Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Jeep Cherokee putting up a Cash for clunkers fight!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jeep Cherokee putting up a Cash for clunkers fight!

http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/2009...harsh-reality/
Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Launching!

damn little thing took a while..
Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if that is a 4.0 I-6 i know why it took forever haha You could almost run them outta oil and they won't break
Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cole Train
if that is a 4.0 I-6 i know why it took forever haha You could almost run them outta oil and they won't break
lol my buddy ran his 95 cherokee through a river up to the windows.. towed it out and drove it home with more water than oil in the motor
Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Mandatory engine blowing? Who the **** thought of that idea and what morons passed the idea into effect?

Dumbasses!!! Why blow a perfectly good motor, what do they do with the rest of the car, just crush it? Goddamn in this day and age the gov't should be taking these "clunkers" and be parting them out back to the public or ******* auction them off.

I honestly don't get this who CFC ****, maybe I'm just coming off as the dumbass here?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust
Mandatory engine blowing? Who the **** thought of that idea and what morons passed the idea into effect?

Dumbasses!!! Why blow a perfectly good motor, what do they do with the rest of the car, just crush it? Goddamn in this day and age the gov't should be taking these "clunkers" and be parting them out back to the public or ******* auction them off.

I honestly don't get this who CFC ****, maybe I'm just coming off as the dumbass here?
Well I don't exactly agree with it totally either but the whole idea is to get rid of less efficient viable running cars and replace them with newer more efficient models and stimulate the automotive industry. Our program is almost a carbon copy of Germany's, which has been considered successful for the most part.

The whole point is to remove the car from circulation. They DON'T want it back on the road.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Abso-******-lutely retarded. i have an idea let's blow it up instead of giving it to someone who needs it, who will in turn have transportation to work, who will then earn money and spend it, thus stimulating the economy. Or sell it them selves and get money, and spend it....thus...can we guess class? yes! stimulating the economy! yay!
And if the car is that crappy then more than likely they'll go buy a new damn car anyway when they can afford it... now we're down to destroying things in order to hopefully force people to one day purchase a vehicle of a 'government and/or automotive company's preference'. Gettin' people comin' and goin'.... what's new.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
Abso-******-lutely retarded. i have an idea let's blow it up instead of giving it to someone who needs it, who will in turn have transportation to work, who will then earn money and spend it, thus stimulating the economy. Or sell it them selves and get money, and spend it....thus...can we guess class? yes! stimulating the economy! yay!
And if the car is that crappy then more than likely they'll go buy a new damn car anyway when they can afford it... now we're down to destroying things in order to hopefully force people to one day purchase a vehicle of a 'government and/or automotive company's preference'. Gettin' people comin' and goin'.... what's new.
Hell I was going to trade in my truck to Dodge and get something with that 9k they were offering then turn around and flip the sucker. Fortunately for the rest of the tax paying America they thought of this and make it impossible.

The problem with cars is the last 50 years or so there hasn't been leaps and bounds technologically to make older ones obsolete. The same crap keeps getting pumped into our hands.

Planned obsolesce has it's merits in other fields though. Take for instance my job in IT professional services. If somebody calls in with a problem with some software and they happen to run win98.....well, I might look at it and see if I can fix it with some mouse clicks. If not I tell the client it's time to get a new one because we DON'T support win98 or winme or os9 or whatever anymore. I've had people get huffy and puffy about it because they need to get a new something and then once they got the new machines they can't imagine how the ever did without them and consider them well worth the money.

Not to step on your toes but how many people you know that don't have a car? The ones I know don't have em because they are lazy and don't work.

Stimulating the economy with used cars when they have ALREADY thrown how many billions into new ones?

Don't make it seem like they are FORCING us to trade our clunkers in because they aren't. They are just making new cars a little more reachable. And they don't want less efficient cars out there.

Lastly, I can guarantee this billion (chump change compared to rest) has been the absolutely most stimulating stimulus the government has done bar none. I mean c'mon the billion was spent in a WEEK. ONE WEEK. How much do you think got "misplaced" in company executives hands?? Not much.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dumbest **** ever.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are the criteria again for CFC?

I think we need a poll thread to see how many of us own "clunkers".

That says a lot for Jeep though, lol.

I can't help to get into the argument, I don't like this CFC idea simply because as a whole, we're ******* stupid.

If you own a paid off car that gets you from A to B and you don't give two ***** about what it is and it gets 15mpg, you're golden.

For some dumb *** reason, we believe its better to buy a sub $20,000 car to do the same ****, just to save $5 every time you fill up. Yes it adds up, but most likely not to what you just paid for the average amount of time we own our cars.

I'm sure someone can throw out some real numbers for us, but I think you get the picture.

Whats going to happen to used car dealerships?

I for one, don't care about gas mileage, I DD 50ish miles a day, but I don't mind gas one bit, because I love my car and its paid off.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EDIT: double post. delete
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

do they really blow up every engine like that? I thought they just scrapped the clunkers? thats retarded if they do and it looks like its great for the enviroment and possibly dangerous for by standers. what a waste of a nice looking vehicle thats for sure!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find it ironic that this program is supposed to help to reduce green house gasses but it looks like the jeep in this video was........ letting off a TON of green house gasses for a good few mins there. lol gotta love it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Noxious
Hell I was going to trade in my truck to Dodge and get something with that 9k they were offering then turn around and flip the sucker. Fortunately for the rest of the tax paying America they thought of this and make it impossible.

