you've gotta decide whats more important to you in life. You've got a wife and new baby... when you're on your deathbed, will you have been more fulfilled to have been a family-man first and soldier second, or vice versa?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I guess I'll add my two cents. I've been in for 7 1/2 years, and while I wouldn't give up the experience for anything, I'm ******* done. The Marines will be hard on your family, especially as artillery. I should know, I did 4 years in S Btry 5/10, and it wasn't often that we didn't spend at least 2 weeks out of the month in the field. On top of the back yard training there was Rolling Thunder at Fort Bragg twice a year, which was a month long; CAX once every year or two which was two months in 29 palms, and of course the deployments. I did a 6 month UDP (unit deployment program) to Okinawa, and a 7 month deployment to Iraq. There are only a few batteries that do Okinawa (it's only 6 months there, not a year, unless you get stuck in 3/12, and then it's a 3 year accomponied tour), the majority of them go on MEUs, either to East Asia or the Meditteranean.

Now, I am happily married, but I only got married in October as a 7 year Sergeant. If you do join the Marines, or any branch for that matter, be smart and don't live in the middle of the town near base. Military bases are the infidelity capitals of the world. Find a quieter town nearby and do a half hour commute to base, keep her away from the other Marines/soldiers/sailors/airmen. You may trust your wife, but don't for a minute trust your fellow servicemembers.

Boot camp is almost entirely a mind game. All you need to do for that is keep your head up and put forth every ounce of effort you can find.

Damn, work calls, I'll finish this later
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

yup everything he said is true if you do go arty you better hope not to be stationed here in 29 palms because you will be in the feild more htan half of the year with 3/11 with a battry and yes stay away from base you may trust your wife but don't trust anyone around her move out in town somewhere away from base the Marines are a great family with alot of hard love good luck if you do decied to o through with this

Originally Posted by msgZ28
I guess I'll add my two cents. I've been in for 7 1/2 years, and while I wouldn't give up the experience for anything, I'm ******* done. The Marines will be hard on your family, especially as artillery. I should know, I did 4 years in S Btry 5/10, and it wasn't often that we didn't spend at least 2 weeks out of the month in the field. On top of the back yard training there was Rolling Thunder at Fort Bragg twice a year, which was a month long; CAX once every year or two which was two months in 29 palms, and of course the deployments. I did a 6 month UDP (unit deployment program) to Okinawa, and a 7 month deployment to Iraq. There are only a few batteries that do Okinawa (it's only 6 months there, not a year, unless you get stuck in 3/12, and then it's a 3 year accomponied tour), the majority of them go on MEUs, either to East Asia or the Meditteranean.

Now, I am happily married, but I only got married in October as a 7 year Sergeant. If you do join the Marines, or any branch for that matter, be smart and don't live in the middle of the town near base. Military bases are the infidelity capitals of the world. Find a quieter town nearby and do a half hour commute to base, keep her away from the other Marines/soldiers/sailors/airmen. You may trust your wife, but don't for a minute trust your fellow servicemembers.

Boot camp is almost entirely a mind game. All you need to do for that is keep your head up and put forth every ounce of effort you can find.

Damn, work calls, I'll finish this later
Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 AM
TECH Regular

If you want to go kill **** and what not, an arty guy will do that but if you want to see what you kill go grunt. I have been a grunt for five years now and love it. Im not married so cant really comment on that. I dont regret joining. I am going to San Diego in Jan. to be a D.I. If you get stationed on Camp Pendleton you have the ocean and a couple of drag strips near by. You will always deal with bull **** in any service and any rank, so know that and dont let it get you down. Statisticly we die less and deployments are 7 months instead of the armys 13. Since the war is not so kinetic the time state side is getting longer. Just dont be a shitbag and do what your told while your a boot and you will do fine.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

I have been in for almost 11 years and the whole time has been a blast. The Corps has its ups and downs but I wouldnt trade it for anything. I have met alot of civilians that ask me similar questions to what you are asking. I dont push the Marine Corps on anyone not even my Marines, I think that it is up to the individual to look at himself and realize they really want to join/or stay in. I did 10 years as single man and when I met my wife I put all out on the table and explained about deployments, work ups, training exercises etc. There is alot that goes on prior to deploying. It takes a strong woman to be able to hold down the fort while youre gone. Im an Air Winger my self 6531 Aviation Ordnance/ Crew Chief. My older bro a Tanker, my younger bro a Grunt. I hear it from them all the time.....Lazy wingers blah, blah ,blah. Whatever, I love what I do....how many people can say they love going to work and they love their work enviroment and commaradeire(sp) of their co workers? Sit down and think about it, think about whats best for your situation and if you decide to do it, then do it and kick *** while youre doing it. OUT!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

How many traffic did you have total? I am a Navy recruiter so if you tell me exactly what your hiccup was, I can try and see if there is any way I can help you out...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by msgZ28

This. is. awsome. advice. I joined as a married guy, and I've always lived 25+ minutes from the base. I love the Corps, and I'll be staying in 20 years. Marines are great, but it's nice to come home to a regular house and leave the military wives gossip behind.

My wife actually loves the USMC as well. She loves the airwing culture, and she is as tight with the wives club as I am with my Marines. The whole squadron goes out EVERY friday night and gets smashed together, wives and all.

She loves making fun of the USAF just as much as I do!

Quick Reply: Calling all Marines...