Si7 cam 238/244 .605/.612
Rollmaster single roller timing set
Strange 9" with Detroit locker
Moser Axles
Nitto 555r's
SLP fuel rails
ZR1 rims
Hardened Pushrods 8.150

I did not put it together. I bought it this way. It still has the stock transmission and clutch. Problem is that sometimes it won't go in to 3rd gear. Also, sitting idle it sometimes wont go in to first or reverse. Try to go in first and I can't even get the shifter over far enough to try. Like it is completely blocked. Sometimes I can go into 4th and then go to first but even then sometimes it goes right away and other times it gives me a fit. It's like the shifter is locked. You know how in neutral you can move it from left to right, like from where first is to where reverse is, well imagine just being able to go from where 3rd is to 5th is. Some days it is a pain and others it works fine. Any suggestions?

Also, aside from the clutch, what else should i upgrade? Everything on the list look like it's ok? My first LS1 car. Biggest motor I owned before this was a 305 91 Camaro like 14 years ago. This is a whole lot different than that car. Bought it 3 weeks ago. Car was built by Speed Inc.

I do love the car, it's just taking me longer to get used to the T56. Longer than I thought. I drive it every other night if it is nice out. I don't even let it see rain. Just to get used to the shift pattern and the short throw. I have big plans for this car but I need to master it first!!!! Just mastered the locker so it don't jerk on me. That took a while but I don't even notice it now except for the clicking. Should have been there when I first tried it out. ...........
Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be to upgrade to a better flowing Clutch Master Cylinder. You mentioned the Clutch being the Factory Original. I'm assuming the MC is as well.

Look into replacing the poorly flowing stock unit with a TICK Performance Master Cylinder. I added one of these with my Monster Clutch installation this past Spring and had/have absolutely no complaints.

If a TICK MC doesn't cure the shifting problem you may have internal transmission troubles brewing. Good luck, man.

BTW, Nice looking ride!

Last edited by Mumbles; 08-25-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, with all the mods it still has the stock clutch? How many miles on the car? To answer your question, could be the hydrolics acting up or it could be the shift fork in the tranny. Could be something as simple as the stops on the Pro 5.0 shifter you have... Do you think the clutch is releasing all the way when the pedal is down?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Looks like a nice clean ride BTW!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

50,000 miles on car, 180 miles on engine.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
Wow, with all the mods it still has the stock clutch? How many miles on the car? To answer your question, could be the hydrolics acting up or it could be the shift fork in the tranny. Could be something as simple as the stops on the Pro 5.0 shifter you have... Do you think the clutch is releasing all the way when the pedal is down?

I would say no but I'm no transmission expert. It grinds sometimes in 2nd with clutch all the way down and is real notchy going in to 3rd. So start with the MC? How do I check the Pro 5.0?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, nice ride. Sucks about the transmission. You could have a issue with the Master Cylinder as some have said, it could be the clutch, or it might be the transmission itself. To see if the clutch is releasing, put the car in 1st from a stop with the clutch all the way down and rev the engine. If the car moves, you clutch isn't releasing. If that's the case, it's probably you master cylinder or you slave cylinder. Good luck!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

What does the fluid look like in the master? If it isn't clear you should flush it out and get nice clean dot3 or 4 fluid in there. Mine had a problem with reverse once. Wouldn't want to go when warmed up. I put fresh fluid in it and problem went away for about a year. Then the master went out. I suspect because I had neglected the clutch fluid for so long. But when the master went I had the old clutch pedal stick to floor problem. So if its dirty I say flush it out and see how it acts. Check for any leaks in the hydraulics as well. Also I believe that adding headers puts more heat on that fluid. Making the fluid deteriorate a little faster than normal. So I added a heat sleave over the line running from the master to the slave and so far after 4 months or so the fluid is still nice and clear. Just something to think about if you have to replace the master or slave.

Good luck and nice ride. Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NewLS1Owner
Wow, nice ride. Sucks about the transmission. You could have a issue with the Master Cylinder as some have said, it could be the clutch, or it might be the transmission itself. To see if the clutch is releasing, put the car in 1st from a stop with the clutch all the way down and rev the engine. If the car moves, you clutch isn't releasing. If that's the case, it's probably you master cylinder or you slave cylinder. Good luck!!!
When you are at a stop and put it in first with the clutch all the way down you can hear the rear end clunk. Nothing should want to spin until I release the clutch correct? So most likely master?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 AM
Banned

nice ride