Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

While we're discussing deployments...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While we're discussing deployments...

Okay, since I've never deployed before and I'm sure there are others, what are some items that you've brought/wish you'd brought/used a LOT/used little/whatever in the desert? This can be anything, pens, paper, binders, clipboards, 3.5" disks, extension cords, stun guns, jet planes, Russian love slaves, Korean juicies, the whole 9 yards. any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'd overlook some of the things that get posted so I figured I'd pick your brains.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You can never have enough socks, underwear and T-shirts. Deep woods Off. The regular stuff is like a drug to the mosquitos and is completely ineffective unless you are trying to get bitten. This was before they had PX's so I overpacked. Also mail was not reliable then its pretty good now. So resupply is a lot easier than was before. I have been over there a few times and I usually pack more than what I need.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Teching In

What about other stuff like chapstick/lotion/baby wipes/detergent?

I plan on bringing LOTS of under garments (socks/shirts/underwear) since I'm pretty sure I have more sweat glands than everyone I know.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't use lotion and chapstick but laundry detergent was easy to get over there so I only took one small box to get me through the first two weeks or so. Babywipes I always pack the big box so I have plenty. Like I said they have pretty big PX's now so its not as big an issue as it was and the mail is also a lot faster. Be prepared but don't go overboard with toiletries unless you know you will not have access to a PX. Highly unlikely now though.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Lotion is good (for reasons unknown) lol

Seriously though, now days you have everything you need at the PX there. In '03-'04 it was different.

Scott
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the responses. Figured I'd be prepared so I didn't have to go to the PX/BX at the same time as everyone else. Either that or maybe help spread the cost around a bit.

In unrelated news: I get the pleasure of going back to work tomorrow for basically the first time all year. I've been in and out of the hospital because of my collapsed lung (my doc said it shouldn't interfere with deploying). I literally got back off leave and was in the hospital 2 days later. I got out, then went back for my follow up and it recollapsed. A couple operations later and here I am. Going back to work tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure where exaxctly you're headed in the sandbox bro(or what you AFSC is), (im about to leave) but back in sep. before i left heres a few things i made certain i had...

*Baby wipes (especially if you're down convoys)
*tooth paste, deoderant, razors, shaving cream etc.
*Shower shoes!!!!!!!!! Cheap *** $5 ones'll do
*Toiletry bag
*iPOD or Zune (trust me at minimum you'll want some kinda entertain ment)

Im sure you're readiness section will give you a list of ALL recommended items for you're TDY. Also take one of those Sharpie (washable marker pens) and MARK EVERYTHING(with you're laundry mark)!!!

Good luck bro!!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its going to depend on your job, and how long you'll be gone. Don't worry about so much extra clothing. You'll be in your duty uniform or PT gear the whole time, so you will have very little past that you'll need clothes wise.

More than likely, you're going to have a lot of time on your hands as most seem to. The best thing I brought during all of my deployments were entertainment items. It's a great time to take some cleps or online classes. I brought lots of books, movies, and video games, as well as a lot of batteries for my MP3 player.

Again, it will depend on your job, but most likely you're gonna have a lot of time on your hands, and boredom is usually you're most dangerous enemy.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you smoke or dip, those are always good, it's not cool to run out, and be buying cigs for a dollar or more each. once you get to the fob you will staying at, you should be straight.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Teching In

AFSC = 2W1 (Aircraft Armament/Weapons) length unknown exactly (I may be pulling a double)

I quit smoking because of health reasons (look up my name on Wikipedia) but I may take a carton simply to sell...Yeah, it's shady but I've got one stripe so I gotta make up where I can

I'm sure the workout facilities will be packed but I'm going to try to get into a workout routine before I go so it's second nature while I'm there.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

I just got back in December. I was one of the unfortunate ones, kinda, i was out away from the big camps. We had no PX, barber, MWR nothing. If your in South Carolina go to MCRD Parris Island and get a box of razors its hella cheap. shower shoes, baby wipes, lotion, and aloe vera are musts in my experience. Get some good undershirts for your camis, we werent allowed to wear the under armor stuff but i saw on other camps that the AF, USA, and Navy wore them. A couple books and an MP3 player with video is always nice to pass the time or wind down after a long day. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some p-cord.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

^550 cord?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
^550 cord?
Yup. Nobody should ever deploy without it!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i am out at a jcob and have been for the last 9 months so we only go to the fob like once every two or three weeks, i have my wife mail me most of the stuff i need, i used chap stick alot and lotion because i have dry skin, you don't need laundry stuff becuase as far as i know every fob and camp has a laundry service, and depending of what you are doing you may not have time to be doing your laundry, we roll out every day plus do target mission at night alot so we don't get alot of time off they only days off we get is when we go back to the fob for maint on the trucks. One thing that i have needed but did not have was boot laces and i can't find them at any of the pxs oh and if you shave your head bring some clippers becuase the line at the barber shops are long as hell, but other than that i think every one else covered it. good luck, i know i am ready to get back to the states, i am sick of this damn country
Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I'll probably be shaving my head just so I won't have to deal with it.
I'm compiling a list to give to family so they can mail me this stuff. I didn't even think to bring a good bit of the stuff that has been listed.

I've got a bottle of Aloe for a sunburn that I had last summer. Sadly I lost the Aloe shortly after buying it so never got to use it. Luckily I found it whilst cleaning my room recently haha.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

ya boot laces are a good idea and 550 cord (especially to tie onto the mags)
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

almost forgot one important thing a headlamp, it is usally dark as **** at night like when you are going to the latrine it is good to have a headlamp so you are not falling on you face every night.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
ya boot laces are a good idea and 550 cord (especially to tie onto the mags)
But if you're very resourceful, p-cord = boot laces.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

**** the other night we were doing an air assault mission and as i was getting ready to walk to the air field my left boot lace broke then once i was on the chopper my other one broke, the sucked major ***, had to clear the whole damn village with my boots falling off my feet.

Quick Reply: While we're discussing deployments...