Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Whats the USAF job for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the USAF job for me?

Okay, I'm in pretty good shape. I was thinking about security forces but I don't want to be a security guard. I want to do more hands-on actually doing something. I also thought about doing special forces jobs, but I don't know what to think of them. I'm in martial arts, I love shooting guns, and I work out. Someone point me in some directions. I've already looked on airforce.com...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do you want to kill or turn a wrench on a system that kills? sounds like your walking the path to...

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob1c2x1.htm
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 PM

I'd like to strap on a gun not do maintenance on one. And I don't really want to do air traffic control, which is in the job description. I'd like to do something that doesn't reauire me behind a desk 24/7.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM

I know air traffic control wouldn't be 24/7, I just don't like the idea of that job.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1C2X1 - COMBAT CONTROL. my bad i don't know the AFSC .

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob1t0x1.htm

http://www.gosere.com/about-sere.htm

http://www.gosere.com/

http://forums.military.com/eve/forum...61/m/773106634

i work with ICBM's. the other side of the USAF
Old 09-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks hawk. I'll be looking into those things.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Launching!

TACP/JTAC-Tactical Air Control Party, 1C4X1. I was a 1A4X1 (Airborne Battle Management) with Joint STARS and spoke with those guys on the radio overseas. They deploy with Army units and call for air support.

The movie Transformers has a pretty cool scene on that. While it was very Hollywood, it does demonstrate fairly accurately (by movie standards) the process of calling for air support (ground unit request for air which is pushed to command and control which pushes to a tactical asset).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob1c4x1.htm

1C4X1 - TACTICAL AIR COMMAND AND CONTROL
Specialty Summary. Performs and manages tactical air control party (TACP) operations. Provides Air Force assistance and expertise in planning and controlling combat air resources. Operates and supervises communications nets to support army ground maneuver units. Related DoD Occupational Subgroup: 250.

Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervises and conducts mission planning and coordination of combat air resources. Recommends use of combat air resources to support mission requirements, tactics, air support assets, and ordnance capabilities and limitations. Extracts target information from maps. Plans and controls combat air support missions. Coordinates field artillery support.

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-18-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

SFS you dont do to much security guarding just for the heads up. Also might want to look at:

1A7X1 - AERIAL GUNNER
another new one is Combat Weather
Old 09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
SFS you dont do to much security guarding just for the heads up. Also might want to look at:

1A7X1 - AERIAL GUNNER
Yup. SFS is a LOT of standing around. However the recruiter pitches that job (ex. ride in helicopters at deployed locations, ATV's etc.), I promise that it's far more boring than you could possibly imagine. We'd come back from 10+hr flights and see the same guards at the flightline ECP as when we took off. lol

While I would say that any enlisted aircrew position is a good deal, they are anything but physically demanding (which is what he's looking for).
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Teching In

CCT, PJ, TACP, EOD, SERE, SOWT.

specialtactics.com - CCT/PJ/SOWT

romad.com - TACP

EOD - youtube, brownorigin.com

gosere.com
Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Check out Para Rescue, otherwise known as a PJ. Those guys are pretty bad ***.

But if you want to be assured you will not be behind a desk you should really check out BUDS, SEALS. Out of all the branches they have the best setup system for SpecOps.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you think you're good enough and tough enough the combat controllers are a pretty tough bunch to beat. It's like a forward air controller who gets to shoot **** and fight!! Doesn't get much better than that if that's your mindset.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bygblok
It's like a forward air controller who gets to shoot **** and fight!
lol...all forward air controllers get to do that, thats where the "forward" comes from.

I'm a TACP, just got out of Afghanistan (actually sittin in manas right now), heres the run down on the TACP vs CCT issue.

First of all you need to know that "JTAC" is the qualification you need to drop bombs, both CCT and TACP go to JTACQC, the school to get that qualification, but only TACP specializes in it, it's our sole purpose in life to be JTACs. Combat Controllers get JTACQC every once in a while as almost an additional duty.

CCT's job is to provide ausetere air traffic control, so for example we go to war with Russia, CCT teams will be attached to ODA (Special Forces teams) teams and Ranger elements who are assigned air field seizures. So they go in and clear out the airfield (shooting and fighting) then provide air traffic control until a "real" air traffic controller is landed. Now CCT guys are certified air traffic controllers and have to maintain that qualification, but I say "real" because its not like they sit in the tower doing it as their main job. You will go to ATC school and while the rest of the pogs get time to study, you will be doing some heinous PT. The CCT pipeline is about 2 years long, hard as ****, and you will come out of it with Airborne, HALO, Scuba, and SERE training. The swimming is what washes most people out, eventually you will be required to swim 50m underwater, swim with fins for roughly 2 million miles, etc...

