Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

joinin in may, got debt need to know if itll be handled...help????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default joinin in may, got debt need to know if itll be handled...help????

alright, totally not lookin for the 'good soldier' routine, but im really thinkin of joinin the navy, and doin one of the 2 and training tours in may (i get outa college then) and i have a huge question. i have a bit of debt, totaling about 11k (car, student loans, miscellaneous stuff) and i was wondering, is there any way of makin it through boot without the repo guy takin all my ****?
i know it sounds like a dumb question, but the cars not gettin sold, i want to keep it...period. the debt is gettin paid down as i can afford, and i havent missed a payment, im not tryin to ruin my credit.
the recruiter is tellin me i can have them auto draw from my bank account while im in boot and all, but i have a bunch of people tellin me they dont start payin you till after boot, and its freakin me out.
anyone been in a similar situation? i really need to know if i can get this taken care of (not lookin for them to pay my tab, just wanna make sure ill keep makin the payments)

help would be appreciated, pm me?

Last edited by kail; 03-04-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: didnt really edit, was going to, and didnt
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

They do pay you in boot camp. Your best bet is probably to give a parent your bank acct # etc and have them take care of it while you're in boot camp
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pay you while in boot, might take a week or so for the ppwk to finalize but most of that handled at your local MEPS and when you get there. You can I believe defer your payments, just have to look into that. I had my father on my account so he could make my payments since you do not access the internet till way late when you earn it. Are you done with school, you have 2 options they can pay it off or recieve G.I. Bill, there are some recruiters on here once in awhile, take your time and read fine notes, DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Launching!

ok, thanks for straitening that out
quick question
e1
e2
and e3 make how much every 2 weeks? i will have a little over 90 credits after graduating, and i dont know which one that will place me in. i

still have some talking to the recruiter to do, straighten things out. i decided to do it, now i gotta deal with the 'what nows' of it. i figure worst case scenario i hae it for 2 years, get out, and do reserve for the rest of it, and im in better shape, got military on my resume, and got more of an education..ive hated jobs for 2 years and had nothin to show for it so worst case is still better then where im at.
i figure best case, i make some friend, get in better shape, and get an education, turn around and extend my tour...
that sound about right?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will take longer than a week or so. In some cases it may take about a month for everything to go through properly. Since it's the first and 15th of every month, depends on when the paperwork gets submitted as to when you start getting payed. If your paperwork gets submitted on like the 10th and there are weekends and other days or it sits on someones desk, etc, etc, you can see how it might take longer for some.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

where are the recruiters, help this poor young man out, he wants to join! I got E2 with 36 credit hrs, you can get E3 maybe, I have no clue, recruiting wasn't my world but I knew what job I wanted, Bonus, and duty station, and I got it. You own them they don't own you, just you are limited to size of the bonus.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

alright former recruiter here. just left recruiting in Oct. Alright you will get E3. The cut off for that was 48 the last time I knew. they just have to be on official transcripts is all. Now the money issue. Yes you get paid in bootcamp.
You should call your bank and inform them of whats going on. Most banks will defer payments due to military service when you go in for upto 2 months. You would just need to show them your contract and that would be proof that your leaving on this date. If I were you I would do my best to save atleast one months car payment just in case they be a dick about it. the student loans might get taken care of by the goverment. but I wouldnt advise that if you loan is under 10,000. If you take that then you lose what ever bonus there might be. If you have any questions just pm me.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
where are the recruiters, help this poor young man out, he wants to join! I got E2 with 36 credit hrs, you can get E3 maybe, I have no clue, recruiting wasn't my world but I knew what job I wanted, Bonus, and duty station, and I got it. You own them they don't own you, just you are limited to size of the bonus.
yeah **** off ARMY with all your 6 million different damn bonuses.. we don't get ****!! I hate it.. yes they do pay you through boot camp.. expect to make the following give or take

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...enlbasepay.htm
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Launching!

great. thanks for the info, makes things clearer.
...does anyone know if i can make e4? lol jk jk....but seriously
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

with a degree i believe E4, sign up a few friends, take a test, it possible. Oh and don't hate the Army, somebody has to go in and fix the mess all in love buddy
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google Servicemembers Civil Relief Act

I highly recommend you apply for this after you come in
Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Will you have a degree when you get done with college? If so then try and go in as an officer! The pay difference and the perks are huge.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...ayCharts35.pdf

Assuming they still have that deal, if you have more than 45 units then you come in E-3 in the Air Force (not sure about the rest of the military).
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Launching!

2 year degree or 4 for officer? cuz ill have a 2.
and if it is 4 is there a test i can take or somethin?
you guys have been nothing but helpful thank you all
and the 6 percent credit cap, does that work if im joining voluntarily? im not reserve bieng called to active duty, im enlisting. i dont know if it would work for me, but if it would kick ***

Last edited by kail; 03-05-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Launching!

wouldnt let me edit, found the answer to the 6 percent credit cap on the jag website, works in my favor.
theirs alot more helpin out people tryin to get in then i thought there was. its kinda cool
Old 03-05-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

SCRA, as mentioned above will let you stop payment until you graduate and also limit your APR.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Look into the CLRP (college loan repayment program). Its not as good as the GI Bill, but its just a different way to pay for college you've already taken.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

if you use the college loan repayment program you will cheat yourself out of more money in the long run. take the bonus and the gi bill. or if they offer the navy college fund take that over the bonus. thats what I would tell all of my guys that come thru my office. the bonus adds a yr onto your contract. the college loan repayment I think does as well. I might be wrong on that one though. If you have 10,000 in debt including the car then you'd be better off taking the bonus and paying almost all of it off. just depends on the job you pick and when you leave. the officer option is depending on your GPA if they will even look at you. they get pretty **** about GPA and type of degree. the old way of doing things such as a degree in underwater basket weaving is viewed as exactly what it is useless. You should strive to have a techincal degree or something that would bring value to the Navy. Either way man what ever you decide good luck. Again if you want to ask PM me any kinda question feel free to do so.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Florida Boy
They do pay you in boot camp. Your best bet is probably to give a parent your bank acct # etc and have them take care of it while you're in boot camp
Yea, thats what I would do. Depends on ur bills though, you dont make much from bootcamp!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldnt join dude. Spend the rest of your life wondering what if.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

if youre worried about student loan mess dont worry because they should have tuition repayment, or at least the army does

Quick Reply: joinin in may, got debt need to know if itll be handled...help????