Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to car upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to car upgrades...

hey all,

I was hoping someone out here could point me in the right direction regarding engine upgrades. Is there a particular book, dvd, etc. I can use to learn about what I'm looking at when I pop open the hood. I have a general idea of whats going on, but obviously not the point of installing a performance upgrade.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks,

BFP
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a sticky at the top of this page with books you should read.and read some of the other stickies,the are very helpful.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you trying to figure out how the engine/various systems (emissions, power steering, etc.) work or are you trying to figure out performance options?

As far as engine/stuff working, check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/, there's a lot of information on there to read up, including various videos, etc.

As far as upgrade options, the stickies in this section and the various other sections will really help you out in figuring what you should upgrade or what is pretty good stock.

Also, the search option at the top of the page can help find specific topics.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by garygnu
there is a sticky at the top of this page with books you should read.and read some of the other stickies,the are very helpful.
I found a sticky called books 101. I'm not sure if that's what you meant. It seems helpful. Thanks

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Are you trying to figure out how the engine/various systems (emissions, power steering, etc.) work or are you trying to figure out performance options?

As far as engine/stuff working, check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/, there's a lot of information on there to read up, including various videos, etc.

As far as upgrade options, the stickies in this section and the various other sections will really help you out in figuring what you should upgrade or what is pretty good stock.

Also, the search option at the top of the page can help find specific topics.

Hope this helps!
Haha, well, this is sort of embarrassing. I'd like to learn what exactly the things that I see under the hood are... and how to take them apart. For example, I can take apart a computer and rebuild it. I know what is compatible and what isn't. What part you would need for whatever your goal is. I don't exactly know how each part works, but I know what it does. I hope I'm being clear. I would at some point like to know how to replace an ls32 v6 with a ls1, 2, or 3. Basically, I'm looking for something that would teach me from scratch. I hope that explained it lol
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you're looking for experience. lol Best way to do that is to get your hands in there and do it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Sounds like you're looking for experience. lol Best way to do that is to get your hands in there and do it.
lol...hey i can take it apart, but whos gonna put it back together? haha
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with Z28, however, check out www.ls1howto.com and www.installuniversity.com for more stuff.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Agreed with Z28, however, check out www.ls1howto.com and www.installuniversity.com for more stuff.
awesome! thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigFatPanda
lol...hey i can take it apart, but whos gonna put it back together? haha
You are. It's easier than you think. It goes back the way it came apart.

If I were you, I'd start with small things like changing break pads, changing oil, changing tires, spark plugs, oil, etc. All that stuff is straight forward and you can't really mess up unless you're absolutely careless and pay no attention to detail. You'll be alright.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
You are. It's easier than you think. It goes back the way it came apart.

If I were you, I'd start with small things like changing break pads, changing oil, changing tires, spark plugs, oil, etc. All that stuff is straight forward and you can't really mess up unless you're absolutely careless and pay no attention to detail. You'll be alright.
Oh yeeeeah going backwards...haha...

But yeah. I'll start with the simple stuff. I'll ride a v6 until i got enough money for a full ls3 swap. Hopefully, by then, I'll know what I'm doing.