Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust,Exhaust,Exhaust!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust,Exhaust,Exhaust!!!!!

Ok, so Ive had my '99 TA for about a year now, bought it second hand, runs great, but it needs new CATS. I don't want to just replace the CATS but the whole exhaust system from front to back....so from the front here's what I wanna do, let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions let me know.

In order from front to rear: Long tube headers, into electronic cutouts, into the High flow CATS, into resonators, twin pipes on each side in the back.

If this is off the wall or you have any suggestions please let me know. TY

Also if you have preferences on which parts to use over another let me know as well ty again.

Steve
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems how this is your first post I'm going to say try a search. There are a bunch of people that have done custom stuff very similar to your discription if not exactly. Personally if your on a budget I'd just get a set of pacesetter coated headers (not stainless but reasonably priced and offer emissions if needed), tsp ory (unless you need cats, they offer those too) and a magnaflow or hooker catback. I have a cutout on my car now and I never use it. I think they're a waste. If money is not an issue, I'd do ARH (stainless), ARH ory (stainless and you can get cats and emissions stuff also), gmmg, and a tune. All the stuff on my car the previous owner did and is starting to rust and look horrible. The second setup I suggested is exactly what I'll be ordering in a few weeks. Just my .02.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you do the cutouts too close to the headers you will have no backpressure which will actually hurt you so you may want to put them after the cats and before the resonators.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Check to see if you can get all that in there first. That's a lot of stuff to get put under one of these cars. Are you going to be fabbing it up or having someone else do it? If it is someone else, have them look at it and see what they think. I would back the cutouts off the headers just a bit to make sure you don't get any air across the O2 sensors but that could make it tough to get the cats inline. Are you wanting to run some kind of x-pipe on it?

Jon
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would forget about the cats unless you have a visual or sniff test to pass. Otherwise, they are dead weight, extra cost, and can only hurt power.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would forget about the cats unless you have a visual or sniff test to pass. Otherwise, they are dead weight, extra cost, and can only hurt power.
thought about getting rid of the cats, however I had a local exhaust tech in my home town tell me it's not such a good idea because it would make the car run rich and then mentioned something about O2 loops to trick the system into thinking there is a CAT there. I haven't heard of an O2 loop before and don't even know where to get one.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just run open headers. thus no need to spend any extra money.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
if you do the cutouts too close to the headers you will have no backpressure which will actually hurt you so you may want to put them after the cats and before the resonators.
yeah your right about that thanks for the refresher on back pressure!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
just run open headers. thus no need to spend any extra money.
lol...I'd really like to but I live in an area with a lot of older folks and about as many cops, don't need no tickets on noise ordnance violation
Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by holdon2em
thought about getting rid of the cats, however I had a local exhaust tech in my home town tell me it's not such a good idea because it would make the car run rich
Not if you get the car tuned. Whether you have cats or not, you should plan on getting a dyno tune after an LT header install for best results.

Originally Posted by holdon2em
and then mentioned something about O2 loops to trick the system into thinking there is a CAT there. I haven't heard of an O2 loop before and don't even know where to get one.
It's called an O2 sim (simulator). But you won't need that if you get a custom tune, they can turn the rear O2s off.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
if you do the cutouts too close to the headers you will have no backpressure which will actually hurt you
It might make the car feel a little more lazy on the low end, but so long as they are full length headers, cut-outs right after the collectors certainly would not hurt high rpm horsepower.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not if you get the car tuned. Whether you have cats or not, you should plan on getting a dyno tune after an LT header install for best results.

It's called an O2 sim (simulator). But you won't need that if you get a custom tune, they can turn the rear O2s off.

It might make the car feel a little more lazy on the low end, but so long as they are full length headers, cut-outs right after the collectors certainly would not hurt high rpm horsepower.
well as I'm planning this venture, and I do mean planning (that's why I'm picking brains here) I am keeping options on the table as I go and eliminating some over others. I appreciate the help on all this and all the input everyone is giving me.

Let's say I did wanna go with the O2 simulator (and TY for letting me know the correct terminology), where would I find such an animal?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can get 02 simulators from just about any of the sponsors on this site. Check out their websites. Lots of good stuff.