Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question magnaflow?

how much power will i gain from ditching the flowmaster cat back with a magnaflow catback
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just swapped out my Chokemaster for a Magnaflow this past weekend (Just the muffler itself) and it is a night and day difference. I couldn't give you an exact HP number but if I had to guess I would say anywhere from 5-10 if that. Sound is much nicer (not so damn loud and sounds much deeper around 3 grand) the flow overall is why I changed it out. I would rec doing it w/o a doubt. I wouldn't waste the money on the entire catback, just throw on the muffler and call it a day.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Dont buy a new catback, just swap out the muffler. Im running the stock catback with a Magnaflow muffler and tips. It sounds amazing
Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow muff part #12267 is what you want..I have it and it works!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by omcar
Magnaflow muff part #12267 is what you want..I have it and it works!
+1 that's the one you want. Nice muffler. I payed $95 for mine from a local exhaust shop. Summit sells them for $104.95 I believe.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

thats the one i got. because i remeber it having a 3 inch inlet and the stock tubing is like 2 3/4 over the axle
Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the tubing you guys have on there perfectly round or is it oval? I bought the car with flowmasters and was wondering if I should buy the full kit or not.

Sorry OP, not tryin to hijack.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

than ks as soon as i get some cash ill invest in the magna
Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

You won't gain much going from Flowmaster to Magnaflow on an otherwise stock car (don't know what your mod level is, you didn't mention). Probably less than 5hp.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

Even if you only gain 1 HP. It it WELL worth it for the sound difference IMO
Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

man i would say at least least 50+rwhp those flowmasters suck lol.... get a tune and your in the 10s fa sho
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Magnaflow claims around 17 hp going from stock to their catback system, so subtract what you gained switching to flowmasters and use that as a relative starting point. Probably won't be much, but the sound is supposed to be well worth it. It'll probably be one of my next three mods.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99corvette
Even if you only gain 1 HP. It it WELL worth it for the sound difference IMO
Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Probably won't be much, but the sound is supposed to be well worth it.
One thing Flowmaster does very well is sound. I had Magnaflow once and was very disappointed in the sound with cats and a stock engine (too stock, too smooth). Of coruse, the sound of any catback changes drastically if you have headers and ORY though.

The only Magnaflow muffler I'd use at this point is their 5" round bullet style, which sound great as part of a catless true dual system.

Magnaflow claims around 17 hp going from stock to their catback system
Maybe on a blower or turbo car. That is a misleading claim on their part, you can expect about half that much on a mostly stock car.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

I yanked the crapmaster off mine when I got it. Already had the catback and cutout before we picked the car up.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

For me the flowmaster sound just isn't loud enough. Granted, I don't have a cutout, but for me it just isn't loud enough. I plan on putting the magnaflow on there whenever I get a chance just because I love the sound. Then again I've heard a LoudMouth setup with heads and cam and full bolt ons roll up beside me one day and we chatted and it actually sounded pretty badass, so now I'm kind of torn.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

For me the flowmaster sound just isn't loud enough. Granted, I don't have a cutout, but for me it just isn't loud enough. I plan on putting the magnaflow on there whenever I get a chance just because I love the sound. Then again I've heard a LoudMouth setup with heads and cam and full bolt ons roll up beside me one day and we chatted and it actually sounded pretty badass, so now I'm kind of torn.

If a flowmaster isnt loud enough for you, then I wouldnt be buying a Magnaflow....
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

You are on two different sides of the sound spectrum....lol If the Flowmaster isn't loud enough for you then run a TD set up with cut outs and call it a day.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Im running hooker LTs and ORY and stock catback with Magnaflow muffler and tips. It sounds amazing with my cam. But for when i go to the track i have a cutout i open up to bypass that restrictive stock catback.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Im running hooker LTs and ORY and stock catback with Magnaflow muffler and tips. It sounds amazing with my cam. But for when i go to the track i have a cutout i open up to bypass that restrictive stock catback.
We are almost the same. I run Mac mids, ORY, stock catback into Magnaflow muffler. Mine sounds really tame IMO, especially at idle considering the cam I run. I suppose the mids are to blame. I listen to cars with the same cam, LT's, ORY, and Corsa and its way louder at idle

To the OP, I also used to run the Flowmaster and switched to the Magnaflow muffler. While it got more quiet, it flows far better. Think I dynoed 397 through the Magnaflow and 401 through the cutout.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

For me the flowmaster sound just isn't loud enough.
Then you'd better pay attention to what these guys said:

If a flowmaster isnt loud enough for you, then I wouldnt be buying a Magnaflow....
Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
You are on two different sides of the sound spectrum....lol If the Flowmaster isn't loud enough for you then run a TD set up with cut outs and call it a day.
Originally Posted by Quik Sand
To the OP, I also used to run the Flowmaster and switched to the Magnaflow muffler. While it got more quiet...
Magnaflow will be quieter than Flowmaster, not louder. The fact that it's so quiet is the reason I didn't like Magnaflow in the first place (especially with cats & stock manifolds at the time).

If you have heard sound files of Magnaflow that were louder than your Flowmaster, and that's why you like it, then my guess is those sound files were Magnaflow with an ORY and headers (it's the ORY making it louder, not the muffler). You probably have stock manifolds and cats still, and if you pull the Flowmaster in favor of a Magnaflow it's only going to get quieter.

Again, all else being equal, Magnaflow will be quieter than Flowmaster. Be ready for that if you switch, otherwise you'll be dissapointed.

Originally Posted by Quik Sand
We are almost the same. I run Mac mids, ORY, stock catback into Magnaflow muffler. Mine sounds really tame IMO, especially at idle considering the cam I run. I suppose the mids are to blame. I listen to cars with the same cam, LT's, ORY, and Corsa and its way louder at idle
It's not the mids; mids vs LTs will make no difference in volume. In this case, it's the muffler. The Magnaflow muffler is quieter than Corsa.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-11-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: magnaflow?