Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Where can I find a job list?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where can I find a job list?

I was wondering where can I find a list of jobs as active duty in the air force describing each one and the length of tech school, asvab requirements, etc.? Do they make such a list?
Also, Im really wanting to do something in healthcare. I was thinking maybe surgical physicians assistant, or er meds. Is there anything close to a tech school or any kind of training along those lines?
Thanks for any help, you guys always give me all sorts of great info and have helped me alot so far!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Teching In

here ya go try this.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...s/a/afjobs.htm
Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a former active duty recruiter and currently on recruiting duty (two separate things), my advice to you, is to not look at any list of jobs. This being based on the notion that if you see a job you like, you MIGHT NOT be qualified for it. Disqualifications are numerous for our (military) jobs and could range from color-blindness to hearing issues and much more. The recruiters should not promise you a job because they don't have direct access (normally) to the list of open jobs and again can't give you a physical to tell you if you qualify. The classifier at MEPS is the person that does this job. Good luck (I retire in 29 days).
Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
I was wondering where can I find a list of jobs as active duty in the air force describing each one and the length of tech school, asvab requirements, etc.? Do they make such a list?
Also, Im really wanting to do something in healthcare. I was thinking maybe surgical physicians assistant, or er meds. Is there anything close to a tech school or any kind of training along those lines?
Thanks for any help, you guys always give me all sorts of great info and have helped me alot so far!
4N031- USAF Med Tech EMT-B
4N131 - Surgical Tech

Any AFSC that Starts with a 4 is medical, there are 15 total.

Jack
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

4X is medical
4Y is dental
Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Launching!

slowmc, thanks! That was a great link. Tons of info. I have another question. Say for instance you become a dr in the military, do you still get normal military pay? Im just curious as to what your incentive might be seeing you could make alot more money as a civilian im assuming?
My recruiter told me that once your out of tech school if you live on base you get your own room, kitchen, bath, etc. I read on that site that you have your own room but share the rest w/ 4 other people? Does it just depend on where you are? Is it hard to get a housing allowance? I am single right now.
Also, I have been starting to run alot lately and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as far as cramping up! I have been working out heavy for over 5 years now, I just never did much cardio. I drink alot of water, almost 2 gallons/day and just sip it when im running but I still cramp up. Thanks again
Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Well if your a doctor in the military you are an officer. And officers make quite a bit more money than enlisted. But a far as special duty Im pretty sure they get a extra monthly.

Once you get out of tech school you will live on base in the dorms. The dorms are pretty decent from what I have ever seen. You will most likely have a "suite-mate" that you share a bathroom with. But you will have your own room with your bed, sink, and refrigerator/microwave. And as far a a kitchen, You will prolly have a day-room or two on each floor of the dorms. They usually have a big TV with cable and pool table of something. Ive never seen a dorm with a kitchen. But Ive heard some of the nicer bases with new dorms have one that you share with 3 other people. So that all just depends on where you get stationed.

Plan on living in the dorms til your an E-4, unless you get married or the dorms are all full and you get lucky to be one of the people that get to live off base(hardly ever happens). So for about 2 1/2 years you will live on base in the dorms. Then once you make E-4 you will get to move off base and give you single rate Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). Which will be enough to get an apartment by yourself or you can get a roomate and just put the rest of your BAH in your pocket.

As far cramping up. If its in your legs trying eating bananas. The potassium always helped my legs. And also stretch. If its your stomach then make sure you are hydrated and once your body gets used to the running and cardio, it should go away.

If you have any other questions I am happy to help. PM me or whatever.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Launching!

So while living on dorms your still under strict rools and such? I was reading another thread, and they said something about no girl visitors, limit on alcohol amounts, and curfews? What if you have a girlfriend but soon to be wife? She cant stay w/ u? I guess what im asking is you cant really live a normal live untill you live off base? And even then, how is that like? I have been really mislead by my recruiter if that is the case. I was to told that since of my associates degree I will start out e3. What does it take to become e4?

I am trying to get my master in something like a physicans assistant or similar. If I choose a job like this http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob4n1x1.htm would this help me at all? Will I have time to go to school while working this as my job? How long are the work days in the military? Depend on job?

I just want to make the most of the time im in. Is there a program where I can my daily work can count towards a specific degree? And if i do start school are what if end up getting moved in the middle of a semester? How does that work?

Sorry, im just really confused on what to do.
Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its not like that, you can have visitors, male or female, I ran through tons of girls in my barracks room . We never had an alcohol limit and no curfew. When I was 19 I had a barracks room but used to stay at this girls house off post every night because I hated living in the barracks. I was in the army.

To make E4 all you haver to do is stick around for about 2 years and you can pick it up sooner if you stand out in a good way.

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
So while living on dorms your still under strict rools and such? I was reading another thread, and they said something about no girl visitors, limit on alcohol amounts, and curfews? What if you have a girlfriend but soon to be wife? She cant stay w/ u? I guess what im asking is you cant really live a normal live untill you live off base? And even then, how is that like? I have been really mislead by my recruiter if that is the case. I was to told that since of my associates degree I will start out e3. What does it take to become e4?

