New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS car, just bought a basketcase..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS car, just bought a basketcase..

I sold my 97 ws6 last november after a ton of modifications and countless hours in the garage. Making smog legal power without any power adders on an LT1 platform is no easy task and the smog laws finally proved to make it more trouble than what it was worth so I sold it.

I just rescued a 98 SS from an abusive owner and it has certainly seen better days. It currently has no engine or trans but the body is straight and it has low miles. I ready an article in GMHTP about them installing an LS376 into a Z28 and would like to do something along the same lines.

However, I am starting this project with no foundation, I have the wiring harness, PCM, AC parts, alternator, intake manifold and throttle body. I have a couple of brackets but they look foreign to me because I am not familiar with LS motors. I have some questions in regards to compatibility between the two platforms outside of what I learned reading the article with the knock sensors, and 24X conversion module, throttle body, etc, and I am hoping someone here can help me out.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would probably get more responses if I asked a question lol, what is the difference between an LS1 and an LS3 throttle body except the obvious one is cable and the other is FBW. If I were to purchase a crate LS3 can I put a stock LS1 throttle body or do I have to go aftermarket?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

The ls3s have 4 bolt TBs where the ls1s have 3 bolt TBs. You can buy aftermarket 4 bolt TBs with the cable though. Where are you planning to source your ls3?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably scoggin dickey or one of those unless you know of somewhere else in which case I am open to suggestions.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Post up pictures of said foreign brackety
Old 09-04-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly man for simplicity purposes I think you would be better off getting a 408 shortblock from someone like tsp and just building a top end for it. The gmpp is good if your looking to stay mild and have a warranty but a 408 can be builr much cheaper and make more power.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Go with a 99 up LS1
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

408 is out of the question due to the emissions laws in california, a truck engine cannot go in a car and a car engine cannot go in a truck. The powerplant is something that can be handled sometime down the road but what I am concerned about right now is getting the car ready for a motor. I didn't take the car apart so at the moment I am a little behind the ball when it comes to tracking down accessories. I have a few brackets that I believe are for the ac compressor but I think I am missing the alternator/power steering bracket, power steering pump and reservior. Does anyone have any closeup pics of the accessories mounted on the front of the block and maybe some suggestions to where I may be able to source these parts? Also does anyone know if the ls3 oil pan will clear a tubular k member or am I better off just installing an fbody oil pan on an ls3 to facilitate installation?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you re going to order a new engine do yourself a favor and when you call scroggy dickins to order your engine TELL them you are using it on a lS1 platform they will can modify the engine to suit those needs and include all the parts you need for the swap.

but all you really need is a 24x reluctor wheel or converter box if stock wheel, its better to try to use a ls1 map sensor instead of the ls3 one but it can be used, you can use the ls3 top end just get a TB with cable drivin 4 bolt, and make sure you get a f-body crank pully with it the ls3 wont work. you can use the stock ls1 knock sensors but you will need to etend the harness for the ls3 cam sensor.

its really not that hard hopefully this car does have all the emissions stuff or you are going to have to re source all that as well. there is actually a thread in here on exactly how to install a ls3 in a f body, check the conversions and hybrids thread as well as the generation 4 engine threads
Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

"408 is out of the question due to the emissions laws in california, a truck engine cannot go in a car and a car engine cannot go in a truck."

Since the LS1 and LQ9 / LQ4 look identical on the outside, how in the HELL are the commies in California going to know one from the other? Everything bolts up exactly the same.

You'll need an F-Body oil pan as well
Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't imagine anyone knowing if the engine belongs in a truck or a car.