Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need adivce on which Trans am to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need adivce on which Trans am to get

So i have been looking for a Trans am for about 4 months now, i am waiting for the perfect one. I finally came across the perfect one its a 96 ws6 with 70,000 miles on it but, its an automatic.... and i really wanted a stick. so i wanted peoples advice on how big of a difference it really makes, and should i get this one or keep waiting?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on what you are looking for. What makes this one perfect? As far as auto or manual it all comes down to personal preference...
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If it's an Auto and you really want a Manual then it's not the "perfect one". It may be really close, but it's still not perfect. As far as a difference, it's all up to your own preference. Have you driven both kinds? What sort of driving are you going to be doing with it? If you like the car and can live with the auto, then get it. If you drive the car and wish that you had a six speed the whole time, don't buy it. Simple as that.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

why 96 and not newer?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
why 96 and not newer?
well i would get newer but i really want a ws6 and its a pretty good deal
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TechCam97
If it's an Auto and you really want a Manual then it's not the "perfect one". It may be really close, but it's still not perfect. As far as a difference, it's all up to your own preference. Have you driven both kinds? What sort of driving are you going to be doing with it? If you like the car and can live with the auto, then get it. If you drive the car and wish that you had a six speed the whole time, don't buy it. Simple as that.
well i meant everything was perfect but that, and im looking for something that will put me back in the seat when i hit the gas, im all about accleration, but i appreciate your advice and i think i just ansered my own question.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedals1

id look at 01-02 ws6s that are stock or close to it with low or average mileage.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ineedals1
ws6's run up to 02...
Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdiddyws6
ws6's run up to 02...
Sure do......after having both an LT & LS car get a 98-02 LS car FOR SURE EVERYTHING is better...........
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Look for 98-02 trans am's. And honestly as long as it has the LS1 go for it. The upgrades you get from the factory with a WS6 trans am won't mean ANYTHING once it's modded (besides badge and hood) A WS6 is good if you want an all stock car but if it's for the looks you can always buy an oem/aftermarket hood and call it day. Like I said if you are ever going to mod it the "WS6 performance package" will render useless.

PS. The best advice I got when I was looking for the "perfect one" like you are: If it's not what you want don't settle for it! You want a STICK? Find a STICK! Don't settle for an auto if you don't want it. I waited until I found the one and I almost pulled the trigger on auto's that had the right price and were in MINT condition. I waited, found a 6-speed, mint, and the price was fair! Keep looking and GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

DO NOT sttle for an auto if you really want a stick.

I didn't even care one way or the other when I bought mine, and I really wish I had gotten a stick now.

The autos make nice cruisers or strip cars, but otherwise they are very uninvolving to drive.

Mine bores me to death, and gets worse mileage than what the M6 would.
Also, like everone else said, get a LS1 car. Although a '96 WS6 is a somewhat rare car, the LS1's are just better overall, WS6 or not.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get what you want. If you want an LT1 then get one. Don't let other people make your decision for you.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats you're preference on motor? I agree with everyone else, the ls1 is an overall better car. The only thing that I would say is better on the lt1 is the sound of the motor. Other than that, it's a no-brainer. The M6 sure are fun, let me tell you.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to buy a used car that's exactly what you want. But you need to make a short list of items that are deal breakers. In your case, sounds like 6 speed is on the list.

I looked for months before I found a car that met my criteria. Didn't especially want a red one, but colour isn't important to me. But a 6 speed was.

The right one will come along. If you settle, you'll be pissed off. Might as well just buy a used Taurus.

And by the way, get an LS1. Put it on your list.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

No need for another LT1 vs LS1 and/or M6 vs A4 thread.

Hold out for what you want when it comes to major factors like engine and trans. Stuff like color, interior, options, etc., you may have to be willing to compromise on an older used car.

There is nothing wrong with an auto. There is nothing wrong with an M6. There is nothing wrong with an LT1. There is nothing wrong with an LS1. The only way you can go wrong is to buy something based on the advice of other's rather than what YOU really want.