I am trying to get my master in something like a physicans assistant or similar. If I choose a job like this http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob4n1x1.htm would this help me at all? Will I have time to go to school while working this as my job? How long are the work days in the military? Depend on job?

I just want to make the most of the time im in. Is there a program where I can my daily work can count towards a specific degree? And if i do start school are what if end up getting moved in the middle of a semester? How does that work?

Sorry, im just really confused on what to do.
Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

1 Tango.

Do it.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Teching In

For the 3-4 months your in tech school you wont be able to have any girls or alcohol. But once you get done with that, anything goes really at your dorm room.

E-3 to E-4 is over 2 years. About 2 years 4 months.

With that job, it seems like it will be like 9-5. Except when your deployed. So that should give you alot of time to go to school and get your education.

And here is another thing once you get in to look at. It lets you go to school full time while doing ROTC and getting paid E-5 pay. Getting paid and going to school, cant beat that. And since you already have your associates you would be a really good canidate.
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/airforcetrng/a/aecp.htm
Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

And with getting moved during a semester. With most deployments and PCSing in the Air Force you know at least 4-6 months prior. But thats not the case everytime but I would say a short notice deployment wont happen 95% of the time.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Launching!

What does an rotc course consist of? I guess you have to attend a school that offers it? Is sounds too good to be true! What are the down sides of the AECP? Is it hard to get accepted? This sounds very familiar to the sta-21 the navy recuiter told me about. Will I be reserve for a determinid amount of time after you earn your degree?
How does that work w/ me wanting a masters, they only allow 3 years? I am 24 right now and I read something about an age cutoff but didn't specify what that age was?
Thanks again slow mc
Also, will you most likely have a roommate the whole time you are in the dorm?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Teching In

In the dorms during tech school you will prolly have one. But once you go to your first base you will not have one.

You have to be under 30 by the time you go for the board and able to commission before 35. So that wouldnt be a problem at all for you. While you are doing AECP you are still active duty. And still get active pay. And say you come in as an E-3 if you get accepted you will be getting E-5 pay (cant beat that). It really does sound too good to be true when I first read about it. I guess the only catch is there are certain majors if you look at that list. And You go to school during the summer semester. You just have to go to a school that offers AF ROTC. And I personally dont think it would be too hard for you since you already have your associates and that looks REAL good! With the masters they will probably only let you get your bachelors and then send you to Officer Training School (OTS). Then once you get done with that and back to regualr duty you will be able to continue school.

ROTC is really just a class during college. You go in and learn about that military and what-not. maybe someone can tell you a little more about ROTC since I never been there.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Launching!

So say I was to get accepted into aecp. How long untill you can get into the program? Right out of basic? Im sure you don't get to pick which school either do you? So if all went well and I attain a bachelors degree what do you do the remaining of your enlistment? Thats assuming I didn't re-enlist. And also, since your staying at a school will you recieve a bah?
Thank you
Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Teching In

You would be able to do it once you get done with tech school. So with that job you want and after basic. Once you get to your first duty station...so approximately 6 months from when you join. You get to pick the school you go to also. And once you get your bachelors you go to Officer Training School and become and officer, you are no longer elisted. So then you would finish out your term 4-6 years and then either re-up or get out. And while you are at school you will get BAH at the E-5 rate.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Launching!

so what if you get your bachelors, then go to ots, and you still have time left in your term? Just out of curiousity, why would they try and make you an officer if there is a possibilty that you may get out? Whats in it for them? Do you have to be reserve or guard when its all over?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Well its just a special program, not everybody can do it. Once you comission you will have to sign up for 4-6 years. And once you are done with 4-6 you can get out and go on with your life. And no you do not have to continue to be in guard or reserve.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Sorry, what do you mean once I comission? Enlist? So would it really matter what I went to tech school for since im going to try for the aecp anyway? I mean i want to go into surgical tech anyways im just wondering if there is a tech school you take for the aecp program? What are the chances of me getting into this anyway?
Also, you said I will be making e5 pay, will that be e5 bah also!
When during this path would I find out if I qualify for this also?
Thank you so much for the help. I hope this is attainable cuz im damn excited!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Teching In

When you "enlist" you are enlisted. That is where the "E" with rank comes in. (ex: E-3). Then you apply for AECP and go to college and the go to OTS. Then you "commission" and you become and officer as an O-1. You are now longer enlisted. The difference between the two is officers make more money then enlisted. Officers have to have a bachelors. Officers are more of a leader and usually run ****. Where enlisted are the workhorses. Officers have to put up with more **** tho. When someone in their shop ***** up, they get the beating usually.

Yes you will get E-5 BAH also.

And so far what you have said, you are qualified for it. You just have to put in a package for it to make sure you are a good airman and then they make a decision whether they think you will make a good officer.

I would still pick enlisted job you want b/c there is a possibility you could not get AECP. There isnt a Tech school for AECP. AECP is just a program that they offer to get ppl who want to commission. You would be able to apply for it once you have been to your permanent duty station for 1 year.

Also I see that you are from St. Peters. I was from Lebanon, MO and I am station in VA right now. And I know MIZZOU has Air Force ROTC and it meets the requirements of AECP so you could go there if accepted for AECP.

Quick Reply: Where can I find a job list?