Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers + MM's installed! Questions/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headers + MM's installed! Questions/opinions

At long last I got my ARH LT's and ORY and Poly motor mounts installed yesterday. It took about 21 hours overall because of the motor mounts and doing it on jack stands but its done. Got a couple questions though.

1. We had to remove the dipstick for the oil and we got it seated back down but couldn't figure out which of the numerous bolts was supposed to hold it in place (it was 2:30am by this point) so I drove home without putting it in. I've heard that it isn't necessary to put the bolt back in but I wanted your opinions.

2. The car shakes a lot and is really noisy, kind of like a banging almost, when its in reverse or idle - low speed in gear. Any ideas if this is the motor mounts of something with the exhaust?

3. The car seems like it doesn't want to move as much really under throttle to accelerate, it takes more pressure on the throttle to go up in RPM and it doesn't gain speed as much as it used to, is this simply a tuning issue?

4. Last one I think, the car seems to be running really rich, any input on this? I drove the car ~60 miles home yesterday and it chewed through 1/2 tank of fuel....I assume a tune would fix this but thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1.I would find the bolt that holds the dipstick and put it back in, it is in between the 2nd &3rd exhaust port.
2. You will feel more vibrations in the car due to the fact that the polys are stiffer than the OE rubber ones. If you hear banging and clanking its not the motor mounts, start checking for marks of stuff hitting.
3. You should not have any issues like you are describing from a motor mount or header install,, Not sure what you have going on there,, Perhaps you disconnected something during the install,, Is the car throwing any codes?
4. what makes you think the car is running rich? your fuel milage would not be noticably worse from a header install, honestly it usually is better.
It sounds like a tune is definately a good idea, I would say if you plan on any more mods do them before the tune, that way everything works together.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Dipstick Tube Bolt has a 15mm Head and is pretty short. I couldn't tell you the thread pitch, but if you can't find it, head to the dealership and tell them what bolt you need. It'll be be expensive, but if it were my car I wouldn't leave the tube open to vibrations from rattling around unsecured.

Banging, huh? I'm with RARON455. Jack the car back up and see if you can find where things are hitting the underbody. With the Poly Mounts you really shouldn't have much flex from the exhaust, but maybe you have a clearance issue with some new piping that needs to be addressed. Only way to know for sure is to look.

As for the sluggishness, I again agree with RARON. Are you throwing any codes? If so, get it checked. Did you have the Plugs, Plug Wires, Coil Packs out of the car when you did the install? If so, is there a chance that any of them could have been damaged? (I.E. a Spark Plug getting dropped.) Double and Triple check that all the Wires are in good shape and completely seated onto each Plug and Coil Pack. Then double check everything else that you had apart during your installation.

A Tune is a great idea. Hit up Frost. He did mine and my brother's cars after we finshed installing Headers (and an LS6 Intake on my car) and we were very satisfied.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

After this post I went out and did a visual inspection and texted the guy that helped with the install. I really hope I don't have an install horror story on my hands here

First thing I noticed was that the white connectors for the wiring and the coil pack on the left (passenger) bank was not connected at all so I drove the car ~60 miles on 4 cylinders apparently, so I assume I was fueling those 4 with no spark...

Next thing I noticed was that the second plug wire on the left bank was attached to the spark plug but wasn't on the coil pack.

The front 5 header bolts appear to be seated flush to the headers on the left bank but I can't see the 6th one in the back at all to see if it backed out. On the right bank, the side whose coil pack was connected, the front 5 visually look ok but the 6th one in the way back backed out a lot and I can't reach it anymore than I have already to tighten it with the car level on the ground.

Other than that I think the only other issue is that some of the plastic shells for some wiring were close to the passenger side header. Now we had originally had the passenger side mount and header installed (before removing them to make the driver side easier - less flex on the motor) but we noticed the wires so my friend heat wrapped them with some heat resistant tape. But now I noticed that the wires aren't sitting where they were the first time the header was in so the heat wrap is sitting higher and isn't covering the entire affected area where it might be a concern from the header heat

Pretty sure thats the issues I'm facing....I'd be lying if I said I wasn't kinda scared about whats going on with the engine.

I haven't gotten an OBDII scanner yet but a friend has one. I knew there would be codes and at idle and very slow speed the SES light was solid. On the way home driving though it was flashing and I didn't know why. Searched it this morning and found it means multiple random misfires. I was driving on the highway all the way home, maximum rpm was roughly 4000-4500 and I might have gotten it up to 75mph like that
Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like plugging your coil packs back in would solve a good bit of your problem

Mark.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Damn quit drinking and installing parts at 2 in the morning
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man if you only knew. We started I think at like 7:30am Friday morning and I didn't get out of there until 3:30am Saturday. The motor mounts gave us tons of problems. No alcohol involved.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

I gotta lift so it not as hard.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lucky. I was trying to get access to one but the best one was $25/hr so my buddy said we should just try it on our own...it was his first time without a lift and he said he is never doing it again. I'm just hoping there isn't any damage to the engine and that tightening what needs tightened wont be too inconvenient but its so hard to reach everything. Hopefully there are no other codes prompting me to buy more expensive parts but we'll see. I have to wait until monday to get a scanner. I'm not going to risk driving the car to Advanced to scan it
Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Did you remove the passenger side coil packs? If so did you remove all of them or some?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah we had removed the passenger side coil packs to get to the header bolts and plugs easier...it came off as one piece after the bolts were taken out.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

How many bolts hold it in?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Umm let's see here I believe he said it was 5 bolts but I could be mistaken. I know on the passenger side he said we didn't have to put the farthest back bolt in and it would be fine, he hasn't had a problem on any of his running it that way.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

So you dont have the coil bolt or header bolt?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure I kept all of the hardware but I have the 6 header bolts in and then the bolts for the coil packs, minus the coil pack bolt in the very back.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should be fine. change the oil to see if theres fuel in it. did it run good now that its a v8 instead of a i4?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need all your header bolts. you do not need all the coil pack bolts.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

My friend said to pull a plug and check it which I am going to do later today if I have time. I will be sure to do an oil change also. I have all 12 header bolts in the car (provided the back passenger one didn't back out and fell out since I can't see back there) but I have to retighten the back driver side at least.

Haven't tried starting the car since the coil pack was plugged in...I was waiting until I could retighten those bolts and get a scanner first, which a friend is supposed to be bringing over tomorrow
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

In addition, I have also bought a bottle of Lucas Fuel System Cleaner that my friend suggested I dump in the gas tank when I fill it up next
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
My friend said to pull a plug and check it which I am going to do later today if I have time. I will be sure to do an oil change also. I have all 12 header bolts in the car (provided the back passenger one didn't back out and fell out since I can't see back there) but I have to retighten the back driver side at least.

Haven't tried starting the car since the coil pack was plugged in...I was waiting until I could retighten those bolts and get a scanner first, which a friend is supposed to be bringing over tomorrow
Good plan.

I'd pull all the plugs on the one side that didn't have a coil pack connected and crank the motor a little bit to get all the gas out of the cylinders.

You essentially dumped a 1/4 tank of gas into your motor without having any spark to one side, it's probably flooded. You need to let that gas evaporate somehow.

Also, the plugs are probably soaked with gas as well, if you start it with it being flooded you risk fouling out the plugs.

Good Luck. Hopefully nothing really bad happened, cars are very forgiving.