TACP's are attached to and deploy with Army units of all shapes and sizes from armor units to ODA and ODD. For instance I was in Afghanistan with paratroopers out of Alaska (although I live in Ft. Lewis with mech guys...but ***** all fucked up so I wont get into it haha). Our job is to become and then maintain JTAC status and control close air support for whoever it is that we are with. There are two sides, sitting in a TOC and out in the field, I did a ton of both. It's not high speed, but the plain and simple truth is some missions are better controlled from the TOC, sitting at a desk with a radio and a computer screen where you have much more situational awareness. On the other hand, if youre strafing bad guys 100m away or dropping danger close bombs on mooj, you need to actually be out there. Usually you will be with the on-scene commander, but this can be as low as a squad leader or as high as a full bird if thats what the mission dictates. The TACP schoolhouse is very challenging, my flight graduated with 9 out of 32 originals, but there is no swimming, so if you can just gut it out you will be fine. Ruck marching (you will build up to 12 miles with about 100lbs of gear) and the Field exercise/hell week are what get most people. You won't get any sexy schools right off the bat like CCT, but you can go to any of them if you arent a dirtbag (we just had 3 guys graduate Ranger schools last month for example), SERE is in the pipeline, but after the schoolhouse it will be a joke.

Now here is where it gets kind of confusing. Because of the huge demand for JTACs, CCT gets used to fill in. They ONLY support SOF (Special Operations Forces - SF, SEAL, Delta, etc...). TACP's support conventional units by default, but can try-out and be selected for SOF and Ranger assignments. In fact, those who get assigned to SOF units get sent to Combat Controller units and get sent to any of the cool-guy schools they don't have yet (usually HALO/Scuba). A lot of people feel that eventually the careerfields are just going to merge.

I'm not going to try and beat my chest here, CCT is WAY harder than TACP, but eventually, if it's your goal, both lead to the same job - SOF/Ranger JTAC, in about the same time. The CCT pipeline is so damn long that if you go TACP you will probably already have a deployment and a JTACQC slot by the time youd be finishing AST and going to a CCT unit. On the other hand though, if you go CCT and make it you will strictly live the SOF life, you will live on Air Force bases and have a "Im cool so I do whatever the **** I want" waiver as opposed to living on Army posts and dealing with Joe (who is ******* stupid btw). You will very rarely find yourself in any kind of a TOC, the training budgets and what not are way bigger, it's just a much better life, thats the bottom line.

I reccomend you go CCT if you think you really are in good enough shape and if you wash out go TACP. There are a lot of guys in the TACP careerfield who are CCT wash-outs, but its usually just the ones who couldn't swim. The guys who wash out because they are dirt-bags or half retarded don't make it at the schoolhouse either.

There's a youtube video the instructors made, search for TACP schoolhouse or something you should be able to find it. It's by "Cleared Hot Productions".

Last edited by J2Pharren1; 09-19-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

at Manas huh? One of my best buds is there now with the 135's. I'm doin' the Deid.......... dirt cheap!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bygblok
at Manas huh? One of my best buds is there now with the 135's. I'm doin' the Deid.......... dirt cheap!
Cool. I did four trips there (the first was in Camp Andy/the tents). I hear they even have wireless out there now.

Attached Thumbnails Whats the USAF job for me?-n621823890_190475_3842.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnlv6
Cool. I did four trips there (the first was in Camp Andy/the tents). I hear they even have wireless out there now.

yep, up town all the way for us. Wireless, living in trailers and shittin' in a cadillac!! Thats some funny **** there....Alabama of the Middle East!!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt

1A7X1 - AERIAL GUNNER
Aerial gunner is something I would absolutely love. I don't necessarily have to have a gun on me, but shooting something would be awesome. I also love flying so an aerial gunner would be awesome. The only thing is I have to get a high score on the asvab..

And combat weather???
Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmokeyLines
Aerial gunner is something I would absolutely love. I don't necessarily have to have a gun on me, but shooting something would be awesome. I also love flying so an aerial gunner would be awesome. The only thing is I have to get a high score on the asvab..
The ASVAB is like a 3rd grade level test, you'll be fine. Also Aerial Gunner is highly sought after, be prepared to wait a long time for it.

And combat weather???
Is a joke, don't even bother
Old 09-20-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jperran
The ASVAB is like a 3rd grade level test, you'll be fine. Also Aerial Gunner is highly sought after, be prepared to wait a long time for it.
Alright man haha. TACP sounds and looks awesome. If you have time, do you mind just going through like a week of what you do? I'm starting to get really interested. I know that I'm physically able to do the stuff in that TACP school house vid on youtube.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmokeyLines
Alright man haha. TACP sounds and looks awesome. If you have time, do you mind just going through like a week of what you do? I'm starting to get really interested. I know that I'm physically able to do the stuff in that TACP school house vid on youtube.

Good deal, I typed something like that up for some one before, I'll search for it tonight and post it up for you. I'm thinking maybe I should make a TACP FAQ thread or something.

It's crazy, not too long ago recruiters didnt even know what TACP was.

Quick Reply: Whats the USAF job for me?