No pay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No pay?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080506...raqafghanistan

Tue May 6, 1:43 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The Pentagon warned Tuesday the US Army will not be able to pay its soldiers beyond June 15 unless Congress acts soon on a stalled request from the administration for war funding.

It was the latest salvo in a long-running impasse between the Democratic-controlled Congress and the administration over a 108-billion dollar request to fund US military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan in the 2008 fiscal year.

The pay crunch would be eased if Congress authorized funds to be moved from other accounts to pay soldiers, but the Pentagon is pressing for approval of the full budget request.

"We run out of money in order to pay soldiers after June 15 unless the Congress acts to pass the supplemental or provide us with the reprogramming authorities to move money within accounts," said Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell.

"We do not have the authorities right now to pay soldiers beyond June the 15," he told reporters.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates last week sent a letter to members of Congress saying he was encouraged to hear they planned to act on the 2008 war funding bill by the Memorial Day holiday on May 26.

Morrell said congressional staffers were briefed on the budget situation earlier Tuesday.

"I know we have raised concerns about this issue before, but we are once again getting down to crunch time," he said.

"And unless Congress appropriates the 108 billion dollars in the next few weeks, most of our troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan could go without pay, and the critical progress they have achieved will be in jeopardy."
Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I heard about this on the news. Makes me pretty sick to my stomach. They are using us as a political tool. Congress knows that the president will have to make comprimises in order to get a budget passed so we can get paid. It doesn't sit very well with me. I'd imagine that means reenlistment bonuses will be suspended again. My unit lost alot of good NCOs that were on the fence when they pulled that crap earlier this year.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Launching!

the critical progress they have achieved will be in jeopardy
+1 on that
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Something to think about to, is if there's no pay, and a soldier is killed, will he/she be covered under SGLI?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You all realize that something similar to this happens almost every year. The budget for the military is always a touchy subject and usually comes down to a showdown of some sort. Everyone will still get paid and the SGLI will also if a soldier is killed.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

it had better because if a paycheck doesnt show in my account when its supposed to because of this I'd sit on my *** doing nothing since I'm getting paid nothing
Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1gen
it had better because if a paycheck doesnt show in my account when its supposed to because of this I'd sit on my *** doing nothing since I'm getting paid nothing
In the 20+ years I have been in a paycheck has never been late or not shown up except for the first 6 months I was active duty because some *** didn't do his job and put me in the active army. I was a reservists for a VERY short time and when I went active the pay didn't get started. Since that got fixed I have never had a paycheck that was late or inaccurate. You'll get your pay.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah I know, had a hard day yesterday you know how it is, the pay usually doesnt come if some idiot messes up the pay not because the money's not there

Quick Reply: No pay?