Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Trade or not to trade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too Trade or not to trade

First off my uncle has a 98 Z that has the works...headers, cam, exhaust, etc. The car has 108k miles on it but the motor only has 35k and the transmission has 6k, he recently got this car for my younger cousin but come to find out its too much power for my 17 yr old cousin and he cnt really drive a stick that well either. Anyway he ask me if i knew anybody that wants it and I started thinking that maybe i could trade and throw him a couple bones. My car is completely stock also 98 Z with 148k on it i kno my car is reliable, So my question is should i trade, yes im getting a great deal but with other ppls mods you never know what your getting and this would be my DD. Just want some suggestions from ppl that kno a lot about cars and mods. His car probably has over $30k worth of work done to it and i kno the guy my uncle got it from and hes a certified technician (Knows what he is doing). So yes or no

Heres a pic of the car
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7860002_n.jpg
Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would do it.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would not do it, simply because I don't like heavily modded cars for daily drivers. If it was going to be a weekend toy, that would be a different story.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would not do it, simply because I don't like heavily modded cars for daily drivers. If it was going to be a weekend toy, that would be a different story.
Can you elaborate on that a little more please
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChevyEnthusiast
What he is basically saying is dont get a heavily moddified car for a DD.

I would do this trade because of the mileage. 140k, has your tranny been replaced yet, if not it will need that soon. Pretty early to replace the motor and trans on his car though. Most likely was beaten pretty good but I personally would do it. How is the exterior on both.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Two things:

- You mentioned that the mods were done by a previous owner. Whether you knew the guy or not, I would never have 100% faith in someone else's build if I had to count on it for immediate daily duty as my only car. It might be fine or it might not, and there are risks with any used car; but the risk is usually higher with something heavily modded.

- You can't really expect long term 100% OEM reliability out of a heavily modded car with lots of aftermarket parts. A well maintained stock car will generally be more reliable (on average). When it comes to my daily drivers, I expect and demand best possibile reliability as a priority over performance, thus I always prefer a stock or near stock car. This is easy for me to say though, because I always have multiple cars and at least one of them always remains stock/near stock.

Overall, your current car does have 148k, so I guess you can expect some things to break on that one too, even though it's stock. If you've kept it well maintained though, and you're comfortable with it's history and known reliability, then it's a gamble to ditch that car for a heavily modded, unknown (to you) car for daily driver use.

My motto has always been to have a stock/near stock daily driver, and then a 2nd (and sometimes 3rd and 4th) car to play with. This has served me well.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know man, the fact that you daily drive your car, it's stock and you claim it's trouble free makes the decision kind of rough. But on the other hand, the Black Camaro has a basically new motor, has less miles on the body than your current car does as a whole, and it actually looks pretty clean from what I can see in the picture.

If he can provide receipts, or some documentation of the work that he's had done to the car and it seems legit, I think I would go ahead and do it. That's just me though, I don't think I would mind driving a modded car everyday like some people would, but a stock or close to stock one is always better of course.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

See the thing is i plan on buying a economical DD in the not so distant future. My tranny has never been replaced so i know that there will be some issues coming up with the car i have now, Thats one of the main reasons i want this other Z is bc of the low mileage and also the mods. I planned on doing everything thats done to that car to my car but by doing this im going to save a **** load in the long run.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

See the thing is i plan on buying a economical DD in the not so distant future.
As long as you can still afford to do this sooner rather than later, then the deal seems much more reasonable to me.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if it was built by a reputable person or shop id trade.

i have complete confidence in DDing my H/C/I setup though i prefer not to.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

^ This, listen to the man. Trade for the other Z, and then get a beater to DD. I mean a beater, that just gets you from point A to point B. I used to have one, and I had my nicer car tucked away in the garage. You can judge women by having a beater as well. Take them out in it, and see if they are turned off by it. Then after the 3rd date, take the Z out. Some interesting things have come my way by doing just that.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SM105K
^ This, listen to the man. Trade for the other Z, and then get a beater to DD. I mean a beater, that just gets you from point A to point B. I used to have one, and I had my nicer car tucked away in the garage. You can judge women by having a beater as well. Take them out in it, and see if they are turned off by it. Then after the 3rd date, take the Z out. Some interesting things have come my way by doing just that.
HAHA now thats a plan LOL
Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Its hard to say with the information provided. When you say the car has " the works...headers, cam, exhaust, etc." That is a VERY vague statement. Exactly what kind of camshaft is in it? That is going to make the difference between a quick DD and a car that would be a horrible DD.

But this really all comes down to you and what you want in a car. Sure the car has more money put into it, but is it in things that you want in a DD? Some prefer a more stock DD while many others on here have DD's with cams, etc. I would also say the cars "value" if you were going to sell both cars would be around the same (maybe +/- 1000-1500) but there going to appeal to different buyers. Like someone else said a lot of people don't like buying cars that are too heavily modded because it can lead to costly repairs if not done right. And for those saying to buy a beater its all in what you want. I prefer to have a nice quick car as a DD opposed to having a weekend toy that sits in the garage while I drive around a POS. Again its all in what you want in a car
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Alright I think i have talked myself into it... I hate to get rid of my car bc i have gotten close to it but then i again i think this is a hell of a deal i cant pass up. One more thing would yall take the TT Ms thats on my car right now and trade them with the C5s thats on my uncles? The c5s look badass, but I got the TTs earlier this yr 1400.00 w/ tires. And all hes goin to do is sell my car.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Its hard to say with the information provided. When you say the car has " the works...headers, cam, exhaust, etc." That is a VERY vague statement. Exactly what kind of camshaft is in it? That is going to make the difference between a quick DD and a car that would be a horrible DD.

But this really all comes down to you and what you want in a car. Sure the car has more money put into it, but is it in things that you want in a DD? Some prefer a more stock DD while many others on here have DD's with cams, etc. I would also say the cars "value" if you were going to sell both cars would be around the same (maybe +/- 1000-1500) but there going to appeal to different buyers. Like someone else said a lot of people don't like buying cars that are too heavily modded because it can lead to costly repairs if not done right. And for those saying to buy a beater its all in what you want. I prefer to have a nice quick car as a DD opposed to having a weekend toy that sits in the garage while I drive around a POS. Again its all in what you want in a car
I dnt know exactly what every mod he has done to it...My uncle told me it had headers, cam, intake, exhaust, tune, 4:11 gears, performance clutch, i think he said rear end had been replaced also, I drove the car today and yeah it will definelty be a different drive than my car but i dnt think it will be that bad as DD at least until i get a beater (probably around tax time).
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow 30k? Did a stealership do the work?!?!? I dd my cam bolt on car everyday, the only thing i hate is filling it up lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usafws6
Wow 30k? Did a stealership do the work?!?!? I dd my cam bolt on car everyday, the only thing i hate is filling it up lol.
Yes very well known shop around here rebuilt the motor and trans (By well known i mean they will hit u in the head with prices, but do the best job in town). The guy that sold it to my uncle did all the mods and he has over 20 yrs exp as a technician. I think i would be crazy to pass this up. So how bad are we talkin here on mpg...LOL
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't think for a split second! You are getting a steal of a deal! DO IT
Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Depends on your preference on the wheels. Everyone will have a different opinion, but I would go with the better tires. Definitely make the trade depending on price difference. How much are you throwing in?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Kind of a stupid question but does this car with "the works" have its factory 10 bolt? That can make or break this deal. If it has a 9 inch it would be a steal entirely. if it has the 10 bolt i'd still trade but i wouldn't go passed 3k RPMs