Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you drain the tank without dropping it

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you drain the tank without dropping it

I just picked up a 2000 TA WS6 that has been sitting for 5 years, I need to drain the tank, but was unable to siphon it out due to the 'gates' that pinch off the hose .. I'm sure this is by design. anyway, is there any other way to drain the tank other than dropping it out? My only thoughts now are to disconnect the fuel line before the filter and then turn the key on (once i get a new batt) to accessory and let it pump out ??

thanks in advance for any input,
Devin
Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's probably going to be the only way to do it. If you are really wanting to clean it out though, it will have to come out.

Jon
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

I was afraid of that - the car has a full tank of gas as well. not sure i really need to drop it and clean/flush it.. think i'll just got that route then.
thanks for the input Jon .. much appreciated.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Cut an Access Panel and remove the Sending Unit. Then change the pump while it's out because if its been sitting for that long I have money on it going to **** pretty quick if it already hasn't.

Then when you have the Pump out drain the Tank.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

any approximation on where exactly to cut
And i agree, I would think the pump would be ready for a swap after 5 years of sitting (and hasn't been started).
Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Why would the pump go bad from sitting? In my experiance, disuse has never caused pump failure. Guess it could get gummed up with old gas though.....
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy way to check and see if the pump is good is to test it w/ a battery like you were saying. If it has good volume and pressure, let it go.

Jon
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Pull the valve from the fuel rail, run a hose from the rail to a gas can, go to the fuse panel and hook a wire from the battery to the pump. If the pump can pump, it'll drain the tank quickly.

if I remember right, you can't just turn the key on without starting the car because the pump won't stay running unless it sees the engine is on.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gillbot
Pull the valve from the fuel rail, run a hose from the rail to a gas can, go to the fuse panel and hook a wire from the battery to the pump. If the pump can pump, it'll drain the tank quickly.

if I remember right, you can't just turn the key on without starting the car because the pump won't stay running unless it sees the engine is on.
ah, good point on just turning the ignition.. i seem to recall the same thing (iirc)
i'll have a go at that, it'll let me know if the pump is still good and get the gas drained .. thanks for the tip
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why would the pump go bad from sitting? In my experiance, disuse has never caused pump failure. Guess it could get gummed up with old gas though.....
When I got back from Iraq I went to drive my car and the Fuel Pump went out. After messing with it I found the cause to be the diaphram in the pump, it had dry rotted.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I haven't looked at my 2000 TA, but my 99Z had a petcock drain on the tank.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
^^^^x1 Registered User

^^^^x1. You can also hook up a pressure gauge 2 the fuel rail n see if u got enough pressure.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
When I got back from Iraq I went to drive my car and the Fuel Pump went out. After messing with it I found the cause to be the diaphram in the pump, it had dry rotted.
Hmmm. I've owned many cars that sit A LOT. I've never had that problem. Guess anything is possibile though.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
That's probably going to be the only way to do it. If you are really wanting to clean it out though, it will have to come out.

Jon
Agree'd. Drop it, and clean it. However, its gonna be easier to drop when empty, so disconnecting the line and letting the pump empty the tank first is still a good idea.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Pull your fuel filter off which your going to be changing anyway then jumper your fuel pump relay and your pump will run it all out.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah and the pump will run for 2 seconds with each key cycle so you would prolly be there all day draining it that way.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the comments guys, i've been out of working on LS1's since 04' (stopped racing my old SS and my vette is bone stock) but it's all coming back to me

I will be doing this on Sat, if i'm hearing everyone right.. i just need to run a wire from the new batt to the fuse block for the pump right? and that is going to take a while if it only runs 2 seconds per key turn to accessory
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do this but just jump the fuel pump relay until you drain all the gas out instead of running a wire from the battery to the pump. I believe you can do that on these cars. The new ones have fuel pump modules that have to actually see the engine cranking before they send power to the fuel pump but on the older ones, you can just jump the relay.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

The Pump is powered by a constant hot from the battery, it should work jumping the 30 and 87 terminal.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Hmmm. I've owned many cars that sit A LOT. I've never had that problem. Guess anything is possibile though.
Yup..same thing I said. **** happens. I had an access panel so it was quick and simple.

Quick Reply: How do you drain the tank without dropping it