New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ways to get more horses oout of my ls1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ways to get more horses oout of my ls1

Hi,....I have a ls1 in my 98 z28 camaro. I'm looking to take it up some horses, I want to change the cold air intake. But I don't know if I should go with the SLP's Cold Air Induction kit or the Granatelli Cold-Air Kits. Then I want to change my intake manifold. But I don't know if I should go with this BBK Ls1 and Z06 series SSI Intake Manifold ,the Weiand LS1 Aluminum Intake Manifold, or this Fast Racing LSX 92mm Intake Manifold. Then I want to change the throttle body to a 92mm throttle body. I was thinking of the BBK GM Ls/vortec 92mm Throttle Body or the Fast Big Mouth 92mm throttle body. Then change the fuel injectors. After all that I want the 383 stroker kit, change the header, change the cylinder heads, change the camshaft and the rocker arms! so if anyone can help please do thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slp lid, ftra, ls6 intake, pacestter long tubes, ory and a catback would be a good start. Dont waste your money on an aluminum intake and a fast is a waste until you do heads and cam. Stock injectors will be fine on a bolt on car. Are you a4 or m6?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

look at the fast toys 85mm lid and maf setup, it will be better with the 383 if you ever go that route, and like the other guy said ..stay away from aluminum intakes, they are a heat sink from the past. my old dodge v8 has an aluminum but that is an upgrade from the stock steel that was on it. I let both the dodge and my ls1 idle for 15 minutes and with a therma scanner the dodge intake was up to 180 degrees, and my poly unit on the camaro was a mear 130 if that.

these intakes allow for a much more consistent car at the track. If you get the fast not you may not see any gains on a stock motor but once you add cam and heads, etc. they all start working together.

take you time and do plenty of reaserch. don't jump into the first "good deal" you see.

also you listed off 3 different 92 mm tb's, pick the one you think looks best they will all perform the same. Don't spend the money on the rockers just get unless you get aftermarket heads with bronze guids. Many people run the stock rockers with no issues.

Als I didn't see any suspention plans in there, You may want to think about subframe connectors to keep the body in line with more hp, that was on of my first mods.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by streetassasin
slp lid, ftra, ls6 intake, pacestter long tubes, ory and a catback would be a good start. Dont waste your money on an aluminum intake and a fast is a waste until you do heads and cam. Stock injectors will be fine on a bolt on car. Are you a4 or m6?
The FAST LSX 92mm Intake Manifold is a three-piece Gen III composite manifold proven to deliver increased performance without compromising bottom-end drivability or high rpm power. For both street and racing GM Gen III (LS1, -2 & -6) applications, this intake manifold is a bolt-on installation and is designed to work with the FAST Big Mouth 92mm Throttle Body. The FAST LSX 92mm Intake Manifold maintains the performance gains achieved over stock intake manifolds with no loss in drivability or low rpm torque. While it delivers terrific performance right out of the box, it can be ported for even more flow. The intake features the added benefits of corrosion-free stainless steel assembly bolts, an improved throttle body sealing flange and o-ring gasket and threaded insert throttle body mounts that provide increased durability.
Features & Benefits:
• Increases horsepower over stock manifold with no loss of drivability or low rpm torque
• Incorporates high-quality polymer materials which resist "heat sink" effect of aluminum
• Maximizes potential of other popular engine performance upgrades such as cylinder heads

or

The high performance LS6 Intake Manifold for the 1997-2000 LS1 C5 Corvette and the 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird is now available from SLP. The new intake's increased plenum volume and massaged runner design gives an impressive 15 additional horsepower at the rear wheels. You will see improved 0-60 times and 1/4 mile acceleration. This is a direct bolt-on replacement for your original LS1 manifold. SLP's intake manifold package includes all necessary parts, hardware and detailed instructions.

