New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Removal for Winter Storage (1999 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Removal for Winter Storage (1999 Z28)

I am putting my 1999 LS1 Z28 in storage this weekend and this is the first time the car will not be in my garage. I was thinking about just removing the battery rather than a "battery maintainer" because I wont have much access over the next 3-4 months.

Question: someone at work said not to remove the battery because the car may think it has been stolen and the "Theftlock II" may lock me out of the PCM and then I would have to tow the car in the spring to a the shop to have it cleared so I could start the car. Is this true?

I have never head of this.......any thougts?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally would recommend using a battery maintainer, but I realize that may not be the best choice for you. I have never encountered the issue you mentioned strictly because the battery was disconnected for an extended period of time.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I pull the batter when I store my car and have never had any problems. Starts up just fine when I drop it back in for spring. Just my experience so take it for what it's worth...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by JBK00SS
Question: someone at work said not to remove the battery because the car may think it has been stolen and the "Theftlock II" may lock me out of the PCM and then I would have to tow the car in the spring to a the shop to have it cleared so I could start the car. Is this true?
No, this is not true at all. However, there is a valid concern in a similar regard.

The "Theft Lock" feature that your co-worker was referring to does in fact exist, but it has nothing to do with locking you out of the PCM nor preventing the car from starting. It's a security feature for the radio, and you can tell if it's activated by a flashing red light on the face of the head unit. If this feature is active and you disconnect power, you will need to "unlock" the radio with a code before it will work again. Here is a link to further details on the feature and how to deal with it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6048829-post6.html

As for what to do with your battery, unless you have some sort of excessive drain on the system or an old/weak battery, it should take a long time for the battery to discharge to below cranking voltage. My '98 car spends most of it's life in storage, only being driven about once every 6-8 weeks during the on-season on average, and sitting for a straight 5-6 months each winter. I don't remove the battery, and I don't use a tender either. About once every 2 months (battery usually drops to about 12.0x-12.2x volts during that period) during the winter, I hook up a smart charger on a very low 2 amp setting until it shuts off automatically, which usually takes several hours. This brings voltage back up to the 12.7 range, then I repeat the process in another couple of months. Most people don't do it this way, but I'm still able to get 5+ years out of Delco batteries like this, so life span seems uneffected. Actually, I could probably get 6 or 7 years of life, but I usually just swap them out at that point as a habit.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I usually just pull mine out when putting into storage and stick the battery in the basement, car fires right up in spring.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Launching!

This will only be my second time putting my bird in storage. Last year I left the battery in and once a.weekend started her up, just for of keeping everything nice and lubed. Since you won't be seeing the car for awhile, I would remove the battery and not worry about it not starting in spring.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just disconnect mine and leave it in the Car and it is just fine when i am ready to drive it again !
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Teching In

I don't have a flashing RED light on the face of the radio, but I do have a flashing RED light on the top of the dash when the door is opened...does not flash when the door is closed....any concern?

Thanks for the info, you all have been a great help.

Last edited by JBK00SS; 12-02-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by JBK00SS
I don't have a flashing RED light on the face of the radio, but I do have a flashing RED light on the top of the dash when the door is opened...does not flash when the door is closed....any concern?
Nope, nothing to be concerned about at all. The flashing light on top of the dash is for the factory alarm, and it has nothing to do with the theft-lock feature of the radio. They are totally separate items.

Sounds like your theft-lock was never activated, so you should have no worries should you choose to pull the battery.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm so glad they put so much effort into keeping those WONDERFUL Delco radios safe in our cars, lol...
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pull the battery out and take it into the garage with all the other batteries not in use during the winter. Riding mower, motorcycles, spares, Camaro, wife's other car ... they all get lined up and maintained throughout the winter. If you have room, I'd recommend it. If you don't have the facilities, do whatever works for you. I'd at least maintain it every other month for an overnight charge.

Quick Reply: Battery Removal for Winter Storage (1999 Z28)