Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install help

Hey guys. Im about half way through my header install on my 99z. Drivers side was a breeze and passenger side was going smooth untill i went to pull the dipstick tube out. Ive wiggled and pulled every way and drowned it in PB blaster.This thing is really stuck in there. I have all the pass mani bolts lose and ready to drop but im stuck until i can get the tube out of the way. Any suggestions??
Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't flame me, but I gotta ask...

Do you have the (I believe, 15mm?) bolt holding the the Dipstick Tube Bracket to the Head removed? If not, thats your trouble. Once its removed, the pulling and wiggling method will get that sucker outta there in no time.

If the Bracket Bolt has been removed, just walk away for a while and then give it one more shot. That ******'s gotta come outta there. Be patient, but be persistant, as well.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Teching In

yeah, 15mm bolt is out of there. only held in at the block.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try and get a long set of needle nose in there and wiggle it loose. it's been awhile since my header install, so i really don't remember how much room you have where the dipstick enters the block.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing holding the dipstick in now is a rubber o-ring leading into the oil pan. It should just pull right out without to much effort. Your just going to have to pull bro from here on out if that 15mm bolt is out. Will it twist at all, or does it seem like its welded on there? If it's never been removed there could be a whole bunch of build up on it, but you would still be able to twist it though. That's all thats holding it in unfortunately is that oring.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks guys. I called it quits for the day. Sprayed the hell out of it and gonna start fresh in the AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Try and figure where the angle of the dipstick where it would be pointing straight out instead of at an angle and pull that way.

Also if you want the header gasket to be easier with out dropping all over the place, put a zip tie through two of the holes, holding the gasket to the header. Then thread 2 bolts into the block after that cut the zipties and no more matching holes to holes in order to thread.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

on my header install i ended up having to take a pair of pliers and pluck that sucker outa there. got a new one. i didnt feel like dealing with it...

Quick Reply: Header install help