Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cutouts

was lookin at gettin dual cut outs for my ws6, was lookin at electric cutouts but the only kinda i liked cost $500 for a kit and its not worth it to me, thing i didnt like about the cheaper ones is that its a butterfly flap, how well do they seal and or do they stay sealed after many of miles and uses, last thing i want is spend $200 sum dollars to have exhaust leaks. if not might just buy manual ones for $50 a set
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Forget the exhaust leaks... you probably won't ever close them. I live in a quiet neighborhood and nobody ever says anything so I just leave em' open. Unless you have true duals then one cutout on the I-pipe will work fine.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

DMH is the way to go. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Here is a newer design to the cutout by Doug's Headers. It was featured in the august issue of GMHTP mag. Uses a Rotating Gear instead of the butterfly, for a better seal.. they claim..... Looks like a very nice piece, IMO

http://pertronix.com/prod/new/details.aspx?ID=137
Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

ya the doug ones are the ones i liked but i cant spend $500 on a set of cut outs atm, need other stuff and all, might just get the $30 manual ones for now and then maybe in the future get those, and for leavin them open, i have a quite nieghbor hood and all too and no one really says anything but they probably would eventually, espicially when i leave at 7am for work, had a 87 chevy k5 blazer i drove around with just headers cause the exhaust fell off lol, they said somethin after a while lol
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

I have a 3" manual cutout that you can have for $20 + shipping
Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

thanks but no thanks, nothin towards u or anything but i can get a set of new ones (also need 2 anyway) for $50 for a set, thanks for the offer though
Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DMH I also highly recommend. Not only is the product they produce great, but the customer service is awesome! Lifetime warranty, free replacement no questions asked. Always a pleasure to deal with. I have had mine for about 3years now or more and the motor went 1time so far, broke one but that was my fault before. Both times I was given a new one just like that no charge. Great people to deal with!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to toss it out there, it seems like (in my limited forum-surfing experience) that a lot of guys who get manual cutouts end up just leaving them open or closed, because after a bit, constantly getting under the car to swap the plates gets old.

I don't get cutouts, unless it's for a dual-purpose street/strip car...open cutouts just sound like ***. Well, loud ***, but *** all the same. There's no tone or anything, just loud raspy exhaust noise. True duals aren't obnoxiously loud unless you want them to be, and that can be toned down a bit by using Flowmaster single-chambers or some of those small Magnaflow mufflers (like 4x9" or summat) instead of bullets.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Element
I don't get cutouts, unless it's for a dual-purpose street/strip car...open cutouts just sound like ***. Well, loud ***, but *** all the same. There's no tone or anything, just loud raspy exhaust noise. True duals aren't obnoxiously loud unless you want them to be, and that can be toned down a bit by using Flowmaster single-chambers or some of those small Magnaflow mufflers (like 4x9" or summat) instead of bullets.
Obviously this comes down to personal preference, but my cutout with stock manifolds and cats sounds awesome, isn't raspy, and isn't TOO loud.

IMO you can't beat the sound of a cammed LS1 with open headers... orgasmic. But since open headers are intolerable, a cutout is the next best thing.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
Obviously this comes down to personal preference, but my cutout with stock manifolds and cats sounds awesome, isn't raspy, and isn't TOO loud.

IMO you can't beat the sound of a cammed LS1 with open headers... orgasmic. But since open headers are intolerable, a cutout is the next best thing.
A cammed LS1 with open long tubes at the track, or for a couple minutes pulling into a car show, sure. Stock cube, stock guts LS1 with cutouts? Ugh. Even a cammed car with open exhaust on the street gets annoying pretty quickly. That's just my ears, though, and what sounds great to me might sound horrible to someone else.

Just figured I'd toss the bit about manual cutouts out there, though...does seem like a pain in the *** to have to crawl around to bolt the plates on or take them off depending on your mood (and the weather, whether the cops have had their morning donuts, etc).
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Are you guys putting the cutouts on after the cats with a turn down or???
Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a cutout on the I pipe, no cats tsp ory with longtubes and mods in sig. It's...decently loud to say the least
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
thanks but no thanks, nothin towards u or anything but i can get a set of new ones (also need 2 anyway) for $50 for a set, thanks for the offer though
no actually you don't need 2.. here's why.. unless you are running big cubes and you don't give a **** about ground clearance, then get 2.. The sound from 2 is not going to be much louder than 1, also, it would be a lot harder for the welder to pick a good spot to install them into, and then he'll tell you to go with just 1.. Ask me how I know.

Also, might as well spend your money on an electric one now.. it got real old real fast for me climbing under the car in the mornings time and time again to open/close it.. now with my electric one its the flip of a switch. I bought a DMH electric cutout used for $120 shipped and it works perfectly, no complaints.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

ya getting out and climbing under inst the best thing but, and i was going to install them right after each header to bypass all the exhaust currently on there when i did open them up, my other thinking after reading all yalls posts and what not and re lookin at the manual ones, dont u have to buy the manual type ones anyway so the electronic ones have something to bolt too?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ya getting out and climbing under inst the best thing but, and i was going to install them right after each header to bypass all the exhaust currently on there when i did open them up, my other thinking after reading all yalls posts and what not and re lookin at the manual ones, dont u have to buy the manual type ones anyway so the electronic ones have something to bolt too?
yes you have to buy the actual cutout, and then the electronic butterfly to open it.. you can buy each individually, or in a package deal.. like I said I paid $120 shipped for mine with the actual cutout, electronic motor, all the wiring, the switch, the works..

I'm telling you your going to have clearance issues if you put them right after the headers.. This was my plan and my shop wouldn't do it because they knew I wouldn't have the clearance. I would have scraped every single speed bump severely. I have American Racing Headers and they are pretty much the best fitting, most tucked up headers you can get, so I didn't have much room to work with.

You are wasting your money if you buy 2 cutouts. End of story.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manual cut outs are lame...go with a electric.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Default sounds. like

Originally Posted by fccs
I have a cutout on the I pipe, no cats tsp ory with longtubes and mods in sig. It's...decently loud to say the least
im glad u like it because it is the most aweful noise i have ever heard next to ricer exhaust!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Multiburon
im glad u like it because it is the most aweful noise i have ever heard next to ricer exhaust!

Free flowing V8 exhaust sounds nothing like some ricer fartcan. To the OP, the drone of the cutouts can get old if you leave them open all the time. Do yourself a favor and get the electric ones. It's nice to have them open around town and equally nice to have them closed when on the highway!

Last edited by TechCam97; 08-19-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

QTP has both types available, electric is much more desirable for ease of function.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/

Quick Reply: cutouts