The problem with cars is the last 50 years or so there hasn't been leaps and bounds technologically to make older ones obsolete. The same crap keeps getting pumped into our hands.

Planned obsolesce has it's merits in other fields though. Take for instance my job in IT professional services. If somebody calls in with a problem with some software and they happen to run win98.....well, I might look at it and see if I can fix it with some mouse clicks. If not I tell the client it's time to get a new one because we DON'T support win98 or winme or os9 or whatever anymore. I've had people get huffy and puffy about it because they need to get a new something and then once they got the new machines they can't imagine how the ever did without them and consider them well worth the money.

Not to step on your toes but how many people you know that don't have a car? The ones I know don't have em because they are lazy and don't work.

Stimulating the economy with used cars when they have ALREADY thrown how many billions into new ones?

Don't make it seem like they are FORCING us to trade our clunkers in because they aren't. They are just making new cars a little more reachable. And they don't want less efficient cars out there.

Lastly, I can guarantee this billion (chump change compared to rest) has been the absolutely most stimulating stimulus the government has done bar none. I mean c'mon the billion was spent in a WEEK. ONE WEEK. How much do you think got "misplaced" in company executives hands?? Not much.
I hear what you're saying...but not everyone is fortunate enough to own a vehicle, they don't have to be lazy stoners etc. that leech off parents or relatives or friends to not own a vehicle. My friend has 2 kids and lost his job and had to sell what he had to buy food clothing etc. for the kids and up until a few days ago had no transportation to well, anywhere when someone donated a 3-banger Geo metro to him, since then he's been out every day trying to find a job and support his girlfriend and children.

If my memory is right that's at the earliest a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee.....Gee....very obsolete damn thing looks brand new and probably had another 10 years in it. Does that mean people should trade in their classic cars because they're all 'obsolete clunkers' that don't meet new retarded standards of tree huggers and bean counters? And whomever else wants to sign their name to pretend they're at the fore-front of automotive progression.

When someone tells me i HAVE to do one thing to do another, when in reality it's not even remotely required to do step 1 in the first place....that's called forcing. Or rather....persuasive herding if you will...I'm a human being, not a 'sheeple' that has to be guided - forcefully or not - through someone elses ideals.

I'm not being hard headed or ignorant to the concept, i just hate to see things needlessly wasted because of the wants and wills of others that already sit high enough on the hog to not be effected by the decisions they make.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it was just going to be sent to the crusher anyways. for all we could know the transmission could have been about to fall out.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

If they're just going to ruin it then I'll take it...
No one has to know...
Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

**** our goverment. ......this is sad..
Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well what i don't get is along with running the engine until it blows which pollutes they then crush the drivetrain and do what with the rest? It seems recycling the whole thing would be better on the environment then what they are doing, no? It seems that there are probably PLENTY of people out there that aren't gonna throw away their nice Grand Cherokee and when something breaks would rather get used then new right. Well then parting them out make more sense. The government isn't forcing people to buy new then why not cater to the people that would rather keep theirs and recycle the parts. They are accomplishing more that way. They get the "clunker" off the road, don't pollute the air to blow up the engine, don't pollute the ground with what's left over of the car after the blow up, and people can save big money going with used parts. Many things could be solved by just parting them out. Jobs created to part them out, sell the parts and people saving money on new cars and for the people buying used parts. Makes sense to me....

P.S. i bet my Vette and my '03 Silverado would qualify as a Clunker. Obama and all that voted for this bill can go **** themselves, what a bunch of idiots

Last edited by Cole Train; 07-31-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

well what i don't get is along with running the engine until it blows which pollutes they then crush the drivetrain and do what with the rest? It seems recycling the whole thing would be better on the environment then what they are doing, no? It seems that there are probably PLENTY of people out there that aren't gonna throw away their nice Grand Cherokee and when something breaks would rather get used then new right. Well then parting them out make more sense. The government isn't forcing people to buy new then why not cater to the people that would rather keep theirs and recycle the parts. They are accomplishing more that way. They get the "clunker" off the road, don't pollute the air to blow up the engine, don't pollute the ground with what's left over of the car after the blow up, and people can save big money going with used parts. Many things could be solved by just parting them out. Jobs created to part them out, sell the parts and people saving money on new cars and for the people buying used parts. Makes sense to me....

P.S. i bet my Vette and my '03 Silverado would qualify as a Clunker. Obama and all that voted for this bill can go **** themselves, what a bunch of idiots
Your vette prolly wont qualify, high way miles on an ls1 6 speed are pretty damn good.

I wish my beater qualified...there's no way in hell it's worth 4500 bucks and would love a little 4 banger to drive back and forth to work with.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Many things could be solved by just parting them out. Jobs created to part them out, sell the parts and people saving money on new cars and for the people buying used parts. Makes sense to me....
The median age of all cars in 1969 was 5.1 years.

In 1991 it was 6.5 years.

In 2005 it was 9 years. It's estimated at 9.5+ now. That means probably half the cars on the road are 10+ years old if you combine trucks into that.

See the problem???? Combine expensive cars and not much technical advancement and you get stagnation.

And when you've already bailed out the automotive industry the LAST thing you want to do is keep used cars on the road.

So they are killing two birds with one stone. Giving us an incentive to be more fuel efficient and get a new car and eliminating the competition (used cars)

There will be FAR more jobs created for new things instead of scrapping things. I've seen GIANT scrapyards run with less than 5 people.

Quick Reply: Jeep Cherokee putting up a Cash for clunkers fight!