Anyone married to another branch member?? - LS1TECH



Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone married to another branch member??

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
camaro2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 47
Default Anyone married to another branch member??

Just wanted to get some questions answered from experience if any one here is married to another branch member or if you know how it works.. my situation my gf is in the navy N i'm army so how would they go about stationing us together or close to each other? again any info would be appreciated thank you
camaro2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Giggity Giggity
iTrader: (23)
 
brad8266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 8,797
Default

You more than likely will not stay together all the time, if you were both in the same service it would be much better. being different branches will ake it really rough.
brad8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
TECH Regular
iTrader: (29)
 
jasonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 453
Default

hope and pray that the two of you can find some sort of unified command that has both your jobs in it, there are a few joint services units to get into. ie: combatant commands
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,816
Default

My wife and I are in the Army. Since 2002 we have not been together over 6 months. If was in Iraq, then she was about to go to Iraq. Now I go to Iraq again. It will be tough for a while longer until the Middle East settles down (that would be never). Different branches will require a lot of luck.
Urban Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #5
Launching!
iTrader: (3)
 
REDHOtTransAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 211
Default

my wife was in the Air Force, i am in the Marine Corps, they wanted to send her to Korea and then Germany, so she decided not to re-enlist...we wouldn't be together. for 9 months we were married, we were 3 states apart, and i was living in the barracks not receiving BAH because they said i didn't rate it..reason being, She was not a dependent because she is active duty, and also we had not established a household. It sucked too because she went on leave and came to visit me and i asked my 1st Sgt if she could stay the night in my barracks room during the night for a week and then just go out in town while i was at work and they said no we had to get a hotel. I was pissed because all the other Marines that were married and seperated from their civilian wifes lived in Geo-bachleor barracks and their wives could visit them in their rooms. pretty gay, we had to get a hotel room. Seperate services suck, if you are already seperated when you get married, you are accepting the fact you are seperated, don't plan on the military spending money to move one of you closer to the other cuz it is most likely not going to happen.

sorry for the horrible sentence phrasing, i hate writing essays and spliting up paragraphs more. deal with it
REDHOtTransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Giggity Giggity
iTrader: (23)
 
brad8266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 8,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM
my wife was in the Air Force, i am in the Marine Corps, they wanted to send her to Korea and then Germany, so she decided not to re-enlist...we wouldn't be together. for 9 months we were married, we were 3 states apart, and i was living in the barracks not receiving BAH because they said i didn't rate it..reason being, She was not a dependent because she is active duty, and also we had not established a household. It sucked too because she went on leave and came to visit me and i asked my 1st Sgt if she could stay the night in my barracks room during the night for a week and then just go out in town while i was at work and they said no we had to get a hotel. I was pissed because all the other Marines that were married and seperated from their civilian wifes lived in Geo-bachleor barracks and their wives could visit them in their rooms. pretty gay, we had to get a hotel room. Seperate services suck, if you are already seperated when you get married, you are accepting the fact you are seperated, don't plan on the military spending money to move one of you closer to the other cuz it is most likely not going to happen.

sorry for the horrible sentence phrasing, i hate writing essays and spliting up paragraphs more. deal with it
It doesnt go down like that in the Army, you would have gotten the BAH and lived off post. The Corps is fucked up for doing that ****, for what, to prove how hardcopre you guys are? Army Strong, we take care of our people.
brad8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
TECH Resident
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
Posts: 958
Default

my cousin and her husband are both marines
nickdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
camaro2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 47
Default

yeah i knew it was gonna be something else if and when we got married ... she's only going to do the 4 year term in the navy. I Kinda hope she doesnt change her mind later on down the road because i know that i will stay in for 6 + . Would mos's also have a big impact??
camaro2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Giggity Giggity
iTrader: (23)
 
brad8266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 8,797
Default

switch brances so you both will be in the same branch, thats if you both still want to serve.
brad8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 344
Default

There are places that have both army and navy bases nearby. In japan there are several navy bases and 1 primary army base for instance with one them being 10-15 minutes away. I have a soldier that is in the army and married to someone in the navy and they are living in army housing until she ETS's in the next few months. I assume she will move on the navy base at that time.

