Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old camaro

a kid at school drove up one day in a 72 Camaro Z28 and had a for sale sign on it, i went and talked to him right away and am gonna get it for 2500!!! This thing is in great condtion!!! the ony thing i need is a paint job and new stripes, but the rest of it is excellent condition!! so i will soon have a 2002 Camaro Z28 and 1972 Camaro Z28, not a bad collection for a 17 year old, i have worked my a** off for these cars and will be proud to be a continuing chevy owner!
Old 09-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: old camaro

That's a good year. I've always wanted one . . . a second gen is the only one I haven't owned.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my favorite tears.
good luck
Old 09-19-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For $2500, I doubt if it is a real Z28.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

For $2500, I doubt if it is a real Z28.
Like you know anything about old Camaros. :p
Old 09-19-2003, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

right, cuz it is a real z28, its that cheap cuz it looks like crap right now and needs a lot of work... vin numbers match so there ya go... stop talking
Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The VIN # matches what? Are you saying this is an original #s matching car? The VIN # itself will not determine a Z28 on a 72 model. I thought it only needed paint and new stripes. There is no way a #s matching 1972 Z28 is going to sell for $2500. Take a look at my 72 and tell me I don't know about old Camaros, especially 72s. Crash is being a smart a$$. I know him.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

so i will soon have a 2002 Camaro Z28 and 1972 Camaro Z28, not a bad collection for a 17 year old, i have worked my a** off for these cars and will be proud to be a continuing chevy owner!
Unless your a child actor or child musician I doubt very highly you worked anything off to get a 2002 Z28. They are a little too pricey both price tag and insurance wise for a 17 year old to manage. I assume at 17 your still in High school so that usually means working part time instead of full time and usually for less then $10 an hour.

So be honest. Your parents helped you get the car. At least the 2002 anyway. Not sure about where you live but here in Illinois you can't have a title or a car loan until you are at least 18. So all the highschool kids have to have thier cars put in mom or dads name.

I pay a mortgage and put food on the table for three kids so I know what it TRULY means to work your a$$ off for things. I do it every day for food, mortgage, utilities, clothes and my car. I'm guessing you only have car expenses and probably a little help from mom and dad with that.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

im 18 and i have my own Z and i did work my *** off and theres nobody thats gonna tell my *** diff, i paid for all my bolt-ons cuz theres no way in hell that my parents are gonna invest in my death. so dont be **** torwards us youth that have the almighty Ls1, could be worse we could be the ******* kid in the next lane with the cobra
Old 09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u are all a bunch of ******* clowns for knocking this kid, he is proud of what he has done and how the **** do u know if he worked for these cars or not. I know a life savings can add up pretty fast over the years.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Is it a 2002? It's one thing for a 16-18 year old to say he has a 1993-97 Z28. You can buy some of the LT1's for under 5K now. So that might be believable that a kid could save up from a summer/part time job and earn all the money to buy it. But do not come here and tell me how a 17 year old worked his butt off for a 2002 that runs over $20,000 not to mention the insurance costs.

90% of 16-18 year olds can not afford a 2002 Z28 without help. The other 10% are rich, Britney Spears/Nsync (when they were that age anyway) or with better then normal jobs such as your uncle owns a business and hired you for 20 hours a week at $30 dollars an hour just because he can.

I got my car loan all on my own. No one is on my title (that I won't see for 4 years) but me. No one gave me money for a down payment and that includes Birthday money, graduation money. No one pays all or part of my insurance premiums. And no one allows me to live with them rent free so I can have only my car as a major living expense.

Can he say the same?

And having a 03 cobra is not worse, It's just as stupid for a parent to give a 400 RWHP car to a kid as it is a 300 RWHP. They just arn't ready for that kind of power with such limited driving experience. And how many kids with that car won't race it on the street endangering thier lives, my kids lives and MINE!

I'm not being ****. I'm being honest.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i respect what you say but the truth is i did what i could do to get my Ls1 and granted its not a '02 but its still a camaro
Old 09-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

u are all a bunch of ******* clowns for knocking this kid, he is proud of what he has done and how the **** do u know if he worked for these cars or not. I know a life savings can add up pretty fast over the years.
He is 17! and you can't work in most states at all until you are 15. So again if he's a child actor or musician then I concede the possibility. So in two years, his "life" savings will likely not buy him a 2002 Z28.

I agree a life savings can add up over time. In another 17 years when he's 34 he might have a lot of money saved up.

And the use of profanity is not needed here. I understand teens think it's cool to use the "F" word in every sentence but they try to run a clean forum here.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

i respect what you say but the truth is i did what i could do to get my Ls1 and granted its not a '02 but its still a camaro
It's a very nice camaro too. I have a 99 myself and I love it. I wanted a Trans Am when I was in HS but it just wasn't possible. Heck my mother was so protective she didn't even like me driving a 79 monte carlo because it had a V8 engine in it. But boy was that car slow. I beat it to death and it badly needed a tune up.

