Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

A surprising take on Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A surprising take on Iraq

I was hesitant to read this based on who it is and what she does. However, I was quite surprised. Not sure if these are indeed her own words or something simply signed by her...either way it is a good point and makes a lot of sense.

Article by Angelina Jolie

Today's humanitarian crisis in Iraq -- and the potential consequences for our national security -- are great. Can the United States afford to gamble that 4 million or more poor and displaced people, in the heart of Middle East, won't explode in violent desperation, sending the whole region into further disorder?

What we cannot afford, in my view, is to squander the progress that has been made. In fact, we should step up our financial and material assistance. UNHCR has appealed for $261 million this year to provide for refugees and internally displaced persons. That is not a small amount of money -- but it is less than the U.S. spends each day to fight the war in Iraq. I would like to call on each of the presidential candidates and congressional leaders to announce a comprehensive refugee plan with a specific timeline and budget as part of their Iraq strategy.

As for the question of whether the surge is working, I can only state what I witnessed: U.N. staff and those of non-governmental organizations seem to feel they have the right set of circumstances to attempt to scale up their programs. And when I asked the troops if they wanted to go home as soon as possible, they said that they miss home but feel invested in Iraq. They have lost many friends and want to be a part of the humanitarian progress they now feel is possible.

It seems to me that now is the moment to address the humanitarian side of this situation. Without the right support, we could miss an opportunity to do some of the good we always stated we intended to do.
I've said for some time that we as a nation better make sure the time us soldiers have spent/will spend in iraq is not in vain.

That being said, it would be nice if we didn't have to handle the lion's share of the humanitarian aid. Of course, we as the lone nice guy superpower, will.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

you know if we were smart, we would get russia to invade iran again, that way this war can be fought on two fronts, this would get the job done alot quicker, wiht more progress getting done everyday
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
I was hesitant to read this based on who it is and what she does. However, I was quite surprised. Not sure if these are indeed her own words or something simply signed by her...either way it is a good point and makes a lot of sense.

Article by Angelina Jolie

I've said for some time that we as a nation better make sure the time us soldiers have spent/will spend in iraq is not in vain.

That being said, it would be nice if we didn't have to handle the lion's share of the humanitarian aid. Of course, we as the lone nice guy superpower, will.
Wow I have to say that is a very well written and very true statement about what should be happening now in Iraq. We have a great opportunity to try and change opinions in the country. I wouldn't have expected from Jolie. We have changed the minds of tribal leaders because Al Queda helped by being over the top in their beliefs and the enforcment of them. If we could win over the people by showing we care it could change the whole situation. I've been there three times and the people were ready for change in 03 and still are.

Originally Posted by black_dragon_93
you know if we were smart, we would get russia to invade iran again, that way this war can be fought on two fronts, this would get the job done alot quicker, wiht more progress getting done everyday
Good idea.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

why you rolling your eyes? you do knwo that russia was at war wiht iran for 10 straight years
Old 02-29-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

why you rolling your eyes? you do knwo that russia was at war wiht iran for 10 straight years
It was actually more than 10 years but the 1800's thru WWII do not count in modern era Middle East politics. Russia backed Iraq during the Iran/ Iraq war but didn't actively participate in fighting. I posted the roll eyes because the answer in the region is not to drag another country into the conflict. It would alienate the countries that so far have kept fairly quiet and let things be as they are. Iran has a large voice in the region especially with moderate Muslims. Pissing off those people would not serve us well.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Hahahaha Remember what happen with that?? LMAO
Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkcrave
Hahahaha Remember what happen with that?? LMAO
hey atleast they tried lol, its was there veitnam, iam just so ******* tired of everybody bitchign about america being the only ones in the war, when in reality, england and austraila along wiht a bunch of other coutries are there too
Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, but i can count how many troops they have in iraq on two hands Lmao. but there trying
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

lol to bad we arnt buddy buddy with china, it would be nice to have them crazy ******* over there fighting too, lol yea i heard that belguim had like 7 troops there, what kinda bullshit is that ******* wimps
Old 02-29-2008, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Yea, it really is bullshit. but yeah i wish China would send a few thousand ******* over there. they are crazy lol

Quick Reply: A surprising take on Iraq