and thanks

Last edited by cjrs22; 01-29-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
look at the fast toys 85mm lid and maf setup, it will be better with the 383 if you ever go that route, and like the other guy said ..stay away from aluminum intakes, they are a heat sink from the past. my old dodge v8 has an aluminum but that is an upgrade from the stock steel that was on it. I let both the dodge and my ls1 idle for 15 minutes and with a therma scanner the dodge intake was up to 180 degrees, and my poly unit on the camaro was a mear 130 if that.

these intakes allow for a much more consistent car at the track. If you get the fast not you may not see any gains on a stock motor but once you add cam and heads, etc. they all start working together.

take you time and do plenty of reaserch. don't jump into the first "good deal" you see.

also you listed off 3 different 92 mm tb's, pick the one you think looks best they will all perform the same. Don't spend the money on the rockers just get unless you get aftermarket heads with bronze guids. Many people run the stock rockers with no issues.

Als I didn't see any suspention plans in there, You may want to think about subframe connectors to keep the body in line with more hp, that was on of my first mods.

yes I want aftermarket heads I just don't know what heads to go with

so if you had the choice of the slp or he ftp 85mm which one would you use

and thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Did you think about maybe turboeing it?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cjrs22
yes I want aftermarket heads I just don't know what heads to go with

so if you had the choice of the slp or he ftp 85mm which one would you use

and thanks
I went from my slp lid to the fast toys lid and 85mm setup, much better and it looks killer.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Did you think about maybe turboeing it?
no i did not think about turbo
Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
I went from my slp lid to the fast toys lid and 85mm setup, much better and it looks killer.
yes I did look into that and I like that thanks

I also was looking into the ls1 383 kits , one a

Eagle LS1/LS6 Competition Rotating Assemblies
Chevy Competition Assembly
Includes ESP pin fit 4340 H-beam 3-D connecting rods, std/std ESP forged steel crank, SRP/JE forged aluminum pistons, piston pins, rod and main bearings, plasma moly cast iron ring set. Fully internally balanced.
356-B12804
Chevy LS1 Balanced Assembly
• 383ci
• Bore Diameter: 3.905"
• Stroke: 4.000"
• Rod Length: 6.200"
• Piston Type: Flat Top @ -2cc
• Comp Ratio:
11.3:1 with 64cc head
11.0:1 with 66cc head
10.4:1 with 72cc head

the second one is
Brand Eagle Specialty Products

Manufacturer Part Number B12804STD
Part Type Engine Rotating Kits

Product Line Eagle Competition Rotating Assemblies

Summit Part Number ESP-B12804STD
Important Info Oversize
Description Balanced Rotating Assembly, Competition, Forged Crank, Forged Pistons, H-Beam Rods, Chevy, Small Block, Kit
Actual Engine CID 383
Assembly Lubricant Included No
Balance Style -
Balanced Yes
Bore (in) 4.000 in.
Bore (mm) 101.600mm
Cam Bearings Included No
Camshaft Included No
Connecting Rod Beam Style H-beam
Connecting Rod Material Forged 4340 steel
Connecting Rods Included Yes
Crankshaft Included Yes
Crankshaft Material Forged 4340 steel
Engine Balance Internal
Engine Stroke (in) 4.000 in.
Gaskets Included No
Lifters Included No
Main Bearing Undersize (in) Stock
Main Bearing Undersize (mm) Stock
Main Bearings Included Yes
Notes 24 tooth reluctor. Assembly includes file fit piston rings. Suitable up to 750 horsepower, 1500 horsepower with rod bolt upgrade.
Oil Pump Included No
Oil Pump Style -
Piston and Ring Oversize (in) Stock
Piston and Ring Oversize (mm) -
Piston Head Volume (cc) +2.00cc
Piston Material Forged aluminum
Piston Ring Facing Material Plasmamoly
Piston Rings Included Yes
Piston Style Flat top, with two valve reliefs
Pistons Included Yes
Plastigage Included No
Quantity Sold as a kit.