I respect you working for your car even if you didn't pay for it all or get help with insurance or whatever the case may be. At least then you have some respect for the car itself. The ones who have it handed to them on thier birthday with a ribbon around it scare the heck out of me.

Because they don't care if they wreck it. Insurance/mom-dad can buy them another one. Just be careful. A 300 hp camaro is a lot different then driving a 130 hp family sadan. It's awful tempting to watch TFATF and then go line up on the street and hit 100+ MPH. With more power comes more responsibility.

Good Luck to you and stay safe. Looks like you got a few nice mods sickfive so get that thing to the track if you haven't allready and post up some numbers.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Wow whats with the flame fest? I think instead of flaming the kid, we should give him props for having a positive constructive hobby. Unlike most kids these days. I don't think many of us know his story, so I saw cut the kid some slack.
Congrats on the 2nd gen Cowboy. You'll love it.
Oh and I have a 71 that I got when I was 14 and I got my 01 Z28 when I turned 21. I payed for the 01 myself. The 71 was a gift, but it didn't have wheels, paint(sand blasted) and half the engine. I did a lot of work with my Dad.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

ok:
1. i thak every1 who does believe me.
2. sure you cant work "legally" under 15, but i did mowin, car washing, dog walking, work for parents and such since i was TEN
3. right now since im still considered a full time student so insurance is no big thing and since i bought my own car my parents pay half of insurance
4. some1 who is 10 and doing odd jobs almost everyday IS working his *** off
5. i didn't put down 28k and buy the car straight out, i put down 7.5k that i earned to buy it and saved ther rest for other things for a "CD"
6. i DONT use the F bomb all the time thank you, not every1 kid uses it. That is just the typical stereotype of some jealous 30yr old who didnt take advantage of working while he was young
7. it IS a true 72 z28 so dont believe or believe that was sold that cheap, i also found out it need new timing set on it once i get a pic of it ill post it up, but for now as i have read many places, if the 5th digit is an "L" than it is a true z28 in 72
8. darren, you are right it HAS to be in my parents name, but when i turn 18 it comes all to me, i have a signed contract with my father on this
so again i thank those that defended me and the rest well, im sorry you all feel that way...
Old 09-19-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

wurd, i need to hit the track
Old 09-19-2003, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

That's cool that you worked and saved to meet your goal. Mad props to you Cowboy!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

ok:
1. i thak every1 who does believe me.
2. sure you cant work "legally" under 15, but i did mowin, car washing, dog walking, work for parents and such since i was TEN
3. right now since im still considered a full time student so insurance is no big thing and since i bought my own car my parents pay half of insurance
4. some1 who is 10 and doing odd jobs almost everyday IS working his *** off
5. i didn't put down 28k and buy the car straight out, i put down 7.5k that i earned to buy it and saved ther rest for other things for a "CD"
6. i DONT use the F bomb all the time thank you, not every1 kid uses it. That is just the typical stereotype of some jealous 30yr old who didnt take advantage of working while he was young
7. it IS a true 72 z28 so dont believe or believe that was sold that cheap, i also found out it need new timing set on it once i get a pic of it ill post it up, but for now as i have read many places, if the 5th digit is an "L" than it is a true z28 in 72
8. darren, you are right it HAS to be in my parents name, but when i turn 18 it comes all to me, i have a signed contract with my father on this
so again i thank those that defended me and the rest well, im sorry you all feel that way...
First off I was not referring to you on the profanity and if you look at all the posts in this thread it'll be obvious who I was referring to.

Second, $7500 is a lot of lawns mowed and cars washed but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt. You said it was 28K so that means you financed about 21K. That makes a car payment of approximately $425 a month (depending on interest rate). Then for a 17 year old to insure the car it could easily be $500 a month but we'll assume good student discount and say $300 a month that you pay half of. The insurance can't be too cheap because you are a single male under 21 and full coverage is required on all loans. So we now have $575 a month and we need to add another $100 a month for gas if you drive it much at all.

That brings your monthy expenses to roughly $675.00 per month. That means you need to bring home $175 a week just to stay above water with no other expenses but the car. It's not that it is impossible and I commend you on being able to save 7.5k (if in fact that number is accurate) but I just hope that kind of financial burdon does not keep you from doing your best in college (assuming college is in your plans). Trust me when I say I know how hard it is to work 30-40 hours a week and try to find time for sleep and studying. My college grades suffered bad because of it and I was driving a PoS cavalier that was only $140 a month.

I wish you well and I hope you don't get yourself hurt physically or let your grades suffer so you can have that car.

BTW I am only truly jelous of two things in this world. One is the IRS and the other is my wife. Why? Because they both take my hard earned money and don't even say thank you

Good luck with the 02 z28 and for god sakes don't buy the 72Z. That'll just cost you more money and time that can be better spent with girls and books. And more Girls

Old 09-19-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

[/quote]
Good luck with the 02 z28 and for god sakes don't buy the 72Z. That'll just cost you more money and time that can be better spent with girls and books. And more Girls

[/quote]
wurd, spend that money on power adders