New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat help 1998 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat help 1998 trans am

I'm wanting to get rid of my cats. im wonderin if i can buy a test pipe from somewhere or should i just make it myself. Also what do i need to do to ensure that my car will still run right? with all the sensors, should i just buy o2 sims and call it a day? has anyone ever had a problem with the sims? also as sad as this may sound i still have the stock man.... but i just want the car to be louder.... thanks for any help...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM

I only ask because i want the sound and i need to go cheap at this time... any ideas please HELP!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I believe mac offers a catless y pipe that will bolt up to your manifolds. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1098 If you are looking for an easy/semi cheap/professional looking way I would probably go that route. As for running right, you are correct. O2 sims will due just fine.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I just gutted my cats a couple days ago and my car runs rich as hell and smokes now. I ordered O2 sims but decided to get a mail order tune to completely do away with the rear O2s, since I needed a speedo recalibration and EGR delete anyway. I wish I had thought of the tune before I spent $60 on the sims.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Teching In

But on the plus side, stock manifold, gutted cats, and a Borla exhaust sounds AWESOME!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP makes a catless y also that bolts right up to the stock headers.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by G1V1TUP
I just gutted my cats a couple days ago and my car runs rich as hell and smokes now. I ordered O2 sims but decided to get a mail order tune to completely do away with the rear O2s, since I needed a speedo recalibration and EGR delete anyway. I wish I had thought of the tune before I spent $60 on the sims.
So with the o2 sims i wouldn't have to worry about the running rich and smoking problem right????
And just how loud is the car now?
I have a flowmaster muffler on it which has a nice sound just not that loud...
Thanks for the help guys..
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Thats right, it would run exactly like it does with the cats on it now...no smoking, no running rich, and maybe a little more power but not enough to make a difference. Its not insanely, OMG loud but its very very noticably louder than before. Has a very agressive, pissed off, get outta my way before I push you out the way kinda sound. Almost made me not even want headers anymore because it sounds so good.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

just go to a muffler shop and pay 100 bucks to cut the cats off and weld straight pipe in. then sell the cats
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Iwannagofaster
just go to a muffler shop and pay 100 bucks to cut the cats off and weld straight pipe in. then sell the cats
I took it in to the local shop i kinda know the guys they cut the cat of my 87 irocz and my 92 camaro and a 84 3/4 ton
But the guy wanted to charge 200$ because of how close the cat on the drivers side is to the engine and it's connected straight to the stock manifold. plus they are kinda ghetto riggers..
Luckly i live where we have no emissions testing . but the mac y pipe for 189$ will look better than the hack and piece job they would do.

thanks for all the comments!!! i appreciate the help!!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Iwannagofaster
also how much could i get for the cats? the local muffler shop said id have to pay cash for them to touch it and also they get to keep the cats... Screw that if i get the mac y pipe that bolts in ill do it my self. but where could i sell them ?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

I live here in arkansas and we dont have testing, the charged me 100 bucks to cut both off and was out in less than an hour. I signed something saying it was for off road use only. I'm sure you could call around to some metal places and see what they would give you for the cats, should at least cover the cost of getting them cut off

Quick Reply: Cat help 1998 trans am