Either you can't go wrong with being in Japan

Greg
disassembled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: so cal
Posts: 91
Default

me and my wife both are in the marines. Right now she is in iraq because she requested to. She get BAH with dependents because she is a higher rank and we have a baby. I get BAH W/O dependents. They have made sure that we are stationed in the same area (50 miles according the MCO).
ice97ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 AM   #12
11 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
craparo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad8266
It doesnt go down like that in the Army, you would have gotten the BAH and lived off post. The Corps is fucked up for doing that ****, for what, to prove how hardcopre you guys are? Army Strong, we take care of our people.

or the fact that the corps is just very stingy with its money, except they are always stingy in cases where they shouldn't be, and the waste all the money places it doesn't need to go. Most married people do get BAH/BAS and live off post... even if your wife is active duty I am very surprised they didn't give him it.. I guess unit discretion. Atleast he should be a geographical bachelor.

oh yeah.. army taking care of their people.. right. Isn't it about time your recruiting motto change again too?
craparo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (3)
 
sgt0704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: gulf coast, ms
Posts: 624
Default

with the new order that just came out, they both rate their own BAH. Besides, it should be against policy to get married in the Military until your first 4 years are up, you're over 25, or you came in that way.

Don't rush to get married. most of you kids meet these girls at MOS school, fall in love, and then are miserable until your divorce. And then she gets the kids and the money.

There's too much ***** out there to settle for just one. ESPECIALLY at 18-21yrs old.
sgt0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
Giggity Giggity
iTrader: (23)
 
brad8266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 8,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craparo
or the fact that the corps is just very stingy with its money, except they are always stingy in cases where they shouldn't be, and the waste all the money places it doesn't need to go. Most married people do get BAH/BAS and live off post... even if your wife is active duty I am very surprised they didn't give him it.. I guess unit discretion. Atleast he should be a geographical bachelor.

oh yeah.. army taking care of their people.. right. Isn't it about time your recruiting motto change again too?
What does the recruiting motto have anything to do with us taking better care of our soldiers?
brad8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Launching!
iTrader: (3)
 
REDHOtTransAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 211
Default

the Marine's are very family oriented, however, they have to protect themselves against contract marriages. We got married knowing we were seperated, that was our choice, you can't just expect the military to cut you orders right away just because you get married...

she had less than a year left on contract, they weren't going to send her anywhere, she was already getting BAH but that's because the Air Force usually kicks them out in town after E4.

I didn't RATE BAH because she was active duty thus making her not a dependent. Secondly we had NOT established a household together. If I were to get orders somewhere else down the road, they would have to move me within 50 miles of her or pay us both seperations pay. Again though, like i said before, orders is not what seperated us from each other, we started off that way.

And as for the geo-bachelor thing, yeah they should have but they didn't and that pissed me off. They weren't paying me to live there so i couldn't live there, unless i wanted to pay out of pocket.
REDHOtTransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #16
Launching!
iTrader: (3)
 
REDHOtTransAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad8266
It doesnt go down like that in the Army, you would have gotten the BAH and lived off post. The Corps is fucked up for doing that ****, for what, to prove how hardcopre you guys are? Army Strong, we take care of our people.
Just so you know, one of the Marines i was stationed with was married to a female in the Army, and they were seperated by 3 states and he was in the barracks and so was she...so yes they do it in the Army too, you have to Rate BAH, look up the order, there are certain restrictions no matter what service you are. It sounds rediculous i know, i didn't believe i didn't rate it either...but that's the way it goes
REDHOtTransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #17
11 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
craparo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad8266
What does the recruiting motto have anything to do with us taking better care of our soldiers?
Nevermind... army strong ftw this week!
craparo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
Giggity Giggity
iTrader: (23)
 
brad8266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 8,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craparo
Nevermind... army strong ftw this week!
good reply to a simple question.
brad8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:59 AM   #19
Teching In
iTrader: (2)
 
2sloT/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 44
Default

My wife and I are both in the Navy and we both receive BAH. If your're going for an Army/Navy marriage you might try for Norfolk, VA area. I'm actually stationed on an Army base here and she's on a Naval base. Good luck.
2sloT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #20
Giggity Giggity
iTrader: (23)
 
brad8266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 8,797
Default

Fort Story FTW!!! What a sham post.
brad8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Navy Federal CU Just Floor It Military Hotrod Club 16 11-28-2010 08:43 PM
USAF Careers? PongoX11 Military Hotrod Club 46 05-23-2009 10:30 PM
Okay, I have a question. white02ws6 Military Hotrod Club 13 08-08-2008 08:20 PM
switching branches JHL88 Military Hotrod Club 38 12-15-2007 12:42 AM
How do you transfer to another military branch? Denom Military Hotrod Club 9 06-01-2006 04:12 PM


Tags
active, bah, bahbas, duty, japan, marines, married, member, people, receive, submarines

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.