Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air Force to Army...Warrant Officers please read.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Air Force to Army...Warrant Officers please read.

I am currently a C-130 crew chief stationed at Pope AFB, NC. I have been in about 4 1/2 years, and am currently an E-5. I am seriously considering leaving the Air Force to join the Army as a Warrant Officer to fly helicopters. I need some feedback please about a Warrant Officers life (ie: family, $, etc.) A lot of people have told me I'm nuts, and that I have it made in the Air Force. But I would love to fly, and feel I have a good opportunity in front of me. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

Ken
Old 11-09-2006, 12:41 PM
JUICED96Z

One HUGE benifit to ARMY flight....

You can get out and make GOOD money flying civilian helo's.

The ARMY pays for your flight school and if I told you how much it is to go threw at a civilian school you would have a stroke. Its hundreds and hundreds of dollars an hour.

I have talked to a few guys they flew for the ARMY and they said that they had no problem finding jobs even AFTER they retired from the ARMY. All said they loved doing it.

Only thing that blows is that those guys get to sleep out in the field with their birds LOL. ARMY guys also deploy more and or at least longer then the AF guys.

Ad far as I know this is the best ARMY helo unit BAR NONE!
http://www.nightstalkers.com/
Old 11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warrants

The Warrant corp would be a great move. They don't have to worry about daily enlisted affairs, nor Straight Officer affairs, they are always in the middle. That would be a great move for you. Fly black hawks though. I was accepted to flight school but it wasn't a good time in my life. blaha blah. anyway go for it.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z

The ARMY pays for your flight school and if I told you how much it is to go threw at a civilian school you would have a stroke. Its hundreds and hundreds of dollars an hour.

I have talked to a few guys they flew for the ARMY and they said that they had no problem finding jobs even AFTER they retired from the ARMY. All said they loved doing it.

Only thing that blows is that those guys get to sleep out in the field with their birds LOL. ARMY guys also deploy more and or at least longer then the AF guys.

Ad far as I know this is the best ARMY helo unit BAR NONE!
http://www.nightstalkers.com/
yes juiced is telling the truth. To go to SOAR you actually have to fill out a application first. they are the real deal.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
I am currently a C-130 crew chief stationed at Pope AFB, NC. I have been in about 4 1/2 years, and am currently an E-5. I am seriously considering leaving the Air Force to join the Army as a Warrant Officer to fly helicopters. I need some feedback please about a Warrant Officers life (ie: family, $, etc.) A lot of people have told me I'm nuts, and that I have it made in the Air Force. But I would love to fly, and feel I have a good opportunity in front of me. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

Ken
Going flight in the Army is a great thing to do. You arent enlisted and yet you dont have the manegerial duties of a fully comissioned officer. You will get to fly quite a bit more than the commissioned pilots also. The money isnt bad either, as a WO1 expect to make about 50k starting, although the pay goes up a good bit once you make CW2. Check the pay charts though to see. There is also much better promotion opportunity in the Army than in the AF, that is why there is also a good amount of AF officers that are trying to transfer to the Army, not as much red tape to get past for promotions.

Check out this site, its pretty good for officer info. www.armyocs.com

Last edited by brad8266; 11-12-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z

It really depends on what you do when you get out though. There are guys flying out to oil rigs in the gulf that make over 100k yet there are other guys in simulation that make like 60k as contractors, and yet there are othjers who get like GS11-12 positions that make anywhere from 60k-80K with a pension too. Keep in mind that if you want to actually fly you will always have to stay somewhat in shape to pass the flight physical.

Last edited by brad8266; 11-12-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Teching In

I considered it about 10 years ago. The only thing that stopped me was the fine print about failing out of flight school and having to fulfill a service comitment in the MOS of the Army's choice. Aside from that, I think its a great choice.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
yes juiced is telling the truth. To go to SOAR you actually have to fill out a application first. they are the real deal.
Thats why they crashed into the water during the Bahama mission. I think they also crashed a CH47 into the water in one of the great lakes as well. They arent all they are cracked up to be. They still **** up too just like the rest of the aviation community does on rare occasions.

Last edited by brad8266; 11-12-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I am a senior warrant officer. You can go here for more info Warrant officer recruiting Select 153A army aviator in the drop down menu.
If you want to ask me some specific questions you can email me at
roy dot coffman at us dot army dot mil
Old 11-12-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it. Flight Warrants are a whole different class in the Army.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by brad8266
It really depends on what you do when you get out though. There are guys flying out to oil rigs in the gulf that make over 100k yet there are other guys in simulation that make like 60k as contractors, and yet there are othjers who get like GS11-12 positions that make anywhere from 60k-80K with a pension too. Keep in mind that if you want to actually fly you will always have to stay somewhat in shape to pass the flight physical.

Yeah and those oil rig jobs have great stability. I might end up working on those birds when I get out of school next semester.

If you don't plan to fly in the civlian sector I would FOR SURE fly blackhawks. I saw this because you can go and fly cool stuff like AH-64's but in the civilian world companies like to see pilots that have flown other people, carried cargo ect ect.
You could get a killer job on the oil rigs flying heavies and carring out heavy stuff to the rig. Or work the for power companies doing the same thing and make near or over 100k a year.

I do agree that the Warrents are in teh middle and you don't have to seal with the officer or enlisted crap...

Quick Reply: Air Force to Army...Warrant Officers please read.