Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB bypass/ported TB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB bypass/ported TB?

Okay guys... remeber I'm new so forgive my ignorance. What do these do (in laimans terms if you will). How do they work and what would they benefit me?
-JOSH
Old 09-25-2003, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: TB bypass/ported TB?

Throttle Body bypass is where we re-route the engine coolant tube that currently goes into our t-body, and make it bypass the t-body. Stock LS1s circulate hot engine coolant inside our t-body, most likely to assist with heating the air coming into the engine for emissions reasons. You simply buy a 2 foot length of 5/16" fuel hose and go from the tube on the front of the engine block (next to the intake) and straight to the radiator, skipping the t-body.

Ported Throttle Body involves grinding/polishing the inner diameter of the T-body to help increase air flow. The factory ones are cast with a ridge, which most porters grind down smooth and polish up.

Tony
Old 09-26-2003, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

I think the main reason that coolant circulates through the TB is to prevent the throttle blade from sticking in cold climates. You don't want warmed/heated air coming into the intake if at all possible, it just hurts your performance.

Thats also the reason behind the CAI's (cold air intakes) that are so popular. They grab cool air from a point thats farther away from the hot engine, this lets you have denser air for your fuel/air mixture, thus more power.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the main reason that coolant circulates through the TB is to prevent the throttle blade from sticking in cold climates.
don't have that problem down here
Old 09-27-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People in Canada do the TB bypass mod and don't have any issues, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it down in Texas.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

I would do the bypass but not worry about the ported throttle body until you have an LS6 intake and some LT headers. Those should help out flow enough to need more air from a ported TB. Not to say do not get one just not a very noticable gain by itself, but hey every HP counts to some people.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Dr. Evil your reason why they do this is correct. GM stated somewhere thats why they run the hot air through to keep the tb blades from stickin in cold weather and not opening. But nine ball that would be a good guess in my book, if I didnt know the answer. Its not a big deal anway. I want to do this mod too. I hear in LT1's not sure about LS1s you can reroute the coolant without messin with the tube that leaves the TB. Just something witht he tube that goes in. Is this true?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

BMR makes a cheap kit that makes this install a breeze. Hell they even include directions.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

A kit makes it a bit easier, but there's not much to the mod at all. Search for the writeups.

Also, GM doesn't do this to run hot air into the intake, they're heating the TB, the air is heated a minor amount as a byproduct of that going on.