Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

preparing to enlist

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preparing to enlist

i plan on joining the marines out of highschool and i was wondering if theres anything to prepare me for basic? im going to talk to a recruiter when i get the time to, its just hes an hour away. also do you guys know any message boards about the marines or military service so im not bugging you with questions?

thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Im in the Army and I know it is not the exact same, but I can tell you PT. Start working out I belive that you will need to do a three mile run for your PT test so that meanes that you will probly run four plus miles every day to get in shape for a three miler, see what Im saying. Start now and it will be easy run one mile for a week, then run two for a week and so forth... Ask the recuiter to give you a sample PT test and then you can work on your weak areas, but I can tell you start running.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Be in good shape. Learn to keep your mouth shut and don't speak unless spoken to. Start referring to yourself as this recruit. Any more questions feel free to ask. I am a Sgt in the Marine Corps
Old 03-01-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Start running... A LOT, go to an army navy store and buy a rucksack with a frame and put weight in it to walk around with gradually increasing until youre up to about 80 lbs. and do some jogging with it at around 50 lbs. You're not bugging anyone with questions, ask any question you have. A lot of us probably wish that we had asked questions on here before enlisting.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I just graduated USMC boot 2 months ago pm me with any questions or concerns. You dont have to be in any kind of shape they will take care of that for you don't worry
Old 03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

hey thanks alot guys, it was a really hard decision. i have no idea how im gonna tell my mom shell go nuts. my dad was in the army as a sniper so hell understand. i just feel its something i have to do. ill make a trip to the recruiter over the weekend with a few guys from school. its hard ive been doing alot of sneaking around my mom. shes been throwing away all my brochures and even my west point application lol. any thoughts on how to break it with her?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Teching In

brake away from the titty and do it!! If your old enough to enlist your old enough to tell your mom. Not to sound harsh, but you better get used to people talking like that. Buy your mom a tube of vagisil and tell her it'll be all right. But as already stated, if you have any more questions you can pm me.

by the way, I am kidding.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by firehawks_suck
brake away from the titty and do it!! If your old enough to enlist your old enough to tell your mom. Not to sound harsh, but you better get used to people talking like that. Buy your mom a tube of vagisil and tell her it'll be all right. But as already stated, if you have any more questions you can pm me.

by the way, I am kidding.

LOL

Best advise is to keep open mind and your MOUTH SHUT...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I was in the Marines for 4yrs. and spend the last 3 yrs. in the Army... I think the main thing you have to think about if you have not signed anything yet. Is that if you sign up you go in knowing that you are going to be in for 4yrs. automatically and will be going to a war zone. That is a fact and I don't know how close you are to your folks but it will be very hard on them. Just throwing in my 2 cents....
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redaddiction
I just graduated USMC boot 2 months ago pm me with any questions or concerns. You dont have to be in any kind of shape they will take care of that for you don't worry
What he said.Prepare to get drug.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

you dont have to do anythign to get ready, you dont need to go get in great shape or anything like that. you will be fine as long as your not a huge fat slob that cant even jog or somthing.

all you need to do is sign the papers and show up when its tiem to go.

things havnt changed since i went thought 6 years ago

brook
Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kiddn.. But before you do it make sure you want to.. you will most likey barley ever see your family and friends again and probablly got to Iraq or somwere over there depending on your job. But i would say its a good choice..Great life experiences and some bad ones..

Correct you wont have to prepare yourself... They will get you inshape no matter what.. Im not in the marines but im an 11B in the ARMY (infantry) But all i can say is shut up do what your told run everywere... EVERYWERE! i know we do alot of road marches and im sure you will to so strap some weight on your back and find some hills to climb strengthen your legs. But they will get you were you need to be.Have fun!

SPC. Ellis
Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

I don't care what everybody else says get in shape before you go!!! It makes life a whole lot easier. You have enough to worry about otherwise
Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

i do plan on getting in shape and graduating basic in the top 5 of my class, anything else will be a failure in my opinion. im gonna get in a running club at school then run cross country(ugh) in the fall. im gonna hit the weights as hard as i can until i go. is there any shooting drills i should practice?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

not really. usually the people that have never shot before do the best anyway. you don't have any bad habits to break. Just listen to your PMI. Any muscle you put on before you go you will lose while there so work out to tone and get in shape, not to get big. It's all about endurance. Your class is a platoon and there really isn't a top five. You will want to be the guide or the squad leader. That basically puts you in charge of the rest of the platoon. The bad part is you usually get the most **** from the drill instructors. Work on pull-ups... Most people struggle with those. A perfect PFT (physical fitness test) is 20 pull-ups 100 crunches in 2 minutes and an 18 minute 3 mile. Practice climbing the rope. It is the biggest challenge on the obstacle course that you will get very familiar with. Any more questions feel free to ask. Don't listen to the Army
Old 03-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Get in some kind of shape before you go. You'll have enough on your plate already. When it comes to shooting the better shooters are the ones who have never shot a weapon before as stated before.

Where do you live now? I'm asking because if your west of the Mississippi you'll be heading to San Diego for boot and the whole second phase of bootcamp will be at Camp Pendleton. You'll want to get used to hiking up mountains if you go there. Now if your east of the Mississippi you'll be off to Parris Island. You won't have any mountains to hike up but I've heard there is a whole lot of swamp you'll have to go thru. At least this is how it was back when I was in (1992 - 1997)

Good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

im in ohio so ill be in parris island. so dont shoot? sounds good. i can run in the 80acre college near the Y where ill be lifting. i can do 12 pullups, 50-60 crunches, 30 pushups which i can improve a ton on in a year. my problem is the running. i run like an 8 minute mile, but i think the cross and running club will push me to keep up with the pack
Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

run run run! Run Forest run. Then when yer done, you still have more to run. So if you you didnt get that................RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the biggest thing you need to work on right now is the crunches. Everything else is passing on the PFT. Work on upper body strength too. That always helps
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what you posted above you definately need to work on the crunches. Your pullups and run are on par so I wouldnt worry about that too much. If you are worried about the run then just get out and run.... doesnt have to be fast but the important thing is to log some miles. runnersworld.com is a great source to get info on proper running techniques and training plans.

To survive boot camp, endurance and a strong will to keep going is the name of the game. Everything else will fall into place. Best advice anyone to give is to remember where you came from and to always go by the old addage to treat others the way you would want to be treated. May seem an odd thing to say but keep it in the back of your mind and you will see what I mean in due time.

Last but not least, make sure to have an MOS you like locked on before you sign anything. There are endless things to do so pick something you know you will enjoy because its a royal pain to change it once your in.

Quick Reply: preparing to enlist