New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an ORY definitly an emissions prob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is an ORY definitly an emissions prob?

I think my cats are going bad and im trying to figure the best thing to do on a budget to fix the problem. Im thinking something like a Dynomax 88028 ORY for just over $200 would be the best move. Question is, am i definitly gonna have trouble at emissions next time around with the ORY?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

If you think your catalytic converters are going bad, the best you can do is replace them.

Removing them altogether will only make you fail harder at emissions testing (assume they hook you up to sniffer).

So no, ORY is not a good idea. Getting some replacement cats, or even some hi-flow cats preferably will be the better option.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info, problem is that cats cost $200 ea. and i was hoping to keep the total under $250 or so. Also i wanted an excuse to install a new y pipe from the stock one anyway to gain ground clearance and a few hp's. urg
Old 07-20-2010, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Maybe i can do the ORY before my cats go to complete **** and reinstall them for emissions!?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk489
Maybe i can do the ORY before my cats go to complete **** and reinstall them for emissions!?
I was going to suggest that or, do the ORY and get some cheap eBay cats put on your stock Y pipe then swap when needed.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find a set of used cats that are still good. Thats your best bet. ORY is a no go for emissions, you will fail both visual and sniffer. Hit up some wrecking yards or craigslist and see if you can track down a used set off of 00-02. They all have the same cats for those years. Besides that, how have you determined your cats are going bad? How many miles on them? Cats don't go bad by themselves, the car has to be running rich/lean for an extended period for them to fail.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
how have you determined your cats are going bad? How many miles on them? Cats don't go bad by themselves, the car has to be running rich/lean for an extended period for them to fail.
Havent confirmed they are bad yet but have been troubleshooting some other possible causes of some strange noise at high rpm to no avail. i already did a post about it "ticking at high rpm" and am thinking its the cats based on input from that post. The car has 60k on it and was old man driven/garage kept for the first 46k. im gonna at least do a visual check on them and maybe pull them if i get a chance so i can confirm they are the prob.

link to "ticking at high rpm" thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...-high-rpm.html
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

1) I'm not convinced that your cats are actually bad based on high rpm ticking.

2) I don't understand why people are telling you that an ORY will make passing emissions hard unless they know what type of testing your state does. Unless you have a visual and/or sniff test, all you need is some quick custom tuning to pass with an ORY. Many states have only OBD scan testing for '96+ cars, what does yours have?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
1) I'm not convinced that your cats are actually bad based on high rpm ticking.

2) I don't understand why people are telling you that an ORY will make passing emissions hard unless they know what type of testing your state does. Unless you have a visual and/or sniff test, all you need is some quick custom tuning to pass with an ORY. Many states have only OBD scan testing for '96+ cars, what does yours have?
I'm not conviced of the cats either. I was saying for smog assuming that the state actually inspects it. Since very few states pass up the sniffer any more I was just going on the safe side.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Your car is beautiful.
Are you really that concerned with emissions?
Or is your city that strict about it?
A TSP ory is 140 shipped. That would be my next move.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/MVA-Prog...P/veipinfo.htm

You at least have to do OBD II, which you will be fine with if you get the rear O2's tuned out. Although it looks like there may be a visual too. Not sure, haven't had an emissions inspection is a long time Best bet is to try to pass, then when you fail you get a free retest. There's something that if you spend like $500 trying to fix the issue and still fail, it will get waived. You could always get a shop to write you up an invoice or purchase some other mod and try to slip it past them
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a ORY and get these, http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...4dc11f7f10267a

There, now you will pass visual inspection if you REALLY care that much.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Rofl, the description of that allflow cat cracks me up. Read the very bottom, that's good stuff.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

OP...your good to go in MD. They check for codes and let u go...tho they have been using a mirror lately...they only check from right in front of the driver side rear tire and around to the back..i don't know why, so even with your "stock" cats they wouldn't be able to see them since they are so far up by the block. Last time I was there with a work truck and the inspector made it sound like they weren't going to be doing it much longer..God I hope so. Tho I can't see the state giving up such a cash cow. But I haven't got a notice since 07 so here's to wishful thinking
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

You'll be fine. I am in MD and I passed. No cats
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Since very few states pass up the sniffer any more I was just going on the safe side.
I think it's the other way around. Most states are ditching the sniffer as the majority of cars still on the road are '96+ models that can be OBD scan tested.

Here in IL, once the number of regestered cars from model year 1995 and earlier dropped below 30% of total cars in the state, they dropped all testing for the older cars and removed the sniff equpitment from the test centers. Guess it's just too costly to maintain the older testing equpitment for such a small amount of cars. I think many/most other states that still test will be/already are following suit. Of course, CA will probably never let up, as usual. Wouldn't surprise me if they started sniff testing people's ******** there.

The Allflow cat is a great idea for those people with a visual test but no sniffer. I would definitely do that myself.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fccs
Get a ORY and get these, http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...4dc11f7f10267a

There, now you will pass visual inspection if you REALLY care that much.
HAHA thats ******* Awesome!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

ok, so i figure im gonna be spending $200+ on an ORY anyway why not just do $370 on the BBK longtubes and y setup? if emissions become a prob ill just switch back to stock for the test. This winter i was planning on building custom true duals w/ headers anyway. i wont be able to reuse the y obviously but at least i wont be spending $200+ on something that will be removed in 6-7 months anyway!

For a split second i thought about those fake cats but i dont want to get cancer!