Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

I knew it would happen...just didnt know when

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I knew it would happen...just didnt know when

...well today is that day.

At about 1:40 this afternoon I was cruising down to a hardware store at about 40 mph wearing jeans, textile jacket, gloves, and my 2 week old Shoei helmet. I was in the left lane of a 4 lane road heading northbound, glanced at my mirrors and speed, looked back up and 20 ft in front of me is a blazer stopped waiting to turn left. First instinct was to hit the brakes, I did, front and rear, locked them up and BOOM, nailed the back of the blazer. Ejected me about 100 ft and landed in the right lane. Looked up to see traffic coming at me, got up and got out of the way before I got hit. Realized my left shoe was still in the lane, grabbed it and put it on. Went to check on the other driver, he was fine. Amazingly I didnt feel any pain so I went to check on the bike to find this....

Luckily the scrape was on my right forearm, had some scratches on my left leg on the side, my right hip hit the pavement so it hurts, helmet was left un touched, jacket was torn where I got the scrape on my arm. Bike is f*cked. I have full coverage thru Progressive, I'm betting they will total it but I have no idea.

I've been riding for 3 years and this is the first time I have ever wrecked a bike. Ive had the R1 for about 3 months. Hopefully my insurance wont go up too much because I'd like to get another one. Luckily I'm ok and so was the other driver, I also didnt get any moving violations even though it was my fault.

Josh
Old 05-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well the bike can be replaced, you can't. Glad your ok!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Wow, the damage on the bike looks brutal compared to your one scratch, very fortunate for you, glad you walked away.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Launching!

really glad you didnt die, 8 more to go.
sorry about your bike, she was sweet to say the least.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Good to see you made it out alright. Sucks when you hear about bike accidents, because not many come out with a good ending.
-Joel
Old 05-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Sorry to hear about your bike, but your health/life is the only part that matters
Old 05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

yeah that's totalled. congrats on surviving. i went 14K miles on my R6 in 2 summers and survived, so i sold it

you need to buy a new radiator and build a go-kart
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the whole font end is shot, imagine the fork is bent and the frame looks to be dented, they'll total it. Just glad your ok, same thing happened to a guy I know a while back but an oncoming z71 ran him over .
Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Umm wow soooo lucky that could of been a lot worse. What kept you from smacking into the blazer also.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Teching In

wow, iam glad to see you walked away superman, it shows how important protective gear is. Also this stuff is an eye opener b/c iam looking to get a CBR600 this summer, **** can happen
Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Umm wow soooo lucky that could of been a lot worse. What kept you from smacking into the blazer also.
I'm still trying to figure that out too...I think when I hit the brakes I skided sideways just enough to hit the right side of the blazers bumper. The kid in the passenger seat said I flew threw the air right by his window...so it was close...I'm glad I didnt go through the back window...that would have sucked.

It's still a blur to me so I cant remember all the details...it all happened so fast but it was in slow motion while it was happeneing...really weird how that happens.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Man, I'm so glad you're ok.
You really need to be thanking your angel.
O, hope you bought a lotto ticket
Don't let it scare you out of another bike though.
Keep on enjoying life man, just makes sure you enjoy every moment

Last edited by Black C5 Z06; 05-27-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

DUDE your a lucky take that as a blessing I would not get another bike just put that money toward YOUR MOTOR. Same thing happen to a buddy of mine that owned a gym and he did not live to make it and left beheind two kids and a wife and she had to sell the gym sucks too the guy was an awsome guy. RIP MY BUDDY RICK IN KC
Old 05-27-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Yeh if you didnt get sideways first and smacked the back end of the blazer who knows what would of happened. I think you got very luck and should maybe think twice about getting another bike.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been riding for 3 years and this is the first that I have EVER laid a bike down. I am a very responsible rider...I dont stunt or race, I ride just for the pleasure of riding. I will be getting a new bike just for that reason...it's a hobby that I love. It didnt scare me from riding again...as I said in the title...I knew it would happened some time.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joshp14
as I said in the title...I knew it would happened some time.
that sounds like a subconscience thing you kept telling yourself ..."today is the day that im going to rear end a truck"... sounds silly man

on a positive note, im glad your ok
Old 05-27-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

DAMN....thats a nasty get off!! Glad your ok though. Yup, it happens eventually. I had a little one a few months ago. Been riding about three years too. Still love to ride though. **** happens....All you can do is play the game as safe as possible and hope for the best. Good luck and getting another ride, its totaled for sure so Im sure it wont be a problem.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boondiggys
that sounds like a subconscience thing you kept telling yourself ..."today is the day that im going to rear end a truck"... sounds silly man

on a positive note, im glad your ok
obviously i didnt know it was going to happen today, but most riders say you will get in an accident sometime if you ride on a regular basis....and i do..i was hoping it would never happen to me, but i see that quote so often on the bike forums that it almost convinces you that it will happen sometime no matter how careful you are.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

seems like it always happen when you get the "new" bike.

same thing happened to me accident free for 3 years, then 6 1/2 weeks after I get my new hayabusa I lay it down in a corner doing 35mph.

glad to hear it didn't scare you off
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Id say your gaurdian angel was keeping up with you today..........lord knows what would have happend to you if you would have gone through the window..............I was at a gas station one time and i heard a crash and turned around.......This guy riding his bike prolly goin about 40 or 50 had smashed in to the back of this guys mini van.........We all ran towards the guy who was halfway in and halfway out of the window...........He removed himself from the window and sat down on the street........He wasnt wearing a jacket and he was bleeding pretty bad from a few places. The ambulance came and took him away like it was no big deal and the rest of the people involved were ok..........Come to find out a few days later the guy died from internal injurys..........Kinda freaked me out because he seemed fine for just being in an accident(as good as someone would be that just wrecked), i mean as far as talking and acting.

So yeah...............Just be glad nothing like that happend to you.