Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Hit and run on base, who should I contact?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hit and run on base, who should I contact?

So i immediately noticed someone hit my bumper this morning. I snapped quite a few pics of the damage. I was parked in the corner of the parking lot, so i'm guessing some dumbass airman was speeding around the corner and nailed it.

I really need some guidance though, since i'm a dumb airman too. Should I go to security forces; I was thinking, telling the shirt on monday would be the best way to go.

Should I wait till monday, and should the base pay for this since it occurred at the base dorms?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Security Forces ASAP... I'd probably take a drive through the dorms and see if any cars have any fresh damage done. I've had a few friends with the same problem.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the SP, your supervisor, your shirt and your insurance.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i told my supervisor already, he don't know so its off to the shirt monday...unless i should call the sps right away....i dont really like those guys
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Call the SFS staff. I know that security on that base is Airforce and Navy. Have them do a case on Damage to Personnel property/hit n run. How bad is the damage? There is a MA2 Smith that base that is a good friend of mine He knows his ****.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Trunion King

Get the SPs involve, you'll need a police report anyway if you want to fix that damage through your insurance or the other guy's insurance.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Get the SP's on it like yesterday. At least then you have a report at the VERY least
Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Was there any camera's in the area? Alot of them here in San Diego. The SP is a good idea regardless if you like them too. I'd walk the parking lot looking for a car with a bumper with my fresh paint on it.

CWO

Last edited by Fred99Z28; 03-22-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 03-23-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fred99Z28
Was there any camera's in the area? Alot of them here in San Diego. The SP is a good idea regardless if you like them too. I'd walk the parking lot looking for a car with a bumper with my fresh paint on it.

There are cameras in the area but i dont think they point towards my car at the time. I was gonna walk around, it's a light color so i may still do that. There are other dorms on the other side of the base. It could be a lot of different cars.

CWO
Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
Call the SFS staff. I know that security on that base is Airforce and Navy. Have them do a case on Damage to Personnel property/hit n run. How bad is the damage? There is a MA2 Smith that base that is a good friend of mine He knows his ****.
The damage isn't too bad at all, chipped off some of the paint, slight crack in the bumper and some decent size scuffs that could probably buff out.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

The MPs or whatever you call them should have been the first people you should have called.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
The MPs or whatever you call them should have been the first people you should have called.
Yep!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

airman or wifes of other members. there was a korean wife at gfafb that hit like 15 cars in two months and would go park across the lot and not say anything until finally someone caught her hitting their vehichle. come to find out she had been caught for the same type of stuff before as well.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have definitely called SECURITY FORCES the second u saw the damage. its gonna be pretty tough for them to do anything especially if it was a few days ago.

all we are gonna do is maybe take some pics, and get a statement from you, and see if there are any witnesses. it will probably end up going to an investigations section.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i really don't see why it would make a difference. I can say i just noticed the damage today. besides it was easter sunday...no one was in the security forces building...and i'm not calling 911 to report a hit and run
Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jester177
airman or wifes of other members. there was a korean wife at gfafb that hit like 15 cars in two months and would go park across the lot and not say anything until finally someone caught her hitting their vehichle. come to find out she had been caught for the same type of stuff before as well.
wow thats fucked up
Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update:

Looks like our dorm's cameras reach the parking lot!!! Hopefully we get a description on the car and maybe they live in the dorm or somewhere on the base. I hope the cameras see at night. Probably when this occurred.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
i really don't see why it would make a difference. I can say i just noticed the damage today. besides it was easter sunday...no one was in the security forces building...and i'm not calling 911 to report a hit and run
1- Call the Security Forces LE desk IMMEDIATELY when you notice damage to your car, and get a copy of the report.
2- Notify your supervisor, he/she should tell you to go to the Legal office to report it and file a claim.
3- The legal office will file your claim and most times if damage to your car was done on base and is documented (police report) they will pay to repair the damage.
4- Meanwhile the cops will investigate the collision, and charge the guilty party with leaving the scene of an accident.

If you havent called the cops yet, you should do it now and tell them you just noticed the damage. Then tell them you see security cameras in the parking lot. Don't try to investigate this yourself, let the cops do their job. The cops won't care about damage to your car if they've been called because you found out who did it and started beating on them. Just follow the steps above and get it paid for and fixed, leave your ins. company out of it.

Last edited by Snootch; 03-24-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Best bet is be upfront with the SP/MP . Remember it is your integrity on the line. You can be honest and have your integrity or dishonest and falsify a military report.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snootch
1- Call the Security Forces LE desk IMMEDIATELY when you notice damage to your car, and get a copy of the report.
2- Notify your supervisor, he/she should tell you to go to the Legal office to report it and file a claim.
3- The legal office will file your claim and most times if damage to your car was done on base and is documented (police report) they will pay to repair the damage.
4- Meanwhile the cops will investigate the collision, and charge the guilty party with leaving the scene of an accident.

If you havent called the cops yet, you should do it now and tell them you just noticed the damage. Then tell them you see security cameras in the parking lot. Don't try to investigate this yourself, let the cops do their job. The cops won't care about damage to your car if they've been called because you found out who did it and started beating on them. Just follow the steps above and get it paid for and fixed, leave your ins. company out of it.
I already told the cops about this. I told them about the cameras already and they didn't even care. They said they don't own those cameras. I was like wtf...so I did that part myself. I'm not gonna start beating on someone either, wtf is with you guys?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Damn Airman!!!

Quick Reply: Hit and run on base, who should I contact?