Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about headers

So I think it's time I moved onto my next mod. I was thinking headers. First off, is there any mods I should do before headers? Or is it okay to go straight to it from where I am now?

What size headers should I go with? What are the preferred brands out there? Will it be a good idea to add a muffler to my car with my current exhaust set up? A tune is pretty much required, how much HP can I expect to gain after headers and a tune? Are there any negatives to adding headers? I heard ground clearance is one, any others?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming you're getting LT headers (either 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 would be fine for your application), you're going to have to buy either a new catted or off road Y-Pipe to go with it as well so add that to your list. After those two things are installed, just get it tuned and you should be good to go. I would expect about anywhere from 15-20rwhp gains, could definitely be more though.

For the most part, all headers will give you about the same gains. However, some have different coatings and that type of thing, but other than that, there's no reason to get caught up on the brand, just buy what you can afford. For a car on stock height, you're not going to have ground clearance issues either.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

15-20WHP? So that's about 30HP or so to the crank if I'm right.

Will headers affect fuel economy at all?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Also yes, I'm looking at LT's. Those are the only headers worth a damn. Go Long tubes or go home.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, just about, but I mean, you could possibly get more than 15-20 of it though. That's a very rough estimate and it's based off of the average numbers I see on here.

With LT headers and a good tune, you should see either the same gas mileage or better.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

One more question. Any loss in low end torque? I know after my exhaust I felt a small loss in low end torque, but it pulls stronger in the higher RPM's now. Something similar with headers?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

headers and lid are usually my first 2 mods on these cars. I Have done a lot of header installs from kooks, pacesetters, bbk, hooker, and ebay. Myself personally think pacesetters would be my choice if choosing. Fitment has been great on every install (prob 8) and tsp are a great group of guys to order from. But if your looking for a name most ppl will say kooks. Which are also a great brand but your gonna be paying a little more for them. Whatever you decide to go with you will here pros and cons from everyone. But good luck in choosing.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Upgrading to long tube headers will do nothing but help your performance, and if you can keep your foot out of it you might actually see a slight increase in mileage on the highway. I would recommend taking a look at our 1 7/8s stainless steel longtubes and matching stainless yipe.
Here is a link to our headers - http://www.texas-speed.com/p-291-tex...e-headers.aspx
Here is the link to our stainless ypipe - http://www.texas-speed.com/p-293-tex...ad-y-pipe.aspx
Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

WhiteKnight-

It's not uncommon to feel some low-end torque loss after you install LT's, especially if you don't have a tune. A lot of people do seem to experience that. But, if you do have a good tune, that should usually take care of the issue. Major part of how your car will react to this has to do with the tune.

I know my Dad's WS6 didn't pull too hard down low after he got his Kook's LT's put on, but once he got a tune for it, that thing ran pretty wicked all over the RPM's. I personally even noticed that after my O/R Y installation, my car wasn't pulling as hard as it did down low, but up top it definitely pulls a lot harder.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Is there a sound difference between headers? Depending on the brand?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

I know a P&P TB makes most people's cars feel more responsive, so that might help out a bit with the feeling of torque loss on the low end.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would have a hard time distinguishing the sound differences between different LT brands. The way your car will sound is mostly going to be made up of your muffler/midpipe combo. The LT's of course will add to the sound, but like I said, it's going to be real hard to find the specific sound differences between the different types of LT header's themselves.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Bang for your buck, i would go with pacesetter ceramic coat LT's with either pace setter ypipe or tsp ypipe that what i got in my built. If moneys not an issue I would go with kooks LT's with kooks true duel all the way back. Make sure you get the ceramic coated to keep as much heat possible out of the engine bay.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your future plans for the car? I had a less expensive brand of header and a weld gave out so I had to toss them. If you are going to go to heads and cam I would suggest coating which ever brand of header you get to keep the underhood temps down.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
WhiteKnight-

It's not uncommon to feel some low-end torque loss after you install LT's, especially if you don't have a tune. A lot of people do seem to experience that. But, if you do have a good tune, that should usually take care of the issue. Major part of how your car will react to this has to do with the tune.

I know my Dad's WS6 didn't pull too hard down low after he got his Kook's LT's put on, but once he got a tune for it, that thing ran pretty wicked all over the RPM's. I personally even noticed that after my O/R Y installation, my car wasn't pulling as hard as it did down low, but up top it definitely pulls a lot harder.
I think people saying their car lost low end is because they gain so much top end power. I would like to see a dyno before and after just headers because I really doubt you lose anything at all on the bottom.

I would go with TSP all the way. I have their ceramic headers on my car and love them, would have went with their y-pipe (and still might), but they were back ordered when I did my install and I didn't have time to wait (as it was I got everything four days before the Power Tour). Now that they are stainless it's really a no-brain-er, much better buy than Pacesetters unless you are trying to go as cheap as possible and getting the painted ones. The TSP y-pipe is a WAY better deal too, it's cheaper than the Pacesetter, stainless, and much better flowing!

You will need a different muffler unless you are getting a catted y-pipe though, it will be stupid loud with your exhaust. My car is race car loud with my Borla adjustable opened up, and I doubt the LM1 is much more quiet than straight piped haha. As far as a tune, I picked up a used Predator for $150 on here that works perfect. Car runs great, gets ~30mpg straight highway, and no CELs. Running TSP headers, Pacesetter ORY, Borla adjustable with a cutout in place of the adjustable plates, lid, and P&P TB.